News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2016, 02:59:12 AM
Thus far from the testimonials of Languishites who have read Piketty it seems like time would be better spent reading and analysing the lyrics of Nicki Minaj. :mellow:

The first two sections are very good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2016, 02:59:12 AM
Thus far from the testimonials of Languishites who have read Piketty it seems like time would be better spent reading and analysing the lyrics of Nicki Minaj. :mellow:

I read the comic book version and found it mildly amusing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

'123456' Tops Yearly List of Most Common Passwords (Again)

Daniel Bean
Editorial Assistant
January 19, 2016

You'd like to think that we humans are getting progressively better at using these computer things as the years pass. But a quick scan through 2015′s list of most commonly used passwords will smash and set fire to that bit of optimistic thinking.

For a fifth straight year, the secure phrases "123456" and "password" were the most-used and second-most-used passwords by Interneters in North America and Western Europe, according to SplashData's annual "Worst Passwords" ranking.

The company, which develops password management software, uses aggregations of leaked passwords as sample sizes to determine the most popular security phrases in circulation. Though "123456" and "password" have been the most abundant among the millions of leaked passwords analyzed yearly by SplashData since 2011, security expert and author Mike Burkett (who's collaborated with the company on its annual lists) has had the passphrases marked as No. 1 and 2 on his "Worst Passwords of All Time" list since 2005.

Other worst passwords on SplashData's latest list were "qwerty," "football," "dragon," and "111111."

Read the entire 2015 ranking below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

Liep

My colleague got through to a quiz on the radio. It was a google translate quiz (english lyrics to danish read aloud by google). He got Psycho Killer but failed on This Must Be the Place. I'm embarrassed for my company. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

These days it is a trend for beggars to dress up as statues
This is succesful because In doing this they upgrade their status from mere beggars to that of buskers.  Despite a lack of talent on their part.
Or so conventional wisdom would go.
A thought today however; maybe part of the reason this is so successful is because the act of dressing up like a statue makes a beggar look like less of a beggar, and instead a part of the background scenery.
People like their beggars invisible.
Thus the reward.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2016, 06:18:23 PM
Whatsapp has dropped its cheap yearly fee.

I have never paid for Whatsapp. :huh:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2016, 05:39:15 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

I was going to post that same joke until I realized that you included the link at the end of your post.  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2016, 02:27:16 AM
Might be easier to do something where you're not dealing with customers all day.

He'd do fine as a bank teller.  He'd also do well in a back office/operations type role.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

So, Raz, how do you think it went?

Malthus

My memory for names is awful. For some reason, I can remember nicknames I have given people in my head, but not their real names.

There is this guy I see around the office - he works in a different specialty, so I hardly have any dealings with him, except in the coffee room. In my mind, I call him "the Nose Hair Man" because he has very prominent nose hairs that appear to be growing into his moustache. Every once in a while I have reason to chat with him, but I can never remember his actual name - I even looked it up a couple of times, but forgot it just as quickly: the mental slot in which he fits is taken up with the label "the Nose Hair Man", and that label will not be displaced. But I can hardly call him that to others.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on January 20, 2016, 10:03:33 AM
My memory for names is awful. For some reason, I can remember nicknames I have given people in my head, but not their real names.

There is this guy I see around the office - he works in a different specialty, so I hardly have any dealings with him, except in the coffee room. In my mind, I call him "the Nose Hair Man" because he has very prominent nose hairs that appear to be growing into his moustache. Every once in a while I have reason to chat with him, but I can never remember his actual name - I even looked it up a couple of times, but forgot it just as quickly: the mental slot in which he fits is taken up with the label "the Nose Hair Man", and that label will not be displaced. But I can hardly call him that to others.  :(

Why not?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2016, 10:17:07 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 20, 2016, 10:03:33 AM

Why not?

You really need to ask?  :P

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

You can be his friends & tell him to cut the hair too?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2016, 10:34:07 AM
You can be his friends & tell him to cut the hair too?

He's a casual acquaintance. I wouldn't be comfortable giving him personal grooming tips. Much less calling him an insulting nickname that I unfortunately have stuck in my head.  :D