And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 05, 2015, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2015, 04:48:18 PM
This is true - the hiking isn't very hard, but it is done with a 50lb backpack.

There was discussion of this in this thread back in early january, but you were insisting the backpack would be light. 50 pounds is not light!

There definitely needs to be a combination of strength and cardio. A 50 pound backpack is going to make any hiking tough. Not discounting the need for strength, especially core, but a dude I know when with a group on a hike in Nepal (with 50-60 pound backpacks). A body builder also signed up, and ended up being helicoptered out just a couple days in. Cardio is important.

I"m quite positive I never said 50lb was light!!!  Like I said, I have done this before, so I know what I'm getting into.  It's just that was awhile ago and I need to be in better shape to do it now.

That's why I figure cardio is important (plus, running is about the only exercise I've ever even moderately enjoyed doing), but I'm open to adding other exercises into it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2015, 04:39:10 PM
Otto set out a good program a number of pages ago iirc.

Basically the theory is that the resistance training acts a multiplier to the cardio training.  Even if you don't have access to weights, even if you did squats with your own bodyweight you will still get some benefit.  If all you do is cardio then your muscles are not being worked and the conditioning benefit only lasts for as long as you are running.  When you work in resistance training you keep accruing benefits for a long time after you stop exercising.

Besides when you are hiking you are going to be carrying a lot more weight then when you are just running.  If you haven't developed the muscle strength and endurance to deal with that then the straight cardio training isn't going to help much.

God bless Otto, but I don't think his program was sound for what I was getting ready to do. A lot of the top mountaineers are getting in 50-60 miles of trail running a week (or more). They do weight training of course, but it is limited compared to running and they certainly don't look like body builders.

I came with a specific question regarding cycling as substitute cardio and whether that could substitute for some quad strength training, and Otto recommends a new training program drastically reducing running. Reducing distance running was contrary to what the guides were advising and not consistent with what others I know did. I think it would have gotten me in trouble.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2015, 05:18:17 PM
I"m quite positive I never said 50lb was light!!!  Like I said, I have done this before, so I know what I'm getting into.  It's just that was awhile ago and I need to be in better shape to do it now.

That's why I figure cardio is important (plus, running is about the only exercise I've ever even moderately enjoyed doing), but I'm open to adding other exercises into it.

Without re reading everything from 2 months ago, I was left with the impression you would have a light load. I guess I was wrong.  :)

As I mentioned, squats are standard, but Ive used step up exercises as a substitute. I just put on a rucksack with a weight inside (50 pounds may be a good idea), and just step up and down on a chair.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

After the past two shitty months, I'm as pale and flabby as the Pillsbury Dough Boy.  :lol:

It has been too damn cold to do much outdoors - normally, I'd be cross-country skiing, but with the windchill often around -25, that's more chore than recreation.

At least I've been doing some weights at the gym.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on March 05, 2015, 05:32:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2015, 04:39:10 PM
Otto set out a good program a number of pages ago iirc.

Basically the theory is that the resistance training acts a multiplier to the cardio training.  Even if you don't have access to weights, even if you did squats with your own bodyweight you will still get some benefit.  If all you do is cardio then your muscles are not being worked and the conditioning benefit only lasts for as long as you are running.  When you work in resistance training you keep accruing benefits for a long time after you stop exercising.

Besides when you are hiking you are going to be carrying a lot more weight then when you are just running.  If you haven't developed the muscle strength and endurance to deal with that then the straight cardio training isn't going to help much.

God bless Otto, but I don't think his program was sound for what I was getting ready to do. A lot of the top mountaineers are getting in 50-60 miles of trail running a week (or more). They do weight training of course, but it is limited compared to running and they certainly don't look like body builders.

I came with a specific question regarding cycling as substitute cardio and whether that could substitute for some quad strength training, and Otto recommends a new training program drastically reducing running. Reducing distance running was contrary to what the guides were advising and not consistent with what others I know did. I think it would have gotten me in trouble.

Ok, but I still think Otto is correct.  :P

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2015, 07:30:36 AM
Had a physical yesterday morning.

Vitals:

blood pressure 110/64
pulse 77
SpO2 97%

I appear to be shrinking though as she measured my height and insisted it was 5' 11". :huh:
glucose 89
cholesterol 126

I guess those numbers are ok.  At one point when I was a kid my dad got a cholesterol score back of over 400.  He was forced to permanently give up liverwurst  :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2015, 06:34:26 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2015, 07:30:36 AM
Had a physical yesterday morning.

Vitals:

blood pressure 110/64
pulse 77
SpO2 97%

I appear to be shrinking though as she measured my height and insisted it was 5' 11". :huh:
glucose 89
cholesterol 126

I guess those numbers are ok.  At one point when I was a kid my dad got a cholesterol score back of over 400.  He was forced to permanently give up liverwurst  :cry:

To me it seems non-Brits often take a more scientific approach to health and fitness; I really have no idea what most of those numbers are, other than pulse.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2015, 06:40:04 PM
To me it seems non-Brits often take a more scientific approach to health and fitness
Or could it just be that your national healthcare system kind of sucks? :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2015, 07:36:27 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2015, 06:40:04 PM
To me it seems non-Brits often take a more scientific approach to health and fitness
Or could it just be that your national healthcare system kind of sucks? :sleep:

Wouldn't it make more sense that the people who can more readily depend on their health care system need not be as obsessive about the metrics of their health.

Yes, I worked in the word metric  :P

jimmy olsen

You should all feel ashamed of yourselves!  :mad:

watch the video here
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/health/150310/watch-95-year-old-badass-destroy-the-200m-sprint-world-record

QuoteWatch this 95-year-old badass destroy the 200m sprint world record
Charles Eugster is a retired British dentist. He's also apparently a superhero.

His name is Dr. Charles Eugster but you should probably just call him BEAST MODE.

Eugster, a 95-year-old retired British dentist, just crushed the indoor 200-meter sprint world record in his age group at the British Masters Athletics meeting in London this past weekend. He finished in 55.48 seconds, improving on the previous record, set by American Orville Rogers in March 2013, by 2.4 seconds.

Born in London in 1919, Eugster now lives in Switzerland and didn't start working out consistently until he was 85.

"I looked in the mirror one morning," he told the Telegraph in 2013, "and I didn't like what I saw."

Like a lot of people who look in the mirror and don't like what they see, Eugster started working out. Unlike most people, though, he transformed himself into one of the fittest nonagenarians on Earth.

When he's not breaking running records like a complete boss, he's a competive rower and bodybuilder, and advocates for improving physical fitness for people over the ages of 65.

Here's the video. It'll either inspire you or make you feel terrible about yourself.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Did a quick 30 miles yesterday afternoon to see a man about a dog. Slow, slowly getting into some form of fitness.

Liep

I've been very lazy for the past 2 weeks and with the weather this nice I've been feeling more guilty than usual about being lazy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2015, 07:54:14 AM
I've been very lazy for the past 2 weeks and with the weather this nice I've been feeling more guilty than usual about being lazy.

I'll have an lazy day today, as I'm a bit tired after yesterday, using a aluminium framed mainly road hybrid for quite a bit of off-road wasn't ideal.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2015, 11:18:19 AM
Hey on that point we can agree.  It's absurd that we aren't using the metric system here. <_<

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2015, 09:00:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2015, 11:18:19 AM
Hey on that point we can agree.  It's absurd that we aren't using the metric system here. <_<

I largely agree with both of you, but when I'm doing say 32 kmph on my bike, I don't 'know' how fast that is, I guess it's getting on for 20 mph, but I don't have the certainty that I'm doing 18.5 mph and so need to speed up or slow down a bit depending on my schedule and how much I have remaining in the tank.

edit:
see, 32kmph is actually 19.88 mph, so that would significantly put my pacing out, which thinking about it, was probably what happened yesterday, I went too fast on a couple of roads/routes for what I was intending to do.