High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 01:02:03 PM
American high school: like in the movies?

Kind of.  The cliqueness is very intense in Middle School and early on in High School, but begins to break down in Junior and Senior, and even a bit in Sophomore year.  It is less of a caste system than the most absurd movies suggest. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on April 09, 2014, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2014, 01:02:03 PM
American high school: like in the movies?

Kind of.  The cliqueness is very intense in Middle School and early on in High School, but begins to break down in Junior and Senior, and even a bit in Sophomore year.  It is less of a caste system than the most absurd movies suggest.

There were definitely separate groups in our high school but there was a lot of easy movement between them.  We had the Jocks, the Stoners, the Geeks etc.  I crossed all boundaries very easily as an over 6 foot athlete who played D&D and partied hard.   :D

MadImmortalMan

Teenage girl speak:

"All the boys" = "All the boys I'm attracted to"

"I want a good boy" = "I want a bad boy but without the consequences"

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on April 09, 2014, 12:15:45 PM
Meh. I know plenty of guys that won't go around badmouthing girls. They don't now, they didn't then.

If a nice guy is what you want, a nice guy is what you have to go for. Meri, your daughter might not be, but you are certainly old enough to have figured this out by yourself by now.

Actually, a friend and I were talking about this. There are assholes and there are nice guys across all of the cliques in high school. The problem is that the assholes are very free with their opinions regarding girls, while the nice guys are, well, nice about it, and don't really say a lot about it one way or the other. So, it seems as if all of the boys are assholes when you're in the midst of it.

As for the "old enough to figure this out for myself", obviously I have, as I married a Canadian. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 09, 2014, 01:50:40 PM
I think if Riley pays attention, she's only talking about the boys she's attracted to. The nice ones are the ones she never even considers and has never wasted a firing synapse thinking about.

;)

The boys who are spilling this to her aren't guys that she's attracted to, which is part of the problem. They're mad that she doesn't like them.

Her last boyfriend was very much a "nice guy", and they had a long discussion about how neither of them were ready for sex. Then he dumped her because she was more like his best friend than a girlfriend.

Stupidity crosses the sexes. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on April 09, 2014, 02:22:31 PM

The boys who are spilling this to her aren't guys that she's attracted to, which is part of the problem. They're mad that she doesn't like them.

Yeah I would take that particular information with a grain of salt then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Has anyone accused her of being bossy yet? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Capetan Mihali

American high school is more segregated along socioeconomic lines than the movies -- where everyone is rich, of course, except for the one "poor" outsider (actually from an upper-middle class background) who wins everyone over by the end of the story -- would show you.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

My high school had a pretty clear socioeconomic divide.  The poor kids were dirt poor, smelled bad, always got in fights, never participated in athletics, had long, ratty hair, listened to RATT and other horrible hair bands, smoked, and had zero interest in academics.  The rest of us were mostly middle class with a few upper middle class sprinkled in.  Huge separation between the two major groups.  There were some subgroups but they were fairly fluid.

Almost everyone was white, so there was no racial or ethnic differences to come into play.

Ed Anger

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 02:44:41 PM
My high school had a pretty clear socioeconomic divide.  The poor kids were dirt poor, smelled bad, always got in fights, never participated in athletics, had long, ratty hair, listened to RATT and other horrible hair bands, smoked, and had zero interest in academics.  The rest of us were mostly middle class with a few upper middle class sprinkled in.  Huge separation between the two major groups.  There were some subgroups but they were fairly fluid.

Almost everyone was white, so there was no racial or ethnic differences to come into play.

I had the advantage that everyone was basically poor except for the children of the few families that owned businesses in town.  That group of "rich kids" was too small to really be a group unto themselves so an economic divide wasnt really possible.  There was this one kid who's father was a professor though....

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 02:50:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 02:44:41 PM

I had the advantage that everyone was basically poor except for the children of the few families that owned businesses in town.  That group of "rich kids" was too small to really be a group unto themselves so an economic divide wasnt really possible.  There was this one kid who's father was a professor though....

Well, to be fair, gigantic mutants sort of transcend socio-economic classification ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius