News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

So does Sweden build a dinosaur submarine train or what? That seems to be a cool project. :)

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 12:31:40 PM
So does Sweden build a dinosaur submarine train or what? That seems to be a cool project. :)

It's an American show - a Jim Henson production in fact - http://pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain/

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2016, 12:27:14 PM
:lol: I know exactly what show that is from as well...

:yes:  As soon as they talked about the Pteranadon family and tickets, it had to be Dinosaur Train.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Germany - the land of green energy  :P

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 12:36:58 PM

Nice escarpment or is that slag heaps?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Nothing like reading the bbc HYS comments to restore one's :rolleyes: in humanity. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2016, 01:10:28 PM

Nice escarpment or is that slag heaps?

Based on other photos of the same powerplant I would say it's a forest. I found some photos of the plant that show how perspective is relevant. One is from Vattenfall, who operates it. One is from opponents of the plant. Guess which.  :P

The Brain

Good thing you guys are getting rid of nuclear. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

:hmm: What's the message for the second pic?  That radioactive emissions make geese dumb enough to congregate near a wind turbine?

Malthus

Presumably, that's steam from the cooling towers, so it is in fact pretty 'green'.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 01:27:20 PM

Presumably, that's steam from the cooling towers, so it is in fact pretty 'green'.  ;)

When I was doing my masters degree, one of the teachers that talked about air polution showed us a similar picture, with huge cooling towers belching steam to the same reaction that you've said. Then he told us that in these cases we should always look for the much smaller chimneys that are almost always eclipsed in these pictures, as those were the ones that would make the really polluting emissions.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
At least we managed to sell some of the plants to the Swedes before deciding to shut them down. :)

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on January 18, 2016, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
At least we managed to sell the plants to the Swedes before deciding to shut them down. :)

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2016, 01:27:20 PM
Yes, of course. But it looks cool. ;)

Anyway, that's a 3 GW lignite power plant, so I am sure it creates an ungodly amount of greenhouse gases and toxins.

EDIT: And there is the massive lignite open pit mining:
https://goo.gl/maps/1QLq21xBP8B2