Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Bombing the shit out of Assad`s CandC may prove enough in the long run.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2013, 11:13:01 AM

What do you mean by "enough"

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 11:14:04 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2013, 11:13:01 AM

What do you mean by "enough"

in turning the tide against Assad in the civil war.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2013, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2013, 10:42:43 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 27, 2013, 10:40:35 AM
It just seems like a foolish risk to take unless you're desperate and have little left to lose.

Meh, thats a first world problem.  I doubt that is the thought process of a tyrant who can kill with impunity.

No, that's rational tyrant-think, and if Assad was a "gas them for the heck of it" kind of guy, he would have done it earlier when he was more desperate. This is a rebel setup.

An interesting theory.

Where did the rebels get all that sarin and the means to deliver it, do you think?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

If this was a rebel setup, then how is it that the people contemplating reprisals against Assad are not aware of that?

How is it that Tamas can figure this out, but those with vastly greater amounts of intelligence and technical resources at their disposal have been fooled?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 11:18:34 AM
If this was a rebel setup, then how is it that the people contemplating reprisals against Assad are not aware of that?

How is it that Tamas can figure this out, but those with vastly greater amounts of intelligence and technical resources at their disposal have been fooled?

:rolleyes:

1. I wasn`t aware that I have to add the "IN MY OPINION" disclaimer after everything I write. Just imagine it after them.
2. It is in the interest of those people (US etc.) to be served with a casus belli, therefore they act as if this was indeed an Assad stunt.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
An interesting theory.

Where did the rebels get all that sarin and the means to deliver it, do you think?

IIRC there were confirmed reports of the Turks finding sarin in an al-Nusra camp late this past Spring.  I'm guessing they had raided Syrian government chemical stocks.  Means to deliver it?  That I honestly don't know.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2013, 11:28:28 AM

:rolleyes:

1. I wasn`t aware that I have to add the "IN MY OPINION" disclaimer after everything I write. Just imagine it after them.
2. It is in the interest of those people (US etc.) to be served with a casus belli, therefore they act as if this was indeed an Assad stunt.
It isn't really in our interest to be involved.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I'm not so sure that it's in our interest to have a CB against Syria.

Personally, I'd much rather see us bomb Iran or North Korea.

derspiess

Could be that certain interventionist elements in Western countries want any excuse to get involved and aren't too concerned about actual proof.  I know that's a cynical answer, but you asked a cynical question.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 11:31:23 AM

Could be that certain interventionist elements in Western countries want any excuse to get involved and aren't too concerned about actual proof.  I know that's a cynical answer, but you asked a cynical question.

Meh, if the West wanted to get involved there have been plenty of "excuses" before now.

derspiess

Tamas

Also: wasn`t this a "red line" declared by Obama? Even if he doesn`t want to intervene, this is about losing face for him.
And declaring (true or false) that the rebs did it (ie. siding with Russia and China and Assad) would look horribly wrong for them unless there is some pretty conclusive proof for it.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
An interesting theory.

Stole it from the Syrian army, then planted shells or containers in an area they expected the Syrian army to shell and waited for Syrian artillery to spread the agents.