And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 01:42:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 01:27:20 PM
Presumably, that's steam from the cooling towers, so it is in fact pretty 'green'.  ;)
Yes, of course. But it looks cool. ;)

Anyway, that's a 3 GW lignite power plant, so I am sure it creates an ungodly amount of greenhouse gases and toxins.

EDIT: And there is the massive lignite open pit mining:
https://goo.gl/maps/1QLq21xBP8B2

Heh, fair enough. Lignite isn't the cleanest by any means.  ;) I was just chuckling because the scare pic was actually showing a process that is pretty innocuous.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 01:18:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2016, 01:10:28 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 12:36:58 PM
Germany - the land of green energy  :P

Nice escarpment or is that slag heaps?

Based on other photos of the same powerplant I would say it's a forest. I found some photos of the plant that show how perspective is relevant. One is from Vattenfall, who operates it. One is from opponents of the plant. Guess which.  :P

Thanks for that.

Nice both are equally misleading or telling only half the story.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
Coal, such archaism.

IIRC that sort of coal isn't, lignite is making an unfortunate comeback, it's deep coal that's suffered in the industrialised West.

Grey Fox

I am still amazed at how people are using anything but Hydro plants to make electricity. I feel like Tyr.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2016, 02:10:42 PM
I am still amazed at how people are using anything but Hydro plants to make electricity. I feel like Tyr.

I believe most dammable rivers have already been dammed.

Syt

My energy supplier said in a magazine that their biomass plants are clean, because they're powered by wood pellets, a renewable energy source that only emits as much CO2 as it previously absorbed, and is therefore CO2 neutral. Anyone know if the claim is true?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2016, 02:20:07 PM
My energy supplier said in a magazine that their biomass plants are clean, because they're powered by wood pellets, a renewable energy source that only emits as much CO2 as it previously absorbed, and is therefore CO2 neutral. Anyone know if the claim is true?

Wouldn't that be true of any fossil fuel as well?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2016, 02:16:30 PM

I believe most dammable rivers have already been dammed.

Yes it's a rather problematic form of energy production and I'm guessing it only contributes a couple of percent of worlwide energy supply; coal, gas and oil easily each do a magnitude more.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2016, 02:21:37 PM

Not that I believe the claim, but I guess the argument is the wood pellets are from trees that have been removing CO2 from the atmosphere in recent decades, whereas fossil fuels are fossil stores of carbons from millions of years that haven't formed part 'our' carbon cycle.

Zanza

Germany is smaller than Newfoundland and Labrador and has 2.5 times as many people as Canada. We just don't have enough suitable rivers to produce sufficient hydro power.

Zanza

Sounds reasonable. I doubt that plants could get much carbon from earth, so virtually all of it would come from the atmosphere.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 02:31:56 PM
Sounds reasonable. I doubt that plants could get much carbon from earth, so virtually all of it would come from the atmosphere.

Though there has been recent research that suggests burning in processed trees can't be assumed to be carbon neutral as is the claim.

Zanza

Why? Where would the additional carbon come from?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2016, 02:25:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2016, 02:21:37 PM

Not that I believe the claim, but I guess the argument is the wood pellets are from trees that have been removing CO2 from the atmosphere in recent decades, whereas fossil fuels are fossil stores of carbons from millions of years that haven't formed part 'our' carbon cycle.

The problem I have with people who want to hand-wave these concerns away with the "carbon cycle makes everything neutral" canard is that it neglects the overall size of the cycle.  Emissions from burning wood are not instantaneously captured by a growing tree somewhere.  There is a lag wherein the carbon is suspended in the atmosphere.  The more carbon in the cycle, the more is concentrated in the atmosphere at any given time.  That it is "accounted for" in the cycle is irrelevant.