So what do you make of that woman in New York video

Started by Josquius, October 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2014, 12:14:18 PM
http://thyra10.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/so-you-want-to-date-a-scandinavian/
(Brits and Scandinavians have more in common than is realised).

Pretty accurate. But I don't see how this difference in culture is meant to be the reason for catcalls. If you walk in the wrong neighbourhoods in Copenhagen there'll be douchebags yelling inappropriate or threatening things too, of course there's not nearly as many people here so it'll probably take longer to get to a 100 but it'll come.
Its not just cat calls though, most of it is guys just trying to say hello.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2014, 12:29:02 PM

Pretty accurate. But I don't see how this difference in culture is meant to be the reason for catcalls. If you walk in the wrong neighbourhoods in Copenhagen there'll be douchebags yelling inappropriate or threatening things too, of course there's not nearly as many people here so it'll probably take longer to get to a 100 but it'll come.

Well the original NYC girl was admittedly doing this in the city in the US most known for rudeness and also probably knew the best streets to walk to in order to get this negative attention. I've literally never seen this happen in real life, but I don't hang out in the Bronx.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 10:35:27 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2014, 10:28:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uQInTECI4

part of the brussels version

It seems this is too brutally sexist for American eyes.

Are the harrasers Walloons or Flems?

generally immigrants (often muslims).

it's Brussels, barely any local people left between the eurocrats and the migrants

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 31, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
Well the original NYC girl was admittedly doing this in the city in the US most known for rudeness and also probably knew the best streets to walk to in order to get this negative attention. I've literally never seen this happen in real life, but I don't hang out in the Bronx.

Also, you're not a young woman walking through town unaccompanied.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2014, 01:55:39 PM
Also, you're not a young woman walking through town unaccompanied.

He's probably seen young women walking through town unaccompanied.

MadImmortalMan

Yes, and I walk often accompanied by women who get plenty of thirsty looks.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2014, 02:00:47 PM

As have I.

I believe it's not uncommon to have different perceptions of events that are targeted directly at you compared to those that target others unlike you.

For example, elsewhere I was arguing in response to this video that there are some cultural differences in play and that we don't see this kind of cat-calling in the parts of Canada I live in. Because, you know, I've never really seen it at all.

In response I was informed by several young women party to the discussion that they do in fact experience cat-calling on a weekly basis, and they do live in the same part of Canada as I.

So yeah, maybe it's down to a difference in vantage points.

garbon

I've literally never seen this happen in real life, but I don't hang out in the Bronx.

I'm in the village and the example I gave Malthus happened here this week.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 02:15:52 PM
I've literally never seen this happen in real life, but I don't hang out in the Bronx.

I'm the village

A bit more humility, please, young man.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2014, 02:10:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2014, 02:00:47 PM

As have I.

I believe it's not uncommon to have different perceptions of events that are targeted directly at you compared to those that target others unlike you.

For example, elsewhere I was arguing in response to this video that there are some cultural differences in play and that we don't see this kind of cat-calling in the parts of Canada I live in. Because, you know, I've never really seen it at all.

In response I was informed by several young women party to the discussion that they do in fact experience cat-calling on a weekly basis, and they do live in the same part of Canada as I.

Agreed. I don't generally notice people being catcalled when I'm walking around but know that my sisters experienced/experience fairly often during the course of the year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2014, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2014, 02:15:52 PM

I'm the village

A bit more humility, please, young man.

:lol:

:blush:

in the village. :(

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I do notice from time to time a certain...call it social pressure from other guys. Like a few months ago I was sitting on a bench waiting for a tram in Vienna and my wife went to a wurstelstand to get a snack. I was sitting there playing with my camera setting to see if I could get good night shots. So I take some pics of her order the sausage. This sounds way dirtier than it is. :P

Anyway these dudes nearby who didn't see us show up together start giving me dirty looks. Like I'm perving on a pretty girl in the street. There's a sort of, I don't know, protectiveness? I think it's the guy version of when all the girls in the room hate the prettiest one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2014, 02:10:03 PM

I have seen young women getting cat called here from everything from construction workers to guys in suits.  On one comical occasion a guy in a suit cat called a woman approaching me.  The timing was just right for it to look like she and I were meeting on the street.  The cat call died in his throat as he looked up at me.  The girl and I both had a laugh and carried on our way...

I think that is a good illustration of what Jacob is talking about.