News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Really we should make everyone pay a tax to the US.  Like a half percent sales tax.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I'd say Europe owes us like a trillion bucks for our defense spending, not to mention for liberating them.  Let's see how Germany likes it when their debts go into collection.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

My understanding is the non-resident tax doesn't impact many people, because the US has low rates and you get a credit for the tax paid overseas.  Rather it's the paperwork requirement that can be unpleasant.

Admiral Yi

Just learned from an Economist article on Krautischer-Americans that 10,000 were interned during dubya dubya 2.

Caliga

I think they were all recent immigrants from Germany, yes?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Didn't specify.  Logical assumption.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

The local German club here was founded in 1878 and stayed active through WWII.  But I saw a club portrait from 1943 the other day and noticed they weren't wearing German costumes for that year's photo, unlike in years before and after. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2015, 08:49:09 PM
Just learned from an Economist article on Krautischer-Americans that 10,000 were interned during dubya dubya 2.

It was a bit more than this, if I remember.  I think most were German nationals.  Still, compared to the 100,000+ Japanese Americans (many who were nisei and not Japanese nationals) it was rather small beans.  I wonder how many Eye-tays were interned?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

My brother's best friend from childhood just won an award in the Spanish cinema awards last night.  :)

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2015, 05:52:09 PM
My understanding is the non-resident tax doesn't impact many people, because the US has low rates and you get a credit for the tax paid overseas.  Rather it's the paperwork requirement that can be unpleasant.
I remember in Japan it was a PITA for American friends to have to fill in all sorts of paperwork every year, not sure if they ever paid anything or claimed an exemption or what though.
Here for sure every American bitches about it and they do pay.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

I am sure Tim could comment on it.

That or the IRS will send him to prison whenever he comes back.  :P

Admiral Yi

Actually I did this when I worked in Korea.  You just fill out a 1040, calculate US tax you would owe, tell how much local tax you paid, and if the local tax is more than the US tax would be, you pay the US nothing.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

You should incorporate yourself.  That way, you don't have to worry about any taxes overseas whatsoever.