Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 03:44:58 PM
I have lost 11.2 pounds on my diet so far :w00t:

Only 48 to go :weep:

Up to about 15 lost now -_-

44.2 to go.

Back to the gym finally next month. I want to get a really good workout I can knock out in a short time and will make me super manly and ripped, er, I mean achieve healthy fitness goals. No narcissism here, nope. Any advice or does anybody recommend I hire a personal trainer just for a consultation? It would be kind of expensive and I would have to wait a bit to be in a position to do it, so I wouldn't want to do it unless it was worthwhile.

On the other hand Mrs. Valmy has discovered still eating crap but less of it is not a good weightloss strategy, so she has asked me to help her out. I rock at losing weight having done it so many damn times so I think I am up to the challenge. Keeping it off, well that is something else  :blush:

Though I think I have a good plan for this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

That's a lot. What was your starting weight?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 30, 2015, 09:38:18 AM

231 lbs (105 Kg). That was after five years of doing little else but bust my ass getting my engineering degree while raising a family and working full time. All while being sleep deprived and eating fast food crap. Just trying to get back to what I was before I went back to school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2015, 09:35:27 AM
I want to get a really good workout I can knock out in a short time and will make me super manly and ripped, er, I mean achieve healthy fitness goals. No narcissism here, nope. Any advice or does anybody recommend I hire a personal trainer just for a consultation? It would be kind of expensive and I would have to wait a bit to be in a position to do it, so I wouldn't want to do it unless it was worthwhile.

Well speaking for myself I was pretty much in your shoes even down to being a 105 kg landwhale for basically the same reasons as yourself. What I did 3 years ago was switch my diet to Paleo-ish first principles (meat and fish with sauce and salad ad libidum is not exactly a hardship diet) and I started doing Crossfit 3 times a week. A year and a half ago I began the Starting Strength weightlifting program and ran that for about 6 months with great results. Can't recommend it enough.

For about a year now I've been running Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program which is great once you've maxed out those newbie gains on Starting Strength. Can confirm that the above strategy has yielded bountiful swoleness and gainz. I'm 6 foot 194 pounds now and fit into my pre-landwhale clothes except they're considerably tighter across the chest now because I was a scrawny twink-looking fella before discovering iron. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Caliga

I've lost a bit of weight lately.  According to the scale it's no more than 15 pounds tops, but my clothes are way looser. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2015, 09:40:11 AM

231 lbs (105 Kg). That was after five years of doing little else but bust my ass getting my engineering degree while raising a family and working full time. All while being sleep deprived and eating fast food crap. Just trying to get back to what I was before I went back to school.

I'm on 112 Kg  :lol:

Gained 20 kilos in about 8 years. Nothing sudden, just slowly as my life has become more and more sedentary.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2015, 12:02:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2015, 09:40:11 AM

I'm 112  :lol:

Gained 20 kilos in about 8 years. Nothing sudden, just slowly as my life has become more and more sedentary.

It sneaks up on you as your metabolism rate diminishes. 

Ideologue

Not if you cultivate a solid body image disorder, it doesn't.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Ended up doing about 300 miles on the road hybrid and a bit over 100 on the shopping bike, hope to do a little bit better next month, now the weather has turned.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I was planning to go jogging today but have a mysterious pain on the bottom of my foot.
My body's way of stopping me from doing anything?

Also really thinking of getting a road bike. I want to try and get around lake geneva in a day.

I'm determined. This year I will finally get below 80kg again.
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Legbiter on March 30, 2015, 10:45:09 AM
Well speaking for myself I was pretty much in your shoes even down to being a 105 kg landwhale for basically the same reasons as yourself. What I did 3 years ago was switch my diet to Paleo-ish first principles (meat and fish with sauce and salad ad libidum is not exactly a hardship diet) and I started doing Crossfit 3 times a week. A year and a half ago I began the Starting Strength weightlifting program and ran that for about 6 months with great results. Can't recommend it enough.

I'll second Starting Strength.  I'm trying to get back on the program after my arm surgery followed by a bunch of other crap knocked me off it.  I finally found a gym nearby that actually has bumper plates and a platform, which should really help my adherence to the program.

Legbiter

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 08, 2015, 05:32:03 PMI'll second Starting Strength.  I'm trying to get back on the program after my arm surgery followed by a bunch of other crap knocked me off it.  I finally found a gym nearby that actually has bumper plates and a platform, which should really help my adherence to the program.

Keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

Oh and today was back squat day.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Legbiter on April 08, 2015, 08:19:24 PM
Keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

I went last night for what will probably be my last trip to 24 Hour Fitness.  Just did bench and squat; didn't bother to record it in my notebook.  Felt good, though I broke form on my first empty bar squat set, panicked, and tweaked my left knee.  It mostly worked itself out after some additional empty bar and unweighted reps.

Anyway, here is my starting point.  I have been having some issues with my fasting glucose and A1c lately.  Kinda came up suddenly, as a year ago I was fine.  I think the spike coming right after my arm surgery and resulting stop of my lifting is not a coincidence.  So back on the wagon I go.  My plan is to get back on the Starting Strength routine and further clean up my diet.

My diet had already improving since my wife and I decided to stop eating out so much for financial reasons (we'd rather spend the money on home improvements).  My next steps have been to further control portions and to call a 30-day moratorium on all beer and wine consumption; liquor, straight or with non-caloric mixers, is still allowed in moderation.  The moratorium has been in effect since last Sunday, and besides an upcoming crawfish boil should not be a problem to keep to.

For activity, in addition to SS I am going to walk at least a mile in off days.  Besides just more activity, I am hoping this will help my leg recovery since the squats are hard on my weak quads.  Plus, the dog is also an out-of-shape fatass and can come with. :P  I'm also doing three sets of body weight squats with a Rogue War Bar daily, to help some form and flexibility issues.

As of last Sunday I weighted 310.6.  I am already down to 307.4 as of this morning following the changes above, with the exception of getting back into the full SS routine.  I'm finding myself moderately hungry, but not unbearably so.

Caliga

I pretty much only use weight machines at the gym.  I typically do 3 sets of 15 reps on the fly @ 115, 3 sets of 15 reps on the triceps press also @ 115, and 2-3 sets of 15 on the pulldown @ 120 every time.  I have trouble with that one that isolates the deltoids because I tore my left deltoid a few years ago and it's never completely recovered.  I can't do more than like 35-40 pounds per set on that one. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points