News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

That news came out a few days back.

He practices medicine in Hicktown... I mean E-town.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2017, 02:22:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2017, 02:19:29 PM
I like Chinese.

Even when they're taller than you?

Sure.  I almost bought a Yao jersey a few years back-- TRUE STORY.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

I consider to go to Israel in May.  :Joos  Has anybody here been there? Any tips what to see? I would probably go from the 22nd May to 3rd June or so and then have 2 days in Istanbul on my flight back.

I am currently looking at:
Jerusalem (Old town, Yad Vashem etc.)
Tel Aviv-Jaffa
Haifa and Akko
Dead Sea, Masada

Possibilities:
2 or 3 day trip to Petra in Jordan (probably need a Jordanian visa for a land border though)
Eilat for some snorkeling
Sea of Galilee?
Timna Park?
Nazareth?
Bethlehem/Jericho/Mar Saba Monastery in the Westbank

Josquius

Prices are low after today's stabbing?
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2017, 11:17:58 AM
I consider to go to Israel in May.  :Joos  Has anybody here been there? Any tips what to see? I would probably go from the 22nd May to 3rd June or so and then have 2 days in Istanbul on my flight back.

I am currently looking at:
Jerusalem (Old town, Yad Vashem etc.)
Tel Aviv-Jaffa
Haifa and Akko
Dead Sea, Masada

Possibilities:
2 or 3 day trip to Petra in Jordan (probably need a Jordanian visa for a land border though)
Eilat for some snorkeling
Sea of Galilee?
Timna Park?
Nazareth?
Bethlehem/Jericho/Mar Saba Monastery in the Westbank

I have. I went there for a week, hung out in Jerusalem for a few days, then drove to the north, then went south to the dead sea/masada.

I hate guides, but you may want one in jerusalem because I tried to see stuff just wandering around and had no clue what I was looking at. I got a guide to bethleham--it seems that is the thing to do.

Something to keep in mind - that i wasn't ready for - the country shuts down on Friday afternoon. I was planning to hike on a Friday, and was told I had to be out of the parking lot by like 2 or 3 in the afternoon. So I had nothing to do that afternoon--but saw the jordan river was nearby on my map so I drove over and washed my face in the river. So when I die I have that going for me. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Did you rent a car? I read that they have very good public transport.

And I read about the shabbat and everything shutting down. I'll probably try to fly out the second Friday (international airport is open) and might try to go to Petra or the Westbank on the first Friday.

CountDeMoney

Are you going for work related reasons for a specific...event? One of the guys here is, just curious if that is in your field. :unsure:  :ph34r:

Zanza

Nah, I am a boring office drone working in IT. No business related stuff in Israel.

I would just go there for tourism as the country seems very interesting and the climate seems to be good in the timeslot I have.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2017, 11:53:29 AM
So I had nothing to do that afternoon--but saw the jordan river was nearby on my map so I drove over and washed my face in the river. So when I die I have that going for me. :)

Is it true that the Jordan River is chilly and wide?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2017, 12:50:13 PM
Did you rent a car? I read that they have very good public transport.

And I read about the shabbat and everything shutting down. I'll probably try to fly out the second Friday (international airport is open) and might try to go to Petra or the Westbank on the first Friday.

I rented a car. In Jerusalem I took public transport, but that isn't practical if you are outside of cities. You really need to rent a car.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2017, 01:35:40 PM

Is it true that the Jordan River is chilly and wide?

No, it is not true at all. It is more like a stream from what I saw.

As I mentioned, I didn't really have plans to visit it--I just couldn't do what I planned and saw it on a map. The place I saw it was in Golan. So they have a tourist area to see the river, and you have to pay $20 to get access. When I pulled up, I was like, "fuck that, I'm not paying $20 just to see a river". So I kept going down the road, and found a dirt road going in the right direction a couple miles later, which led to a cowfield and a short walk to the river. In hindsight, it may not have been the best idea to wander around like that since supposedly there are landmines in the area, but there were cows so it was probably okay.

I was really disappointed in the river--but from what I later read it was much more forceful in ancient times--irrigation has reduced the flow quite a bit.

Interestingly--on the drive out of Golan I went over a bridge that noted we were crossing was the jordan river. I stopped the car and walked back to verify--going into Golan--there is no sign marking the river. So tourists going in will cross the river unaware and proceed to the $20 viewing area. Had there been a sign marking the river, I just would have parked on the side of the road and walked down.

Admiral Yi

So they tried to Jew you on the Jordan.

jimmy olsen

So, the security personal that dragged the guy off the plane were impersonating police

https://youtu.be/pNHh4eE4EQM?t=135
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2017, 11:04:20 PM
So, the security personal that dragged the guy off the plane were impersonating police

https://youtu.be/pNHh4eE4EQM?t=135

They were not impersonating police, they're security officers with police powers.