News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2014, 08:06:45 PM

Likely not. I doubt that most kids from poor families have enough time to sit around cramming useless facts into their heads.

It is true that poor kids have a tough time.  But I doubt it is because they don't have enough time.  More like they give up before even trying. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:14:16 PM

The system is designed for selection.  If a person gets an A, that's an indication that he is better than the rest.  It would be meaningless if too many people get As.   

As an individual, I can only play along.  I am not going to say, the only way to win is not to play it, and end up washing dishes.

Absolute bullshit. The goal of an education system should be to educate everyone to a high standard, not as horse and pony show that arbitrarily picks winners and losers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:14:16 PM

The system is designed for selection.  If a person gets an A, that's an indication that he is better than the rest.  It would be meaningless if too many people get As.   

As an individual, I can only play along.  I am not going to say, the only way to win is not to play it, and end up washing dishes.

Absolute bullshit. The goal of an education system should be to educate everyone to a high standard, not as horse and pony show that arbitrarily picks winners and losers.

I don't think it is arbitrary.  To a certain extent, good grades do reflect effort, intelligence, and/or determination.  Especially in a relative sense. 

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:15:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 08:02:43 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 07:48:30 PM
The beauty of the system is that anybody can do it.

Quote from: Mono, like five minutes ago
Why?  If the rule says you have to beat the other 95% of students, then that's what we should do.

Huh?  I don't see the contradiction.  Anybody can beat the other 95% and become the 5%.

This is why we won the Korean War.  Anybody can beat the other 95% to the American lines!  It could be you!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 07:31:47 PM
I just do not see how anything good could result from me using the term bitch or slut even as a compliment. 

It's all very tone of voice and the presence.

I can do a pretty good rendition.

An...extraordinary rendition?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 08:26:41 PM

This is why we won the Korean War.  Anybody can beat the other 95% to the American lines!  It could be you!

Are you saying that, because the system sucks, students should refuse to study?  The system is not perfect, but as individuals they still need to find jobs.  Just because they don't like the system, therefore they should give up without trying and be content with cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes, doing telemarketing, etc for the rest of their lives?  Is this what you propose?

BTW, this thread is quite an eye opener to me.  I have no idea that some teenage girls...think that way.  Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest. 

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:34:06 PM
Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.

"Probably" not; literally any of them could be in the 5% uninterested in romance.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 09, 2014, 08:26:41 PM

Are you saying that, because the system sucks, students should refuse to study?  The system is not perfect, but as individuals they still need to find jobs.  Just because they don't like the system, therefore they should give up without trying and be content with cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes, doing telemarketing, etc for the rest of their lives?  Is this what you propose?

BTW, this thread is quite an eye opener to me.  I have no idea that some teenage girls...think that way.  Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest.

What?

I teach at a relatively high ranking girl's high school and all the students are interested in romance. The girls on the college track generally aren't able to engage in it because of the ludicrous 8:30am-10pm schedule they're on, but that doesn't mean they're not interested.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest.

Most of the OP was, as mentioned, hyperbole and kvetching. But Riley is by no means the only girl in any of the local high schools dating. She's also getting straight As in her classes. And my boys dated throughout most of high school, too. (Though they had crappy grades in high school. :glare:)

I would say that it's normal in the United States to have relationships while a teenager, yes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 08:38:44 PM

What?

I teach at a relatively high ranking girl's high school and all the students are interested in romance. The girls on the college track generally aren't able to engage in it because of the ludicrous 8:30am-10pm schedule they're on, but that doesn't mean they're not interested.

Using your terms, every single student in my school would be on the college track.  Yes, even the worst students. 

Josquius

Actually having high school in the uk would be a start. Our system sucks, leaving comprehensive school at 16 and being thrown into a crappy 2 years of exams, in what should be the prime period to enjoy being young and that.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest.

Most of the OP was, as mentioned, hyperbole and kvetching. But Riley is by no means the only girl in any of the local high schools dating. She's also getting straight As in her classes. And my boys dated throughout most of high school, too. (Though they had crappy grades in high school. :glare:)

I would say that it's normal in the United States to have relationships while a teenager, yes.

I do admit that my school is not a representative sample.  My experience is that around 10-15% of the class dated.  The rest aren't interested.  At least, that's what I think.  I know absolutely nothing about the psyche of teenage girls, let alone the dating culture in the US. 

Capetan Mihali

Mono puts the "parochial" into parochial schooling.

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 08:51:44 PM

It was a school founded by the Church of England, yes.  There isn't a big focus on religious stuff, despite the fact that Christianity is a mandatory subject.  My school has a reputation in HK as one of the craziest exam machines in a land of crazy exam machines  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:56:12 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 08:51:44 PM

It was a school founded by the Church of England, yes.  There isn't a big focus on religious stuff, despite the fact that Christianity is a mandatory subject.  My school has a reputation in HK as one of the craziest exam machines in a land of crazy exam machines  :lol:

St.Pauls?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"