News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2017, 07:14:47 AM
The German language music scene is always something that has slightly amazed me. So many popular bands which I've never even heard of.
Makes sense with Germany, it's a pretty big place and then there's Austria and Switzerland too.
Always amazes me though how much smaller countries have lively purely domestic music scenes.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Yeah, it's a market of close to 100 million people. Mind you, you additionally still have local stars in both Austria and Switzerland who are unknown or only moderately known in Germany.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2017, 07:20:12 AM
The German language music scene is always something that has slightly amazed me. So many popular bands which I've never even heard of.
Makes sense with Germany, it's a pretty big place and then there's Austria and Switzerland too.
Always amazes me though how much smaller countries have lively purely domestic music scenes.

German is the language with more native speakers in Europe, that's something that is often forgotten, but my impression is that these bands generally speaking don't "travel" well (then you have Rammstein, of course, and to a much lesser degree Die Toten Hosen).

Syt

Die Toten Hosen, btw, recently gave a concert in a students' apartment in 9th District here in Vienna.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2017, 07:20:12 AM

About 7 millions franco Quebecois have an entire music, tv & cinema star systems that generates millions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

FunkMonk

My favorite new Thing That Annoys Me is seeing the million red MAGA hats that tourists and their kids wear while gawking at everything in sight.

Donald may be an incompetent, lazy moron, but he does have an eye for branding.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 18, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
My favorite new Thing That Annoys Me is seeing the million red MAGA hats that tourists and their kids wear while gawking at everything in sight.

They're going to be disappointed with the Holocaust Center.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2017, 12:46:03 PM

They're going to be disappointed with the Holocaust Center.

It's the first stop out of Union Station.

derspiess

When I first saw him wearing that dorky hat I never thought in a million years that would become a look people would actually want to replicate.  But obviously with this guy, practically everything went the way it wasn't supposed to.

I have to admit, part of me admires how it triggers people.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

*looks at music posters*

You kids and your shitty music. Sad!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2017, 01:02:22 PM

When I first saw him wearing that dorky hat I never thought in a million years that would become a look people would actually want to replicate.  But obviously with this guy, practically everything went the way it wasn't supposed to.

I thought he started wearing the hat to cover up his embarrassing hair.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

It's kinda funny in that 99% of DC hates Donald and of course every child in the country comes in wearing that hat   :D

CountDeMoney

Less bulky and easier to dry clean than your hood, too.  Keeps its shape longer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien