News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

My levels of activity have plummeted since the heat got going and me having to sit around and watch the Tour de France.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Planning another trip next Friday, haven't done much the last few weeks.

Sadly, I postponed one of my long cherished plans yet another year: cycling across the country from north to south.
It clocks in at about 350km, and I haven't even broken 200 this year. A fairly sensible decision, I must be getting old :(

Legbiter

Today I'll do some benching and dumbbell rows. In a concession to the cardio hags of languish I'm throwing in a tabata on the airdyne bike.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 26, 2014, 05:53:52 PM

Now, here's what I have to say about this. Firstly, the tldr is, "Liberal weenie got into weight lifting and got big and strong, but his wife wanted a little waifish twink marathon runner so he let all his muscle atrophy away and started doing immense amounts of cardio again."

Googled him. His problem aside from his Fag Voice is his crippling snobbishness and lack of spine in standing up for himself.  :mellow: You can see him in action here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbsTvnnyxo#t=14
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 27, 2014, 06:13:33 PM
Yes, but marathons are stupid. They are literally the least impressive human achievement because they require almost no strength whatsoever, just the ability to repeat something. They're very easy. Anyone who can walk can complete a marathon. Only progressive training gets you to deadlift 2.5x body weight. Moreover, lifting requires finely tuned technique, completing a marathon does not necessarily involve any technique at all. What's odd is that people have chosen to put so much in to things that are so unimpressive.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.
Whether or not running a marathon is impressive depends on the time it takes someone and their physique. Just like lifting weights / body weight.
While someone who finishes a marathon in 8 hours may consider it a fantastic achievement (and for some it really is), most people would be unimpressed.
Running a marathon in 2.5 hours is impressive by most standards, and absolutely requires a lot of skill.

The problem here is that most people think anyone can run (or ride a bike), and they don't need to pay attention to technique. That's why so many end up ruining their bodies, as you mentioned. It is what happens when the necessary skills are ignored, not because this kind of exercise is bad for you. If all those people were to take the same approach to weight lifting, the same thing would happen.

Liep

After 4-5 years of heavy use my bike needs its first repair. The crank box has been declared dead after groaning a lot during my last trip.

I fear it's going to be expensive. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2014, 09:03:32 AM
After 4-5 years of heavy use my bike needs its first repair. The crank box has been declared dead after groaning a lot during my last trip.

:(

On the cheap bikes I usually use it's a $15 part and I do it myself (famous last words - I am now due a frame destroying stuck bottom bracket)

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2014, 09:03:32 AM

4-5 years is pretty good. I don't think it will be that expensive.
But be weary or salespeople trying to sell you an upgrade because they don't stock the exact same part anymore.

Liep

I deliberately chose a bike shop that doesn't sell those outrageously expensive bikes so that they wouldn't try and fix me up with one such spare part. But $15 sounds almost too cheap to be true, especially in Copenhagen.

I would've tried to fix it myself if I had a garage, at least I tell myself so.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2014, 09:26:45 AM
I deliberately chose a bike shop that doesn't sell those outrageously expensive bikes so that they wouldn't try and fix me up with one such spare part. But $15 sounds almost too cheap to be true, especially in Copenhagen.

I would've tried to fix it myself if I had a garage, at least I tell myself so.

Oh yeah, it is too cheap, but I'm talking about my rubbish bikes, typically were any fixed cartridge is a step-up on the old cup and bal-lbearing affairs that weigh a ton.

Plus of course you're in a capital city, so there's that premium.

Vricklund

I heard the tell-tell clicking sound of a broken ball bearing myself just the other week. Luckily it wasn't the crank but the pedal- it was possible to replace without any special tools.

Liep

A nice surprise, the mechanic told me the gear changer had been knock out of position and was the reason for the noise, also perhaps that I should invest in new pedals.

With the gear fix and a general tune up it was about €30. Far cheaper than I feared though, and ready for tomorrow's sunny weather.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on July 31, 2014, 08:47:28 AM
While someone who finishes a marathon in 8 hours may consider it a fantastic achievement (and for some it really is), most people would be unimpressed.

People might be unimpressed by the fitness required to walk for 8 hours, but they'd still be impressed by the willpower.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2014, 12:11:24 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 31, 2014, 08:47:28 AM

People might be unimpressed by the fitness required to walk for 8 hours, but they'd still be impressed by the willpower.

Sure, but it's not exactly running a marathon.

Maladict

Just spent an obscene amount of money on a satnav for my bike. :blush: