News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I think I've broken myself somehow.

My standard run is 6 miles. If I go a couple days without running, I get this really gross feeling in my gut to the extent my day is more or less ruined until I go running.

So on Monday, I just ran 1 mile (I only got a few hours sleep the night before, so I cut it way short). On Tuesday, I did a run of 3 miles for similar reasons. On Wednesday, I got that really gross feeling--ran 6 miles and feel much better. I'm a bit disconcerted that running 3 miles isn't enough anymore.

I know running can be addictive, but I haven't heard of gut discomfort being the withdrawal manifestation. Maybe I need to run for some digestive reason? Dunno.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

There are worse addictions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

So I have done 5 20 mile rides on the weekend of 20 miles+ so far.  That is the real riding, I go to work and back 2 miles each day but that is nothing.

Today I did the 20 miles plus the 2.5 mile climb (up to 8100 feet from about 7600 feet, so not too bad) and down. It was about 45 degrees temp and a 20-30 mph wind...my god I was drained.  I need about 300 more miles before that ride seems reasonable.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2015, 09:38:50 PM
So I have done 5 20 mile rides on the weekend of 20 miles+ so far.  That is the real riding, I go to work and back 2 miles each day but that is nothing.

Today I did the 20 miles plus the 2.5 mile climb (up to 8100 feet from about 7600 feet, so not too bad) and down. It was about 45 degrees temp and a 20-30 mph wind...my god I was drained.  I need about 300 more miles before that ride seems reasonable.

You have no idea how lucky you are to have that kind of elevation around. I have to look for overpasses to practice climbing :bleeding:

PDH

Quote from: Maladict on April 13, 2015, 02:25:25 AM

You have no idea how lucky you are to have that kind of elevation around. I have to look for overpasses to practice climbing :bleeding:

Hell, that is a baby hill.  I posted the profile of the mountains 30 miles to the west of here.  Someday...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2015, 11:55:14 AM
I think I've broken myself somehow.

My standard run is 6 miles. If I go a couple days without running, I get this really gross feeling in my gut to the extent my day is more or less ruined until I go running.

So on Monday, I just ran 1 mile (I only got a few hours sleep the night before, so I cut it way short). On Tuesday, I did a run of 3 miles for similar reasons. On Wednesday, I got that really gross feeling--ran 6 miles and feel much better. I'm a bit disconcerted that running 3 miles isn't enough anymore.

I know running can be addictive, but I haven't heard of gut discomfort being the withdrawal manifestation. Maybe I need to run for some digestive reason? Dunno.

I just feel shame.  However, shame can manifest as nausea.  I experience it as crushing despair and feelings of being trapped in my disgusting, mediocre human shell that is probably as good as it will ever get before it begins the slow return to dust, if it has not already.

I feel okay right now, since I just ran 11.4mi.  However, it took about 1:57, 1:58, which if I am not mistaken is fucking pathetic.  Yes/no?  I've noticed that since I rededicated myself to semi-serious running (i.e., weight loss/muscle toning) I've been somewhat slower than I used to be, running ten minute miles when I should be running eight or less. :unsure:

Then again, I suppose I've never really cared that much about my time and I have no idea why I'd start now.  Also, the last three miles were murder and surely very slow--it is, afaik, the furthest I've ever run without stopping.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2015, 08:35:58 PM
I feel okay right now, since I just ran 11.4mi.  However, it took about 1:57, 1:58, which if I am not mistaken is fucking pathetic.  Yes/no? 

Enough with the humble bragging.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

It's not a good time.  One should be able to do a half-marathon (13.1mi) in under 2:00.  That said, I'm more annoyed that it didn't magically get rid of all of my subcutaneous fat. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
It's not a good time.  One should be able to do a half-marathon (13.1mi) in under 2:00.  That said, I'm more annoyed that it didn't magically get rid of all of my subcutaneous fat. -_-

Using a running equivalent calculator, a run of that distance in 11:57:30 is equivalent to a half marathon in 2:16, or a marathon in 4:44. That isn't great, but it is definitely respectable.

I think the idea that you need to be running sub 8 minute miles is crazy, especially if you are running 10+ miles at a go. You also don't need to be killing yourself all the time. There is a guy I know who is really serious about running: 1:30 minute half marathons and has done the Boston Marathon, and he regularly runs slower than an 8 minute mile pace (except of course during races). Every run shouldn't be pushing yourself to the max. That will just get you burned out or injured.

However, I think you are right to focus on pace as well as distance.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

I'm focusing on BMI. :P
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2015, 11:05:11 PM
I'm focusing on BMI. :P

That is unfortunate. I roughly know your BMI, and I now know your running pace over distance, and I don't think the one demanding improvement is your BMI.  :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

I am on week 3 of no Fast Food. My shits seem to have gotten weirder. And stickier.

My MRI and CT scans came back on my back and leg, and the doctor said most people with the amount of damage I have would be applying for disability. Yay me. :glare:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I've signed up for rugby and ju jitsu.
Time will tell if I actually go.

Running wise I still haven't learned how to breathe. I really don't get why it is do much easier at night
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Have you guys ever done a medical examination to find out where your lactate/aerobic threshold is? I wonder if I should do that to be able to better adjust my training to that.