High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 09:56:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 09:39:47 PM
The school I was talking about is Korean and I think the academic atmosphere is probably not that different from HK.

Somehow I doubt your school and my school are alike.  Obviously I don't know anything about your school.  But like I said, my school is not a good representative sample of HK.
Aside from being in denail about it being a good system, what you describe sounds virtually identical to the Korean system.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 09:59:46 PM
Well, I manage to kind of put food on the table, with a lot of help from the wife.   Won't call my job middling though.  It is a dead end  :Embarrass:

You do alright Mono.  You clearly travel and enjoy life now....and counting down those days until retirement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 09:39:47 PMThe school I was talking about is Korean and I think the academic atmosphere is probably not that different from HK.

How did the Koreans develop their reputation for video gaming excellence with these brutal school hours?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 09:58:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 09:49:28 PM

How can you tell?
Academic Stockholm Syndrome

Nice turn of phrase, Tim. :)  But really I was just piling on re: you not knowing any Korean after 4 years there. :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2014, 09:55:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 09:43:26 PM
1989 was the best year. I was a senior and had a severe case of Dontgiveafuckatallitis. I had my credits, all I had to do was show up and act all groovy. None of that stupid required tests to graduate or forced community service bullshit like the saps have to do now.

Just me, my AMC Pacer and whatever girl I was banging. Good times.

Heh, back when we could still do those things in the back seat of a sub-compact, her legs up and out the window.  :lol:

Plus I had my sweet K-Mart money and could splurge a bit on the honeys. 3 something an hour. WOOT WOOT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Monoriu

How can you tell?
From the way that Mono describes it, it's pretty clearly quite similar. Though unlike Mono who has Academic Stockholm Syndrome, Koreans tend to believe that it's a terrible oppresive system.

HKers believe it is a terrible system too.  There is a reason why so many parents send their kids overseas.  Competition for the international schools (which do not follow the HK curriculum) is insane.  I happen to think the system has merits.  It is a great system for someone who likes to lock himself up in a room :contract:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 10:02:55 PM
Plus I had my sweet K-Mart money and could splurge a bit on the honeys. 3 something an hour. WOOT WOOT

Caldor for me.  Lulz, Domestics. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2014, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 10:02:55 PM

Caldor for me.  Lulz, Domestics.

I was in the electronics/TV section. With those bastard wood cabinet TV's. MAH BACK

merithyn

Mine was a 1980 Honda Civic hatchback (blue) and the AMC 6, back when six theaters in one building was MASSIVE! :cool:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

At least yours wasn't a fishbowl on wheels.

Those Pacers had a bad rust problem on the floorboards.

CountDeMoney

My first car--before I could save up the cash for the '76 Plymouth Volare Road Runner--was my mother's hand-me-down '81 Chevette.  Oh. Dear. God.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

How can you tell?
Academic Stockholm Syndrome

Nice turn of phrase, Tim. :)  But really I was just piling on re: you not knowing any Korean after 4 years there. :sleep:
That's an exaggeration
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

"Hello," "Please," "Thank you," "Where's the bathroom?", "Goodbye," "Delicious!", "1, 2, 3", "How much?" -- these are phrases you'd want to learn from a guidebook if you were visiting a country for a week.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)