High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

HEY YOU GODDAMNED FOREIGNER, WHERE IS THE SHITTER?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:31:17 PM
"Hello," "Please," "Thank you," "Where's the bathroom?", "Goodbye," "Delicious!", "1, 2, 3", "How much?" -- these are phrases you'd want to learn from a guidebook if you were visiting a country for a week.
My vocabulary is much larger than that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 10:36:56 PM
Can you play CK2 in Korean?
While I do know the word for King in Korean and can read Hanguel probably not. Though I've played enough that I could probably muddle through just due to memorizing the interface.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:31:17 PM
"Hello," "Please," "Thank you," "Where's the bathroom?", "Goodbye," "Delicious!", "1, 2, 3", "How much?" -- these are phrases you'd want to learn from a guidebook if you were visiting a country for a week.

This is pretty typical western thinking.  A few Brits tried to say good morning to me in Cantonese.  The key word being try, becuase it is extremely difficult for a westerner to get the pronounciation right.  Cantonese and English are in completely different language groups.  All they accomplished was confusing the locals. 

Just speak English. 

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
My first car--before I could save up the cash for the '76 Plymouth Volare Road Runner--was my mother's hand-me-down '81 Chevette.  Oh. Dear. God.

OMG I had one of those. 

I even had a 2nd a van version.  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 10:39:15 PM
Just speak English.

That's pretty typical Monoriu thinking, and I'll be sure to follow your standards of etiquette and use English exclusively when we meet.  But I've found knowing some non-English pretty crucial for showing respect and, beyond that, just being able to conduct basic business in a bunch of situations, not just Western.  It's not just to be cute and endearing.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 10:38:47 PM
While I do know the word for King in Korean and can read Hanguel probably not. Though I've played enough that I could probably muddle through just due to memorizing the interface.

Your students also taught you a bunch of words for rain, right?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:44:23 PM
Just speak English.

That's pretty typical Monoriu thinking, and I'll be sure to follow your standards of etiquette and use English exclusively when we meet.  But I've found knowing some non-English pretty crucial for showing respect and, beyond that, just being able to conduct basic business in a bunch of situations, not just Western.  It's not just to be cute and endearing.

:yes:

In France, an attempt to communicate in their language got me better service and even *gasp* SMILES than the loud talking Americans and Germans tourists.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Just speak English.

I really don't think there is any expectation in HK for foreigners to speak Cantonese. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:45:04 PM

:rolleyes: Words for different kinds of weather and that was one example from one class.

It's not as if that was the only class I picked up vocabulary in.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
My first car--before I could save up the cash for the '76 Plymouth Volare Road Runner--was my mother's hand-me-down '81 Chevette.  Oh. Dear. God.

My first car was an '85 BMW 535i (with manual, of course).  I loved that car. :wub:

Until the constant repairs forced me to sell it at a massive loss. :weep:

Then I had a '91 Taurus.  For as boring a car as that was, it was rock solid, and it took me from numerous trips to Flin Flon and back, plus a trip to Milwaukee and back, all in under a year until I was rear ended and it was written off. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 11:08:37 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:45:04 PM

:rolleyes: Words for different kinds of weather and that was one example from one class.

It's not as if that was the only class I picked up vocabulary in.

Seriously, get with the program.  Mihali has become entirely fluent in Vermontese.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Just speak English.

Yeah, in the West attempting to learn someone else's languages is sign of respect and deference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2014, 02:16:49 AM

Yeah, in the West attempting to learn someone else's languages is sign of respect and deference.

A lot of restaurants in HK hire foreign waiters and waitresses, because they are cheaper and because they speak English.  When they serve me, I speak English.  On a few rare occasions, I mistakenly thought they were Chinese and I spoke Cantonese to them.  Guess what?  I was in the wrong and I switched to English when I realised that they were not Chinese.  This is HK, where like 98% of the population speak Cantonese. 

I just can't imagine the same thing happening in, say, Paris or Quebec City.  Waiting staff who can't speak French so that customers must speak English to them?  There'll be a strike or riot or something  :lol: