And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Joe Cocker

Started by Syt, December 22, 2014, 02:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

QuoteSinger Joe Cocker dies aged 70

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70.

The singer song-writer from Sheffield had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.

His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed that he had died of an undisclosed illness.

He said he was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts."

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.

He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one.

His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award.

He was honoured with an OBE in 2007.

Last year he broke all his own records in arenas across Europe, with a number one album in Germany and what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

Marshall said "he was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain- and remained the same man throughout his life.

"Hugely talented, a true star, but a kind and humble man who loved to perform. Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him."

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

A truly great talent, gone.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

He was one of those great singers that really didn't have a great voice but had great style.  RIP.

And I thought he was most famous for "You are so Beautiful."  Whatever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Apparently he used to babysit from Jarvis cocker. Which is amusing considering it was at the height of his fame.

:(
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

No kidding, I thought that was his trademark.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2014, 08:00:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2014, 04:19:49 PM

No kidding, I thought that was his trademark.

I think that was more the one he re-invented himself with, for the previous 15 odd years he had success with other covers including 'friends', which didn't he famously sing at Woodstock?

edit:
I check, yes he was at Woodstock, though I didn't find a set list.

Here's Paul MaCartney talking about him and that song:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30582085

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Here's his performance of "With A Little Help From Friends" at Woodstock. And yes, it's pretty damn amazing.

http://youtu.be/POaaw_x7gvQ

And the setlist is here: http://woodstock.wikia.com/wiki/Joe_Cocker
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

"With a Little Help From My Friends" was a bigger hit in the UK than in the US, while "You Are So Beautiful" was a bigger hit in the US (in fact, it didn't chart in the UK, and I'm not sure it was ever released as a single there).  Though overall, I guess his biggest hit was "Up Where We Belong".  I guess you could consider any of them as his signature song, depending on where you're from and how old you are.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2014, 05:02:53 PM
"With a Little Help From My Friends" was a bigger hit in the UK than in the US, while "You Are So Beautiful" was a bigger hit in the US (in fact, it didn't chart in the UK, and I'm not sure it was ever released as a single there).   (snip)

I hadn't thought of that.  Makes sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!