High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 01:55:08 AM
Seriously, get with the program.  Mihali has become entirely fluent in Vermontese.

:rolleyes:  As a matter of fact, I *have* learned how to use "Jeezum crow!" as a minced oath and to call soft-serve "creemies."

Which is way more effort than I put into trying to get my Spanish up to actual conversational level by taking several hours of non-credit classes and tutoring every week during the last two years of law school, in the vain hope I'd be able to represent monolingual Spanish-speaking defendants (of which there are none in Vt.).

EDIT:  And yes Tim, I know Korean is magnitudes of difficulty harder for an English-speaker than Spanish or French.  I don't think you're bad or are doing something reprehensible, I'm just a little sad you haven't gotten more out of being there -- especially in terms of employability in other fields.  I'm also a little jealous, since when I was studying languages I felt like the only way to really get over the hurdle was to live somewhere it was spoken and use it for everything.  But I never particularly wanted to know Korean, and perhaps you didn't either, so maybe it's not fair to you. :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2014, 11:19:26 PM

Until the constant repairs forced me to sell it at a massive loss. :weep:

I bought my Honda Civic for $100. I put $50 into it to fix the tierod, drove it for two years, and then the tierod broke again. I sold it to some kid for $100. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on April 10, 2014, 03:17:12 AM
A lot of restaurants in HK hire foreign waiters and waitresses, because they are cheaper and because they speak English.

:unsure:

Are they from India?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 08:11:41 AM
A lot of restaurants in HK hire foreign waiters and waitresses, because they are cheaper and because they speak English.

Are they from India?

No.  Usually Filipinos and Thais. 

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Before the Mono soul crushing fest this thread was making me miss late teens dating.

Where did it go? :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 10, 2014, 08:22:17 AM
Before the Mono soul crushing fest this thread was making me miss late teens dating.

Where did it go? :(

Down the drain... like so much Jack Daniels.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on April 10, 2014, 08:13:59 AM

Are they from India?

And they speak better English than HKers? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 08:47:13 AM

Are they from India?

Unfortunately, yes.  The HKers who are waiters and waitresses generally don't speak much English.  Filipinos and Thais generally speak good English. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 08:47:13 AM

Are they from India?

Most Filipinos I ran into were fluent, even hicks running convenience stores in the backwoods.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:34:06 PM
Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest.

Most of the OP was, as mentioned, hyperbole and kvetching. But Riley is by no means the only girl in any of the local high schools dating. She's also getting straight As in her classes.

Sex: F
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

For one of our outsourced products, we use a call center in the Philippines.  I think they do a great job, but it frustrates some of our clients' idiot customers, because while they can never place the accent, it sounds vaguely foreign :gasp:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

My Dodge Valiant (and more particularly that very roomy back seat) was where it was at!