So what do you make of that woman in New York video

Started by Josquius, October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

I used to know a girl who was ~19-20 and gorgeous--she worked at the same restaurant as me, but also at a nightclub and did work at events like boxing matches and nascar. One day we went to the mall together after school had gotten out, and she got so many comments. One guy driving by actually yelled, "I want to fuck you!"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Brazen

She should move to London where no strangers will talk to her ever.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2014, 08:31:58 PM
I have to say I find it bizarre and when I was in NYC everybody looked to be rushing by not harrasing each other.  But I am not a woman in NYC so how would I know it is not right?

While the former might be true, that isn't true of catcalling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on October 31, 2014, 08:44:38 AM

Ditto Toronto.  ;)

I don't think I've ever heard someone cat-calling a woman here ... indeed, any form of communication between strangers, unless absolutely necessary, is extremely unusual.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I've never looked at cat calling so much as attempts at having a conversation. Seems more akin to the crazy homeless man who can't help but shout out his crazy thoughts.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 09:19:21 AM
I've never looked at cat calling so much as attempts at having a conversation. Seems more akin to the crazy homeless man who can't help but shout out his crazy thoughts.

The stereotype I have in my mind is of one guy impressing his crew of buddies with his boldness - the construction worker or the hooded gang-banger harrasing passing women while his friends grin and maybe join in.

That said, I've not really seen it in real life much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

We used to have an ugly old guy on the subway who would go to each woman and girl on the train, ask them politely if he could invite them for a beer, and if they refused he'd move on to the next one.

I wonder what became of him. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I know they edited it out most of the white dudes(they said so in interviews) but It was quite telling that most of the cat-callers were drug dealers & drug dealers look alike.

btw, Tyr, I agree with out. Americans you are blind, this is how your dating culture starts for out of high school people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2014, 09:23:26 AM

The stereotype I have in my mind is of one guy impressing his crew of buddies with his boldness - the construction worker or the hooded gang-banger harrasing passing women while his friends grin and maybe join in.

Well it isn't just that. Most recent example was this business woman walking in a skirt. Some young guy gave some sort of "compliment" - she smiled awkwardly while walking away and then he gave another. End scene.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 09:52:43 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2014, 09:23:26 AM

Well it isn't just that. Most recent example was this business woman walking in a skirt. Some young guy gave some sort of "compliment" - she smiled awkwardly while walking away and then he gave another. End scene.

Heh, some guy complemented a random stranger on their looks in Toronto on the street or transit, I'd be frozen in shock.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2014, 09:34:56 AM
I know they edited it out most of the white dudes(they said so in interviews) but It was quite telling that most of the cat-callers were drug dealers & drug dealers look alike.

btw, Tyr, I agree with out. Americans you are blind, this is how your dating culture starts for out of high school people.

What the fuck, Grey Fox?

There is a difference between hitting on a single girl in bar by offering to buy her a drink and approaching a complete stranger in the broad daylight in the street. Anyone who does not understand that is either a pervert or a sociopath.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on October 31, 2014, 08:44:38 AM

I so love societies like this. Feelings are meant to be repressed and/or let out in an occassional outburst, not shared.