News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Downloaded a pedometer app three weeks ago. I seem to average 4-5 miles of walking a day during the work week.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

Lusti asked for my review of Zombies, Run! elsewhere, so here it is.

Zombies, Run! is a deeply immersive story-telling running app. It works like a post-apocalyptic radio drama where you, Runner 5, are one of the characters. It intersperses a couple of minutes of narrative with a random tune from your selected playlist - I believe it's compatible with Spotify and the like too. Each mission lasts for 30-40 minutes in total. If a mission finishes but you want to run more, you can automatically segue into the next mission or select radio mode, which features a post-apocalyptic broadcast. As you go, you collect items that can be used between missions to build up your base.

There's also the option for zombie chases. At random points in your run, you will hear an electronic voice say: "Warning; zombies 100 metres". At this point you have to speed up about 20% faster than your steady speed, and you can hear the undead groaning in stereo behind you, so close you can almost smell their rotting stink. The electronic voice tells you they're getting closer and closer and... either you evade them if you run fast enough or you drop an item to distract them. Don't use this mode if you have to cross any busy roads!

It also does all the usual running app stuff too - measuring distance and speed with GPS, or using the accelerometer when you're on the treadmill, and uploading stats and routes from all your runs. While the technical side and running support is impressive, it is the script-writing that is uniquely gripping and engaging in a way an audio book could never be, and the acting and sound talent is second to none, all professional hires, not friends of the developers! I've actually been running along laughing and crying out loud as the storyline took a shocking turn.

Season 4  launches on Thursday this week on Android and Apple, and there are bound to be special offers. I've been using its various iterations for four years now. If you need something snapping at your heels to make you go for a run, I can't recommend Zombies, Run! highly enough.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Brazen on May 13, 2015, 07:59:42 AM

Zombies, Run! is a deeply immersive story-telling running app. It works like a post-apocalyptic radio drama where you, Runner 5, are one of the characters. It intersperses a couple of minutes of narrative with a random tune from your selected playlist - I believe it's compatible with Spotify and the like too. Each mission lasts for 30-40 minutes in total. If a mission finishes but you want to run more, you can automatically segue into the next mission or select radio mode, which features a post-apocalyptic broadcast. As you go, you collect items that can be used between missions to build up your base.

There's also the option for zombie chases. At random points in your run, you will hear an electronic voice say: "Warning; zombies 100 metres". At this point you have to speed up about 20% faster than your steady speed, and you can hear the undead groaning in stereo behind you, so close you can almost smell their rotting stink. The electronic voice tells you they're getting closer and closer and... either you evade them if you run fast enough or you drop an item to distract them. Don't use this mode if you have to cross any busy roads!

It also does all the usual running app stuff too - measuring distance and speed with GPS, or using the accelerometer when you're on the treadmill, and uploading stats and routes from all your runs. While the technical side and running support is impressive, it is the script-writing that is uniquely gripping and engaging in a way an audio book could never be, and the acting and sound talent is second to none, all professional hires, not friends of the developers! I've actually been running along laughing and crying out loud as the storyline took a shocking turn.

Season 4  launches on Thursday this week on Android and Apple, and there are bound to be special offers. I've been using its various iterations for four years now. If you need something snapping at your heels to make you go for a run, I can't recommend Zombies, Run! highly enough.

Muchas gracias B.

So yesterday evening after work, I could not wait for a proper review and with absolutly no reserach time on the app, I requested authorization from The Boss for the $3.99 expenditure. I downloaded Zombies Run! 3. :yeah:

Turn the thing on, no music on my phone (I need some), and off I go. I start to walk listening to my first mission (awesome stuff), after a couple minutes warm up I am told I better start running, and I do. Now when that first zombie chase comes on, the neighbor mowing the lawn must have thought I was crazy, because I ran for my life! How awesome is this thing.  :) I ran somewhere over 2 miles, gathered a bunch of items, and got totally hooked on this thing. I was planning on at least a 3 miler, but needed to get home to poop  :Embarrass::lol:.

BTW, stopping to talk to neighbors in the middle of another zombie chase without pausing it was not smart. I dropped 7 of the items I had gathered when I was caught :(

I love this thing, today should be better now that I have a slight idea of how it works, I set it to miles now, and I am desperate to find more items and earn another little wrench or whatever it is to build up my base. :)

What do I build/upgrade? :unsure: Zombielink, is there like a community I can be part of? I liked their facebook page last night too.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on May 13, 2015, 07:59:42 AM

That is very cool.  I will try that. 

Brazen

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 13, 2015, 10:38:28 AM
What do I build/upgrade? :unsure: Zombielink, is there like a community I can be part of? I liked their facebook page last night too.
I very seldom do anything with my base, TBH, it doesn't affect the running aspect of the game. But you can lose items if you're not properly defended. I usually do a balance of different building types, but I haven't really bothered over the last season.

Here's the game home page with a link to Zombielink but it's currently down as they new release is dropping today.
https://www.zombiesrungame.com/zombielink/

There's no community as such other than comments on the blog, but maybe there should be. I could volunteer to run it for them!

lustindarkness

Community/sharing routes/comparing bases are all things that could motivate people to walk/run more. Something simple, no need for comments, they can comment on the FB page or the blog, no need for more moderating.

BTW, my legs hurt, and its your fault. :lol:

Is 4 available yet? I may wait a few days to update from 3, wait for any bugs to be worked out.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Brazen

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 14, 2015, 09:04:24 AM
Community/sharing routes/comparing bases are all things that could motivate people to walk/run more. Something simple, no need for comments, they can comment on the FB page or the blog, no need for more moderating.

BTW, my legs hurt, and its your fault. :lol:

Is 4 available yet? I may wait a few days to update from 3, wait for any bugs to be worked out.
It is today! There are some problems with ZombieLink at the moment but otherwise it's looking pretty slick.

Anyone in two minds about trying it, you get the first few episodes of Season 1 for free now when you download the new app.

http://blog.zombiesrungame.com/

lustindarkness

I showed up on Google Play today, I should have waited another day, but could not help myself.  :nelson: :blush:

I followed the instructions: updated old app, sync to ZombieLink with old app, download new app (looks awesome!), log in new app (did I mention it looks awesome), sync with ZL in new app  :( won't let me Sync, I guess new app does not work with old ZL, so now I wait.  :glare: I hope its up my by tomorrow, I don't think I'll have time for a run this evening anyway.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

I'm not down to 130 yet, so I guess I'm still a fucking freak in the eyes of Languish' greatest fat-shamer, Sheilbh O'Caislean. :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

When you get down to 130, we'll celebrate by finding a locker to stuff you in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I was kidding, my proper weight would be 165 to 175 depending on body fat composition.  But also I think you overestimate Languish' collective cardiovascular health. :P

I just still want S to tell me if that was a typo, or if the forum's ire was directed at a far lesser offender than I this whole time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:34:21 PM
But also I think you overestimate Languish' collective cardiovascular health. :P

And you forget that we have cars. You can't run forever. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Soon I'll be in the Big City, where cars are useless.

Reminds me, I'll probably be getting a lot more foot mileage, but not running, since I wrecked my car yesterday and damaged it sufficiently to render it inadvisable to drive.  Yay fitness.  Might be about time to sell the Camry for its scrap value. <_<
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

In the morning I did a 10 mile run and then in the afternoon I spent 2 hours in a climbing gym. I'm planning on a half marathon (not an actual race, just a run) tomorrow and a hike on Monday with 4000 ft of elevation gain.

I'm also supposed to help a friend move tomorrow.

I'm going to wimp out at least a portion of this*, but hooray for good intentions. :)

It probably won't be the part about helping a friend move. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2015, 03:58:47 PM
In the morning I did a 10 mile run and then in the afternoon I spent 2 hours in a climbing gym. I'm planning on a half marathon (not an actual race, just a run) tomorrow and a hike on Monday with 4000 ft of elevation gain.

I'm also supposed to help a friend move tomorrow.

I'm going to wimp out at least a portion of this*, but hooray for good intentions. :)

It probably won't be the part about helping a friend move. :(

The only thing I did was help a friend move. :)

Though I did go for a run, it wasn't 13 miles.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014