And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2014

Started by Maladict, January 01, 2014, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on July 12, 2014, 05:21:08 PM
Squat day went well, still alive.

I cant do squats very well these days.  Kills my knees.

Darth Wagtaros

I went running yesterday. I quickly discovered why it was on the list of excersises I am not supposed to do. Fuckingknee.
PDH!

Legbiter

Deadlift day is today. Wub you all guys if I don't make it back.  :cry:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on July 15, 2014, 07:58:31 AM
Deadlift day is today. Wub you all guys if I don't make it back.  :cry:

I will pray for you brother Legbiter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

I did stiff legged deads today.  Still alive.
PDH!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2014, 08:13:28 PM
I do work out, albeit not as regularly as discipline would demand.  It does help my mood, a little.  I want to run, but it's just the worst and I really hate doing it at the opportune times, when the fit people in neighborhood are out in force.  Getting lapped by a guy with one leg?  Distressing.

I need some new weights, too.  In fact, I'm already exceeding the point where 35lb. one-hand dumbbell I use for arm stuff seems at all heavy--I just keep adding reps to it.  I dunno if that's considered good or not, but it's like a third of an attractive woman, so it can't be too bad.

What I really, really need is a bench and bar.  But the cost is fucking outrageous.

What you're doing is a hypertrophy type exercise if all you do is increase repetitions. It's not the best way to build strength, in fact there are limitations to how much strength it can build since it's the opposite of progressive loading. It can build muscle size, but even that is ultimately going to be limited by the lack of progressive loading.

Your intuition that you need a barbell is correct, as what you need to be doing if you're lifting weights is the big time, compound lifts, low reps (5 ish) for a few sets, increasing the weight every time you lift until you can't any more (with your shitty diet this will be in week two, for a person willing to eat it's 6-9 months out.)

Instead of a bench, check out "independent squat stands" or even just regular squat stands. They can be had for $150-225 starting price and they allow you to do other lifts other than the bench press (the least important, albeit still an important, of the compound barbell lifts.) But you'll need an independent bench as well, which sets you back another $150-200. Bar and plates is another $150-200.

If you have a Play it Again Sports franchise near you, they sell all of this stuff for a lot cheaper. Usually plate weights in the $0.50/lb range, bars in the $75-99 range, and benches/stands in the $100-150/pop range. You could get fully decked out with all you'd need for years to come for $350-500 depending on how lucky you get on finding shit.

Eddie Teach

I don't think his apartment has room for all that shit. Probably better to just go to the gym.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 15, 2014, 10:53:51 PM
I don't think his apartment has room for all that shit. Probably better to just go to the gym.

Yeah, I don't know Ide's living situation these days, I assume bleak/abysmal. But some people don't do well with gyms, if he or anyone else does join one I suggest staying away from CrossFit type gyms, or Planet Fitness, in most areas the YMCA actually is a very good option. If you want to lift seriously, you can, if you don't, you can do that too. The more serious lifting gyms run the casuals out, and the intentionally casual gyms like Planet Fitness will make you live if you exert too much effort while lifting weights.

And I actually mentioned independent squat stands because they are very small, they probably take up less than 20 sq.ft. when pushed up against the wall. If he has room for a bench he has room for these guys, and they're less than $200 new. You can do up to 500 lb squats or 250 lb bench in there, and honestly once/if you get past that point you're a serious enough weight lifter you probably should be going to a serious gym or be willing to invest real money in better equipment.

Also that has safeties for when you bench. Bench press is basically the only regular lift that any number of people actually die doing, and if someone is contemplating benching at home they either need a dedicated spotter who can deadlift as much as they're benching, or some system with safeties in place.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2014, 10:46:46 PM
Another week into training.  Down another 4 lbs but muscle mass is increasing so weight loss will probably slow down here on in.  Down about an inch around the waist so I am in the awkward between sizes stage.

Weight is now 266.  Lost 14 pounds in total since I started back.  My playing weight was 240 so unlikely I am getting back down to that but I can try.  :)

Weekly update time.  Weight holding steady at 266 but mid section slowly making its way back up to shoulders and biceps.  I think I need to increase the intensity of my workouts now and increase the weight to maintain weight loss.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2014, 05:59:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2014, 10:46:46 PM
Another week into training.  Down another 4 lbs but muscle mass is increasing so weight loss will probably slow down here on in.  Down about an inch around the waist so I am in the awkward between sizes stage.

Weight is now 266.  Lost 14 pounds in total since I started back.  My playing weight was 240 so unlikely I am getting back down to that but I can try.  :)

Weekly update time.  Weight holding steady at 266 but mid section slowly making its way back up to shoulders and biceps.  I think I need to increase the intensity of my workouts now and increase the weight to maintain weight loss.

:cool:

Does seem to be increasingly a battle against gravity, doesn't it. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2014, 06:28:07 PM

Yep.  If I could go back and tell my 30 something self one thing it would be to not stop working out so as to better prepare for when the wheels start falling off after hitting 40.

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2014, 06:33:39 PM

Yep.  If I could go back and tell my 30 something self one thing it would be to not stop working out so as to better prepare for when the wheels start falling off after hitting 40.

I'm going to take this advice to heart.  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 17, 2014, 04:43:28 AM

I'm going to take this advice to heart.  :)

Yes it's good advice.

iirc my late 20s were a fitness low point for me, luckily I got a new bike six months after turning 30 and got back into cycling.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2014, 05:57:27 PMYour intuition that you need a barbell is correct, as what you need to be doing if you're lifting weights is the big time, compound lifts, low reps (5 ish) for a few sets, increasing the weight every time you lift until you can't any more (with your shitty diet this will be in week two, for a person willing to eat it's 6-9 months out.)

Yeah, I think Ide is noticing a glitch in the Matrix but if I could reach out and change just one thing I'd go lodge with him for a month and wean him off of that candied school cafeteria diet that he's surviving on. Everything else that follows will be 100 times easier and just outright enjoyable in and of itself.

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2014, 06:28:07 PM

Yep.  If I could go back and tell my 30 something self one thing it would be to not stop working out...

Point taken.