Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 11:31:23 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2013, 11:18:34 AM
If this was a rebel setup, then how is it that the people contemplating reprisals against Assad are not aware of that?

How is it that Tamas can figure this out, but those with vastly greater amounts of intelligence and technical resources at their disposal have been fooled?

Could be that certain interventionist elements in Western countries want any excuse to get involved and aren't too concerned about actual proof.  I know that's a cynical answer, but you asked a cynical question.

That is certainly possible. But it seems rather implausible.

First of all, the people making the decisions don't seem to be fishing for an excuse - quite the opposite, they have consistently resisted getting involved at all at every turn of events. Further, they have nothing to gain by getting involved in a "cynical" manner - there is no support for this, there is no political hay to be made, and in actuality to risks in getting involved are considerable, and much MORE considerable if you calculate the risk of getting involved when you KNOW that it is all a setup, and we all know that lies like that almost never hold up over time.

I mean, sure, it is possible. But it seems pretty much of the "did the US really land on the moon?" level of conspiracy theory.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

If this was a rebel setup, then how is it that the people contemplating reprisals against Assad are not aware of that?

How is it that Tamas can figure this out, but those with vastly greater amounts of intelligence and technical resources at their disposal have been fooled?

Could be that certain interventionist elements in Western countries want any excuse to get involved and aren't too concerned about actual proof.  I know that's a cynical answer, but you asked a cynical question.

Who wants to get involved? The obvious suspects, the neo-cons, seem to be content to sit on the sidelines just pointing out that this is happened without a US invasion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on August 27, 2013, 11:50:58 AM

Who wants to get involved? The obvious suspects, the neo-cons, seem to be content to sit on the sidelines just pointing out that this is happened without a US invasion.

Neocons like Graham and McCain desperately want to intervene, and there is a strong interventionist faction in the administration.  If nobody wanted to get involved, we wouldn't have had that red line in the first place.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 27, 2013, 11:50:58 AM

Neocons like Graham and McCain desperately want to intervene,

If McCain is for it, that is strong evidence that those who actually make decisions are not frothing at the mouth to intervene, since they pretty much have completely opposite views from McCain on almost all issues, and his promoting a course of events is a good way to get those in power to oppose said course.

Quoteand there is a strong interventionist faction in the administration.  If nobody wanted to get involved, we wouldn't have had that red line in the first place.

That pre-supposes that the only reason to have said red line was the knowledge that it would be crossed.

Sometimes a red line is just a red line.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

I wish the US would not get involved anywhere. Unless it is to nuke someone. ;)

I'm getting tired of these wars in the desert. <_<
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Bluebook

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
Both sides are the bad guys.  And I really don't see how our national interests are served by getting involved.

Can you see how your national interests are served if the entire world understands the "if you use chemical weapons, you die"-lesson?

derspiess

Quote from: Bluebook on August 27, 2013, 12:24:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
Both sides are the bad guys.  And I really don't see how our national interests are served by getting involved.

Can you see how your national interests are served if the entire world understands the "if you use chemical weapons, you die"-lesson?

Are we talking about using chemical weapons against the US or our allies?  If not, then no, I can't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 27, 2013, 12:12:11 PM

There has been some unrest recently in the Maldives...Should we make an exception to the nuke everything policy?  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

There has been some unrest recently in the Maldives...Should we make an exception to the nuke everything policy?  :P

Are you using Obama code for "Malvinas"? :yeahright:

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 12:31:10 PM

I don't think he wants to the falklands. He seems somewhat sane and lucid.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

As long as I don't get deployed to the desert again, we should nuke whatever we need to. There may be some collateral damage. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

But IIRC, his wife is half Argie.  Never trust Argies, nor those married to them :ph34r:

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 27, 2013, 12:33:22 PM

But IIRC, his wife is half Argie.  Never trust Argies, nor those married to them :ph34r:

Correct on all points.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

My post wasn't meant to suggest I think there is some sort of conspiracy afoot here. :contract:

I am just struggling to understand Assad's motivation.  If I may compare him to Saddam, Saddam as we know had vast chemical stockpiles during the Iran-Iraq War but IIRC he withheld use of them until after 1982 when Iran went on the offensive, and the Iraqis felt that the fall of Baghdad was a real possibility.  He then gassed the shit out of his opponents toward the end of the war (Iran and the Kurds both) because he was trying to get Iran to the negotiating table as his country was totally exhausted by that point.

So If I'm Assad, and I appear to be winning, then what do I have to gain by using weapons that will almost certainly attract vast amounts of negative international attention?  Don't give me the "HE'S CRAZY LOL!" excuse.  He can't be that crazy, or he would have been offed a while ago by some dude in his military.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points