News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2015, 07:52:29 PM
Thank God I stopped getting calls for Branson packages.
What a country...  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Seedy's Jamacians try to threaten me. I tell them I'll blast 'em to hell. They don't like that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Suspenders?  :rolleyes: Another Gordon Gekko wannabe.

Liep

$300.000.000 for this:

I think maybe that's a bit overpriced.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I heard an interesting story yesterday.
I was speaking to a Swedish guy. He is 100% Swedish and prior to finishing university lived there all his life.....except for his first year,  due to his dad's job he was born in the US.
He wanted to go to the US for some reason (think he had a job offer there, can't remember) so he went to the American embassy in Stockholm to sort out a visa. The lady at the embassy looked at his papers and said "OH! You were born in America! You could save a lot of trouble and just get a passport!"
He thought fair enough, can't hurt to have another passport, he had always joked about his being American on account of his birth so even his trip aside it would be cool to have an American passport.
He went off to the US and had a nice time there for a few years then moved home. A few months later, a letter appears at his house..."YOU ARE AMERICAN! YOU MUST PAY TAXES!".
For several years now he has had to put up with this crap. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Liep

That went from being somewhat detailed to not being at all clear about what the crap actually is.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2015, 01:40:29 PM
That went from being somewhat detailed to not being at all clear about what the crap actually is.
Americans make their people pay taxes even when they're abroad,.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2015, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2015, 01:40:29 PM
Americans make their people pay taxes even when they're abroad,.

Pay taxes on what?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on February 07, 2015, 03:05:34 PM
Pay taxes on what?
Their income abroad. It's a weird quirk that was, I believe, instituted in the Civil War to tax draft-dodging 1%ers who fled to Europe. They've never got rid of it despite, again I think, every proposed tax reform plan since trying to abolish it.

From what I know it makes America one of only three countries in the world that tax their citizens abroad even when they're not tax resident - the other two being the PRC and Eritrea, both with less success than the US :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Right, so that is a bit weird. I can't imagine them being particularly successful in that though.

Ideologue

It's not even totally true.  The IRC is a bit more complex on that count that "Americans abroad must pay income tax."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011