High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Mono comes from a different galaxy and is possibly an alien but surely not a human being. News at 11.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:04:20 PM
Though, if I recall correctly, by the end of his senior year, he was pretty much done with dating at that point. In fact, I don't think he's dated anyone since then.

Ah yes this was that time I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:34:06 PM
Is Meri's kid an exception or what?  Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.  In my school, the male/female ratio was like 1:2, and most of the top students were female.  They are the ones who study the hardest.

Most of the OP was, as mentioned, hyperbole and kvetching. But Riley is by no means the only girl in any of the local high schools dating. She's also getting straight As in her classes. And my boys dated throughout most of high school, too. (Though they had crappy grades in high school. :glare:)

I would say that it's normal in the United States to have relationships while a teenager, yes.

I do admit that my school is not a representative sample.  My experience is that around 10-15% of the class dated.  The rest aren't interested.  At least, that's what I think.  I know absolutely nothing about the psyche of teenage girls, let alone the dating culture in the US.
The school I was talking about is Korean and I think the academic atmosphere is probably not that different from HK.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
I would say that it's normal in the United States to have relationships while a teenager, yes.

That would be the only reason to ever go through it again.  Hot, hot teenybopper sex.

Now I gotta play some Whitesnake.

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:34:06 PM
Most teenage girls probably aren't interested in romance.

"Probably" not; literally any of them could be in the 5% uninterested in romance.
:lol:

Mono, I'm arguing that the math you're using to prove your point may be flawed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

1989 was the best year. I was a senior and had a severe case of Dontgiveafuckatallitis. I had my credits, all I had to do was show up and act all groovy. None of that stupid required tests to graduate or forced community service bullshit like the saps have to do now.

Just me, my AMC Pacer and whatever girl I was banging. Good times.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
I do admit that my school is not a representative sample.  My experience is that around 10-15% of the class dated.  The rest aren't interested.  At least, that's what I think.  I know absolutely nothing about the psyche of teenage girls, let alone the dating culture in the US. 

Yeah have a horrible childhood of boredom and oppressive stress and you to can have a middling job in the HK Civil Service. :P

I guess the main thing it would have developed in me is a hatred for all humanity since it is due to everybody else studying from dawn to dusk that has ruined my life and made me a slave.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2014, 09:39:47 PM
The school I was talking about is Korean and I think the academic atmosphere is probably not that different from HK.

How can you tell?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 09:43:26 PM
1989 was the best year. I was a senior and had a severe case of Dontgiveafuckatallitis. I had my credits, all I had to do was show up and act all groovy. None of that stupid required tests to graduate or forced community service bullshit like the saps have to do now.

Just me, my AMC Pacer and whatever girl I was banging. Good times.

Heh, back when we could still do those things in the back seat of a sub-compact, her legs up and out the window.  :lol:

Razgovory

In my senior year I had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized.  Actually due the medication they were giving me I was kinda fuzzy that whole year.  I'm not entirely sure what happened.  I know I was never charged for any of those things so as far as I'm concerned I didn't do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Somehow I doubt your school and my school are alike.  Obviously I don't know anything about your school.  But like I said, my school is not a good representative sample of HK.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 09, 2014, 09:56:11 PM

Somehow I doubt your school and my school are alike.  Obviously I don't know anything about your school.  But like I said, my school is not a good representative sample of HK.

Since I probably would have gotten Bs at your school, what does that get you in Hong Kong?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 09, 2014, 09:49:28 PM

How can you tell?
From the way that Mono describes it, it's pretty clearly quite similar. Though unlike Mono who has Academic Stockholm Syndrome, Koreans tend to believe that it's a terrible oppresive system.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 09:45:20 PM

Yeah have a horrible childhood of boredom and oppressive stress and you to can have a middling job in the HK Civil Service. :P

I guess the main thing it would have developed in me is a hatred for all humanity since it is due to everybody else studying from dawn to dusk that has ruined my life and made me a slave.

Well, I manage to kind of put food on the table, with a lot of help from the wife.   Won't call my job middling though.  It is a dead end  :Embarrass: