So what do you make of that woman in New York video

Started by Josquius, October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 31, 2014, 08:44:38 AM
She should move to London where no strangers will talk to her ever.

I so love societies like this. Feelings are meant to be repressed and/or let out in an occassional outburst, not shared.

You would so love Toronto.* Home of severe repression, particularly in public.  ;)

*Well, except for the weather. No-one loves Toronto's weather.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

The mentality of cat-calling some girl on the sidewalk is so foreign to me.  I've never had the slightest urge to do that, nor have I ever known a guy who would.

I'm thinking it's just a lower-class thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2014, 10:04:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 31, 2014, 08:44:38 AM
She should move to London where no strangers will talk to her ever.

I so love societies like this. Feelings are meant to be repressed and/or let out in an occassional outburst, not shared.

You would so love Toronto.* Home of severe repression, particularly in public.  ;)

*Well, except for the weather. No-one loves Toronto's weather.

Places with shitty weather is what Polish immigrants love. That's why so many Poles moved to Chicago of all places.

KRonn

I was wondering if the person with the camera was visible to the bystanders. If so, they may have thought the woman was an actress or some kind of celeb and that spurred some of the comments on how nice she looked because they thought they were talking to a celebrity. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 10:01:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2014, 09:34:56 AM
I know they edited it out most of the white dudes(they said so in interviews) but It was quite telling that most of the cat-callers were drug dealers & drug dealers look alike.

btw, Tyr, I agree with out. Americans you are blind, this is how your dating culture starts for out of high school people.

What the fuck, Grey Fox?

There is a difference between hitting on a single girl in bar by offering to buy her a drink and approaching a complete stranger in the broad daylight in the street. Anyone who does not understand that is either a pervert or a sociopath.

Yes, American dating culture has been misinterpreted by scores of millenials that are turning into sociopaths.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 31, 2014, 10:06:18 AM
The mentality of cat-calling some girl on the sidewalk is so foreign to me.  I've never had the slightest urge to do that, nor have I ever known a guy who would.

Yeah. Of course, I can imagine from the women's perspective it can be pretty threatening or at least uncomfortable even if this is "only" done by lower class men.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2014, 10:10:54 AM

Yeah. Of course, I can imagine from the women's perspective it can be pretty threatening or at least uncomfortable even if this is "only" done by lower class men.

I'm detecting sarcasm but I'm not sure I'm seeing your point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Are you familiar with the Argentinian piropo?

Valmy

Well right.  You do not talk to women alone on the street for this reason.  The fear is also why these jerks can get away with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

Well right.  You do not talk to women alone on the street for this reason.  The fear is also why these jerks can get away with it.

They can get away with it because, literally, there is nothing to stop them - assuming their own embarassment or sense of the impropriety of harrasing someone like that doesn't (as it certainly would stop me  ;) ).

Complementing someone in public, however disquieting, isn't illegal, and most women aren't about to start a fight over it; nor will strangers step in, unless the complimenter/harrasser does something more. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM
It has been posted absolu-bloody-lutely everywhere. I'm sure you've all seen it.

For the record, this is a poor way to start a thread.  :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2014, 10:28:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uQInTECI4

part of the brussels version

It seems this is too brutally sexist for American eyes.

Are the harrasers Walloons or Flems?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."