So what do you make of that woman in New York video

Started by Josquius, October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It has been posted absolu-bloody-lutely everywhere. I'm sure you've all seen it.
A somewhat woman walks down the street behind a hidden camera and lots of guys try to speak to her, one or two of them become outright freaky.

As per usual I am skeptical of this video and the "OMG women have it so hard! Woo feminism!" conclusions everyone is drawing for it. Which has of course gotten me into trouble with some friends who seem to be taking it as a very 'with us or against us' issue.

First up....Is this not the way American dating culture is constructed? As always I am at pains to point out here that I am a long way from an expert and am just going from what I've learned from the media. But...isn't the way things work in America that guys are expected to hit on random girls and try and get their magical phone number?
Women like this system because it means they don't have to make the effort and they get free food so.... Yeah.

Secondly, and far more importantly with my criticism. Something that all the reporting has missed out on- the entire thing is schilling for a charity devoted to stopping "Street harassment". On that...well most of the stuff in the video wasn't harassment; some certain was, and a lot of the rest was rude, but most wasn't harassment.
And a charity for stopping street harassment? Sorry but...as lame as it may be for victims of it there are far more pressing problems out there for both people in general and feminists to be dealing with (domestic abuse anyone?). This has got to be one of the stupidest ideas for a charity ever.

This really ties into the growing modern trend for these oh so meaningful viral videos...they just annoy me. Nobody seems to get the idea of charity cannibalisation.  These bandwagons that last for a month then dissapear...I mean can anyone even remember what charity that ice bucket thing was collecting for (not that most people realised it or donated)?

So yeah...there's my little rant. I'm curious to see the views of people on here since it isn't a place which toes the PC bandwagon jumping line.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM
.I mean can anyone even remember what charity that ice bucket thing was collecting for (not that most people realised it or donated)?

ALS  :smarty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

I have to say I find it bizarre and when I was in NYC everybody looked to be rushing by not harrasing each other.  But I am not a woman in NYC so how would I know it is not right?  Generally I thought it was considered pretty douchey to cat call or talk to strange women alone on the street.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It has been posted absolu-bloody-lutely everywhere. I'm sure you've all seen it.
A somewhat woman walks down the street behind a hidden camera and lots of guys try to speak to her, one or two of them become outright freaky.

As per usual I am skeptical of this video and the "OMG women have it so hard! Woo feminism!" conclusions everyone is drawing for it. Which has of course gotten me into trouble with some friends who seem to be taking it as a very 'with us or against us' issue.

First up....Is this not the way American dating culture is constructed? As always I am at pains to point out here that I am a long way from an expert and am just going from what I've learned from the media. But...isn't the way things work in America that guys are expected to hit on random girls and try and get their magical phone number?

Somewhat attractive woman I assume?

No, no it's not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

To be fair, there were several instances shown that take a rather great stretch to call "harassment".

But not too much more than the overly creepy number.

CountDeMoney

I'm curious to see the views of people on here since it isn't a place which toes the PC bandwagon jumping line.

You're still a sociopath.

Tonitrus

For the record, she is a hottie, and I would certainly admire her in passing.  But I'm not the "hey baby, 'sup?" type.  :sleep:

Admiral Yi

I tried out a piropo on a Colombian hottie that worked in my department at the IMF once and got her to blush.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 09:00:16 PM
For the record, she is a hottie, and I would certainly admire her in passing.  But I'm not the "hey baby, 'sup?" type.  :sleep:

She's quite the hottie, but you're supposed to notice her by not noticing her. 

I never understood the need for cat calls and all that other bullshit, and hate being around guys that are.  It's insulting and impolite.  Act like you've been in the end zone before, and hand the ball to the ref.  No need to spike it and dance like an idiot.

The proper, polite and gentlemanly thing to do is mind your tongue, don't ogle, and wait until you are home to masturbate.  After you get her plates and find out where she lives.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 09:06:15 PMAct like you've been in the end zone before, and hand the ball to the ref.  No need to spike it and dance like an idiot.

Yeah, I always feel sorry for all the dudes you see posting blubbering comments on pretty girls' social media accounts as well. It's like I'm feeling the embarrassment they should be feeling but aren't. I pretty much think the catcallers are those same guys.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

OTOH, it must work once in a while. I mean people don't continue behavior in large numbers if that behavior always fails to achieve a positive result. Maybe the funnyordie dude should do an experiment where he catcalls at women for ten hours and see how many numbers he gets.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 30, 2014, 09:25:57 PM
OTOH, it must work once in a while. I mean people don't continue behavior in large numbers if that behavior always fails to achieve a positive result. Maybe the funnyordie dude should do an experiment where he catcalls at women for ten hours and see how many numbers he gets.  :P

Are they actually cat calling to score numbers?  If they are I guess I can see it but the sense I get it is more about just being a douche for the LOLs.

'How did you and mommy meed daddy?' 'Well I saw her walking down the street and she was hot so I said 'Daaayum girl'

Is not typically the story you expect  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I just smugly assume that the guys who cat-call are the same types who would be become gang rapists in situations where society/law-and-order break down.  :sleep: