So what do you make of that woman in New York video

Started by Josquius, October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 30, 2014, 09:25:57 PM
OTOH, it must work once in a while. I mean people don't continue behavior in large numbers if that behavior always fails to achieve a positive result. Maybe the funnyordie dude should do an experiment where he catcalls at women for ten hours and see how many numbers he gets.  :P
When I was taught how to sell door to door they said that even the most socially inept guy would make 1 sale in 30 if he spoke clearly and politely and that the same was true for asking out random women. I have not teasted that theory however.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 30, 2014, 11:46:13 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 30, 2014, 09:25:57 PM
OTOH, it must work once in a while. I mean people don't continue behavior in large numbers if that behavior always fails to achieve a positive result. Maybe the funnyordie dude should do an experiment where he catcalls at women for ten hours and see how many numbers he gets.  :P
When I was taught how to sell door to door they said that even the most socially inept guy would make 1 sale in 30 if he spoke clearly and politely and that the same was true for asking out random women. I have not teasted that theory however.

It isn't true.   :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyySRgrYsU
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 30, 2014, 09:12:51 PM
It's like I'm feeling the embarrassment they should be feeling but aren't.

German has a word for that: "fremdschämen." :P

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fremdsch%C3%A4men
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

On the video it wasnt all cat calling.
Some of it was; the old guys saying smile for instance. But going up to her and trying to speak to her isnt what i would class as cat calling.

As to the guys being rapists in the making.... The silent followers sure. But ive known guys into the whole american style pickup thing and though kinda creepy i dont think they would hurt anyone.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

it's been done a few years ago in Brussel. The result wasn't nice.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2014, 01:37:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM
.I mean can anyone even remember what charity that ice bucket thing was collecting for (not that most people realised it or donated)?

ALS  :smarty:

37, Warsaw, male? :unsure:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM
First up....Is this not the way American dating culture is constructed? As always I am at pains to point out here that I am a long way from an expert and am just going from what I've learned from the media. But...isn't the way things work in America that guys are expected to hit on random girls and try and get their magical phone number?

What the fuck, Tyr?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 09:06:15 PMThe proper, polite and gentlemanly thing to do is mind your tongue, don't ogle, and wait until you are home to masturbate.  After you get her plates and find out where she lives.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Martinus

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2014, 12:09:23 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 30, 2014, 09:12:51 PM
It's like I'm feeling the embarrassment they should be feeling but aren't.

German has a word for that: "fremdschämen." :P

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fremdsch%C3%A4men

We have an expression in Spanish for that as well, "vergüenza ajena", literally "other people's shame". I have bundles of that, can't stand watching people making fools of themselves, must be the reason why I never enjoyed The Office.  :P

Martinus

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 05:59:43 AM
Germans have a word for everything.

Do they have a word for having words for everything?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.