News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Get a cheap kettlebell and watch youtube instruction videos for full body workouts. It doesn't require anything else and only a little space.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2014, 07:26:47 AM
I've been thinking about doing a little bit more weight training, but I have no idea how. 

I want to do it at home.  I have a bed, a sofa, a couple of chairs, and 2 dumbbells.  That's it, no barbells, no benches, no machines.   

Already doing shoulder push and bicep curl.  Anything else that I can do with the dumbbells?  I know absolutely nothing about weight training, and I can barely lift my desktop computer up.  I am not trying to build up any muscles.  That's for another life.  I just want to lose some weight and perhaps make it a bit easier to move my suitcases around. 

Upper body exercises are preferred.  My centre and leg muscle strength is non-existent.  Body flexibility index is at or slightly below zero, whatever that means.  Something any idiot could do.  Not going to hire a trainer, so I need something I can do without supervision.

I think you're an excellent candidate for a scalable bodyweight exercise program. Do that for 5 to 6 months then assess and reevaluate your goals. Here's a free one that's very beginner-friendly. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-fitness/#axzz39K8RSYUZ
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Monoriu

Hmm, I've been doing shoulder presses and bicep curls.  I just want a third option :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcpY20QaE8

This looks doable to me.  I don't have a bench, but I guess I can put two chairs in a row pretend that they are a bench.  Getting one knee on the bench/chair and staying in position is going to be difficult.  But at least this doesn't seem to require strength from the legs to pull the dumbbell up.

What do you think? 

Legbiter

Curls and shoulder presses for weight loss is a very, very low return-on-investment way to go about that. As in, nigh on impossible to achieve. :hmm: The biggest bang for your buck and the least time-consuming way is a stripped-down, no-frills bodyweight program like the one I linked to.

With the usual caveat that weight management is best accomplished in the kitchen by eating whole, non-processed meat, fish and veg. Things that are satiating and nutritionally dense. :contract:

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2014, 09:59:32 AMThis looks doable to me.  I don't have a bench, but I guess I can put two chairs in a row pretend that they are a bench.  Getting one knee on the bench/chair and staying in position is going to be difficult.  But at least this doesn't seem to require strength from the legs to pull the dumbbell up.

What do you think?

Sure, I do dumbbell rows as an assistance exercise on bench days. And your feet help you maintain balance so they're involved as well.

Monoriu

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2014, 10:33:40 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2014, 09:59:32 AMThis looks doable to me.  I don't have a bench, but I guess I can put two chairs in a row pretend that they are a bench.  Getting one knee on the bench/chair and staying in position is going to be difficult.  But at least this doesn't seem to require strength from the legs to pull the dumbbell up.

What do you think?

Sure, I do dumbbell rows as an assistance exercise on bench days. And your feet help you maintain balance so they're involved as well.

Really?  Ok, Need to look for something else then. 

Legbiter

Just try one dumbbell row Mono. :) Report back. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2014, 10:38:43 AM
Just try one dumbbell row Mono. :) Report back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFq5jdwWwX4

I just did this, doing away with the bench because it is too troublesome. While I felt that it wasn't too difficult, I was quite sure that I was doing it wrong.  No idea how to do it correctly.

May have to ask the wife to watch the video, then have her coach me to do this.  She hates my dumbbell exercises though. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2014, 10:23:58 AM
With the usual caveat that weight management is best accomplished in the kitchen by eating whole, non-processed meat, fish and veg. Things that are satiating and nutritionally dense. :contract:

But carbs are so yummy. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Haven't done anything targeted as fitness related recently, just a bit of transport bike riding, and that's dropped rather, probably done about 75 miles in the last two weeks.  :blush:

Anyway, so now it's no longer in the mid-80s/humid I took my flat-bar hybrid semi-road bike for a spin. Did one of my usual routes up onto the downs, turned around and came home same way. Not too bad, quite a strong gusty tail/cross wind, so got to the top of the 100m climb at the end in about 45 minutes, down hill for the first bit home, but the wind had strengthened to a strong headwind.

All told a bit over 24 miles in 90 minutes dead. Quite pleased with that given its my first real exercise in a month and pleasant to be nearly out of breath at the top, for a change. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

My fitness goal for 2014 is watching more home exercise equipment commercials. DAT ASS
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on August 03, 2014, 02:30:31 PM
Haven't done anything targeted as fitness related recently, just a bit of transport bike riding, and that's dropped rather, probably done about 75 miles in the last two weeks.  :blush:

Anyway, so now it's no longer in the mid-80s/humid I took my flat-bar hybrid semi-road bike for a spin. Did one of my usual routes up onto the downs, turned around and came home same way. Not too bad, quite a strong gusty tail/cross wind, so got to the top of the 100m climb at the end in about 45 minutes, down hill for the first bit home, but the wind had strengthened to a strong headwind.

All told a bit over 24 miles in 90 minutes dead. Quite pleased with that given its my first real exercise in a month and pleasant to be nearly out of breath at the top, for a change.

Sounds good  :cool:

garbon

5 miles of walking today. The Nikes that I purchased the other day were a good purchase. Dogs barely barked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Did 35 miles - normal route, two times up the hill.  I missed a bunch due to a hurt leg and vacation, going to miss more.  Still, it felt good to get out there and ride hard for two hours.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on August 03, 2014, 05:05:40 PM
Did 35 miles - normal route, two times up the hill.  I missed a bunch due to a hurt leg and vacation, going to miss more.  Still, it felt good to get out there and ride hard for two hours.

Yes, for various reasons I've missed a lot and likely more, so time to pull my finger out and do some longer evening rides.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"