News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yeah. I'm thinking and the Chinese are really the only other stand out for whom this is the norm.
See tourists from any other country and unless it something special like a school trip there'll only be a handful.
Chinese are a bit different though, they're usually on those package tours where they visit cities for an hour, eat at a Chinese restaurant, then yet on a bus. The Spanish tourists don't usually seem to be part of tour groups.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on April 13, 2017, 02:04:00 AM
Yeah. I'm thinking and the Chinese are really the only other stand out for whom this is the norm.
See tourists from any other country and unless it something special like a school trip there'll only be a handful.
Chinese are a bit different though, they're usually on those package tours where they visit cities for an hour, eat at a Chinese restaurant, then yet on a bus. The Spanish tourists don't usually seem to be part of tour groups.

Japanese also do a lot of group tours.

Monoriu

I hate travelling in groups.  Lots of hidden costs as they try to make me shop and get kick-backs.  I also hate the loss of freedom, the terrible food, need to talk to other human beings, going to places that I may not like etc. 

But I may consider travel groups if I go to more exotic places, and where crime is a problem.  If I go to India, Xinjiang, South America, Egypt, Africa etc, I may choose to join a group. 

Josquius

I haven't noticed Japanese group tours for many years. Whenever I see Japanese tourists they're usually 2 or 3 strong.

Yes. Group tours seem my idea of hell.
Even in crime ridden places I'm not sure they're a great idea. They seem to attract attention far more than a few people would.

With the Chinese it's particularly weird. Why are they coming all the way to Europe to eat at Chinese restaurants.
To do this a few times, sure. I get it. British tourists are the same.
But every day of the trip?
I know you've said before it's because the restaurant has a deal with the agency. But that the participants sign up for this.....
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on April 13, 2017, 02:11:16 AM
I haven't noticed Japanese group tours for many years. Whenever I see Japanese tourists they're usually 2 or 3 strong.

Yes. Group tours seem my idea of hell.
Even in crime ridden places I'm not sure they're a great idea. They seem to attract attention far more than a few people would.

I see Japanese group tours in Hong Kong all the time.  They tend to go to very good restaurants.  Chinese group tours tend to go to the cheapest places. 

Lots of criminals target Chinese/Asians.  It is a lot safer to travel in large groups, though even large groups can be robbed. 

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 13, 2017, 01:55:26 AM
Another of those great unsolved mysteries of life - why is it that Spanish people travel in such huge gangs? :hmm:

Similar to what Mono says, we're a gregarious people and tend to be more comfortable around our own. If it's not a big group tour, it's not unusual for groups of friends to travel together abroad. Benefits are similar to the ones that Mono points out (language, ease of organization...). There's also plenty of individual people travelling around, but you won't notice them as much because they won't be speaking loudly to each other in Spanish in the street.  :P

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on April 13, 2017, 04:21:02 AM
Another of those great unsolved mysteries of life - why is it that Spanish people travel in such huge gangs? :hmm:

Similar to what Mono says, we're a gregarious people and tend to be more comfortable around our own. If it's not a big group tour, it's not unusual for groups of friends to travel together abroad. Benefits are similar to the ones that Mono points out (language, ease of organization...). There's also plenty of individual people travelling around, but you won't notice them as much because they won't be speaking loudly to each other in Spanish in the street.  :P

Spaniards in my experience also seem disrespectful and rude. Large groups speaking loudly in quiet compartments on trains and minor, but still annoying, stuff like that.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on April 13, 2017, 04:39:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 13, 2017, 04:21:02 AM

Spaniards in my experience also seem disrespectful and rude. Large groups speaking loudly in quiet compartments on trains and minor, but still annoying, stuff like that.

We don't usually do inside voices.

Zanza

I travelled in groups before to places were I don't want to travel on my own or just with friends, e.g. recently Sudan or the Himalyas. Way too much to organize in a foreign culture if you don't join a group.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on April 13, 2017, 02:08:01 AM
I hate travelling in groups.  Lots of hidden costs as they try to make me shop and get kick-backs.  I also hate the loss of freedom, the terrible food, need to talk to other human beings, going to places that I may not like etc. 

But I may consider travel groups if I go to more exotic places, and where crime is a problem.  If I go to India, Xinjiang, South America, Egypt, Africa etc, I may choose to join a group.

Nice potshot at CHINESE Turkestan Mono!  :lol: I am sure Beijing will appreciate.  :P

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2017, 02:11:28 PM
FREE EAST TURKESTAN

Spicy prefers Muslims to Chinese? Good to know.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Admiral Yi

Turns out the United Chinese dude is Vietnamese.