News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Interview in one hour twenty minutes.  I'm terrified.  May kill someone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 01:44:15 PM
Don't do that, that's considered a red flag by most hiring managers.

Jaron

Just remember to sit up straight, maintain eye contact, and tell the interviewer what they want to hear.

Don't talk about your personal problems, struggles (even if you've overcome them), or any concerns you have about not being able to do the job.

Some key things that might help (depending on the company):

1) Express interest in long term employment - companies hate people who flake on them.
2) Know something about the bank - a bit of its history, its mission , core values, etc
3) Try to figure out what they're looking for - either through conversation or looking at their ad and emphasize those qualities.

If you follow this path (or one like it) you will nail the interview and at least get serious consideration for hire.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DGuller

Quote from: Jaron on January 19, 2016, 01:48:00 PM
Just remember to sit up straight, maintain eye contact, and tell the interviewer what they want to hear.

Don't talk about your personal problems, struggles (even if you've overcome them), or any concerns you have about not being able to do the job.

Some key things that might help (depending on the company):

1) Express interest in long term employment - companies hate people who flake on them.
2) Know something about the bank - a bit of its history, its mission , core values, etc
3) Try to figure out what they're looking for - either through conversation or looking at their ad and emphasize those qualities.

If you follow this path (or one like it) you will nail the interview and at least get serious consideration for hire.
:unsure: That's a good advice.

mongers

Good luck with that Raz. :cheers:

One of the very best things you could do is just relax, you'll come over better etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2016, 01:55:36 PM

Good luck with that Raz. :cheers:

One of the very best things you could do is just relax, you'll come over better etc.
Telling someone to relax is about as useful as telling someone to calm down.  You can't will it. 

What you can do is remember that after the first minute or two, which may seem to go on forever, you'll get in the groove and get on with it.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2016, 01:47:37 PM
Don't do that, that's considered a red flag by most hiring managers.

Then start with the hiring manager.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

The closest I've ever gotten to the lending business was when I threatened someone with a monkey wrench.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 02:08:49 PM
The closest I've ever gotten to the lending business was when I threatened someone with a monkey wrench.

Probably a good idea not to mention that little anecdote.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2016, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2016, 02:08:49 PM

Probably a good idea not to mention that little anecdote.  :hmm:

On the other hand, maybe they have a position in collections.

garbon

Whatsapp has dropped its cheap yearly fee.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

So the whole gold panning thing has panned out.  :P

Not really, but yesterday afternoon my wife spent an hour and a half panning in the Truckee at Mayberry Park while I read Piketty. I mention it because the juxtaposition is interesting. Sadly, she got much more from her time, as I'm in a specifically unproductive part of the book, while she found a mini-pebble and a number of glitter-sized flakes of gold.

Apparently, gold is junk floating in every part of the American West. One guy bought some bags of sand from Home Depot and panned out some gold. It's everywhere.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2016, 08:12:17 PM
So the whole gold panning thing has panned out.  :P

Not really, but yesterday afternoon my wife spent an hour and a half panning in the Truckee at Mayberry Park while I read Piketty. I mention it because the juxtaposition is interesting. Sadly, she got much more from her time, as I'm in a specifically unproductive part of the book, while she found a mini-pebble and a number of glitter-sized flakes of gold.

Apparently, gold is junk floating in every part of the American West. One guy bought some bags of sand from Home Depot and panned out some gold. It's everywhere.

:lol:

Most excellent expedition your excellency.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Thus far from the testimonials of Languishites who have read Piketty it seems like time would be better spent reading and analysing the lyrics of Nicki Minaj. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.