News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 02:38:46 PM
Why? Where would the additional carbon come from?

See my post.  The people making claims about biomass being carbon-neutral are using an oversimplified and inaccurate model of the carbon cycle.

mongers

To start with the actual processing of the trees; felling, transport, processing is more energy intensive than say the extraction of the lignite in the above photos. Also much of tree process relies on relatively inefficient oil burning ICE, whereas your opencast coal plant is using more efficient machines.

The actual research I was mentioning, I haven't found again the link, I shall google away and see if I can find it. 

In both cases we're ignoring the impact on the environment of each process.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 18, 2016, 02:49:02 PM

See my post.  The people making claims about biomass being carbon-neutral are using an oversimplified and inaccurate model of the carbon cycle.

Yes you're onto what I was trying to remember.  :blush:

And it's quite significant, not a rounding error problem in the calculations.

mongers

I should point out I was wrong in one of my above posts, whilst it's correct to say oil, gas and coal are much larger than hydro, it does much better than I thought:

World Consumption by Fuel:

MtOe

2013 - 2014

4185 - 4211  Oil

3020 - 3065  Gas

3826 - 3882  Coal

563 - 574  Nuclear

855 - 879  Hydro

279 - 317  Renewables

edit:
found the 2014 figures too.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2016, 02:16:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2016, 02:10:42 PM
I am still amazed at how people are using anything but Hydro plants to make electricity. I feel like Tyr.

What about tidal power plants?
I believe most dammable rivers have already been dammed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Oh, God I have Job interview tomorrow.  I'm so nervous.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2016, 03:01:35 PM

Why would anyone...? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Remember to wear glasses, a nice polo neck, jeans and have close cropped hair, that way you should pass for a Job.

Zanza

Jaron

What kind of job is it?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Might be easier to do something where you're not dealing with customers all day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

So tell us about this bank.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 02:29:46 PM

Germany is smaller than Newfoundland and Labrador and has 2.5 times as many people as Canada. We just don't have enough suitable rivers to produce sufficient hydro power.

Not to mention the Lancaster nuisance.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2016, 02:54:36 AM
So tell us about this bank.

It's a big Bank with many branches.  Hell, it put towns like Belton, Drexel, Osceola, and Raymore on the map!