Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2014, 04:41:10 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2014, 12:54:28 PM
Just ran a personal best 5km: 27m13s. :blush:

Time for a sprint triathlon?

No, I'm only doing this running thing because a friend challenged me to a half-marathon. How hard could it be, I thought.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2014, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2014, 04:41:10 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2014, 12:54:28 PM
Just ran a personal best 5km: 27m13s. :blush:

Time for a sprint triathlon?

No, I'm only doing this running thing because a friend challenged me to a half-marathon. How hard could it be, I thought.

A half-marathon is what 20K?

So 20/7 =  2.85714285714286 time infinitely hard for some of us.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Liep, do you plan to run the whole half-marathon or run/walk?

But if you have the cycling, a sprint triathlon is generally a ~20 mile bike followed by a 5k. So you are basically there. Of course preceded by a swim, I don't know how adept you are at swimming.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

I swim okay, but I don't see the fun in mixing it with anything else. And yes, it's 21km.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

I came across this by one of the top mountaineers in the world talking about his training. Apparently the core of his training is running 100-140 km per week, and he favors long runs (half marathon) not intensity runs to prepare for high altitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sy13BWkhj0

edit--some of you may remember the fight some westerners got into with sherpas on everest recently. That was this guy on the trip he is talking about preparing for--which caused the trip to end as a fiasco.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
Today I woke up and was really hungry. So I ordered pick up from outback. I felt like I ate a lot so I decided to look up the damage:

Aussie Cheese Fries: 1930 calories
12 oz New York Strip: 655 calories
Broccoli side: 109 calories
Loaded Potato: 532 calories

Total: 3,226 calories

I'm still working on the bread, which is another 310 calories. Regardless, I feel like I accomplished something today.  :)
Wow. Those fries are a day's worth of food. How big are they? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2014, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
Today I woke up and was really hungry. So I ordered pick up from outback. I felt like I ate a lot so I decided to look up the damage:

Aussie Cheese Fries: 1930 calories
12 oz New York Strip: 655 calories
Broccoli side: 109 calories
Loaded Potato: 532 calories

Total: 3,226 calories

I'm still working on the bread, which is another 310 calories. Regardless, I feel like I accomplished something today.  :)
Wow. Those fries are a day's worth of food. How big are they? :blink:

They are an appetizer. They are fries topped with bacon and cheese with ranch dressing. They are apparently meant to be shared among 6 people, but because I am a man* I ate them myself.

*"an American" may be more accurate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 10, 2014, 09:30:24 PM
*"an American" may be more accurate.

On our recent trip we were remined again just how big portion sizes are down there.  Its good for eating family style though.  A couple appetizers for everyone to share and then a couple more plates of entrees to share.

If everyone had their own appetizers and meals we would have put on some serious weight.

Maladict

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2014, 09:19:43 AM
Right, since my Ventoux plan collapsed I signed up for something insane closer to home.

It's a 4 km lap containing a fairly vicious 1 km climb (average 10%, max 13%).
The challenge is to do up to 40 laps.  :lol:

Just four weeks to go. Had a 120 km training session in the hills on Friday, it wasn't very pleasant.
The hill I'm supposed to climb 40 times I saved for last, and I had to drop to ~10 km/h to make it to the top. :Embarrass:

Liep

Climbing on a bike is not as fun as Contador make it out to be. I tried Teide earlier this year and if it hadn't been for the very nice view I wouldn't have bothered strugling my way up. I got about 30km into the 60km climb and it was the hardest thing I've ever tried, closely followed by riding downhill completely exhausted.

Maladict

Teide is some serious climbing.  :cool:

I like climbing a lot actually, I'd it prefer to flat terrain every time. But I've been seriously underestimating this particular challenge.
Maybe it's because these climbs are so short, it's hard to find a good rhythm.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on August 11, 2014, 04:14:55 AM
Teide is some serious climbing.  :cool:

I like climbing a lot actually, I'd it prefer to flat terrain every time. But I've been seriously underestimating this particular challenge.
Maybe it's because these climbs are so short, it's hard to find a good rhythm.

This is my 'excuse' for avoiding All hills around here, they really aren't big enough to be able to get into the swing of things.   :P

Kudos, to both of you for those climbs, I Would die on them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Today is shoulder press day. I love this lift, so underrated.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on August 11, 2014, 07:26:28 AM
Today is shoulder press day. I love this lift, so underrated.

Yeah, I like the shoulder press too.  Now that I am doing a lot of squats and back rows I havent spent as much time on those as I should.  I am mainly doing shoulder abductions and bench presses with heavy barbells on a ball for my shoulders - I need to get the shoulder press back into the routine.

Liep

10km in 58 minutes. I think I was faster when I ran that in school some 15 years ago but since that was also the last time I was able to run that distance I think it's pretty good.