Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I have her photo on the back of my front door. Who do you think I pray to before leaving everyday?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Bluebook

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2013, 03:33:19 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on August 27, 2013, 03:23:08 PM
You dont think that is a bit irrelevant? We are talking about personal opinions here and now, you bring up something that is not about personal opinions and is from the past century.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I wasn't asking about the past. 

You suggested a moral imperative to act in Syria, similar to the moral imperative of the Holocaust.  Do you believe the same moral imperative applies to Sweden?  Should Sweden do something in Syria to show that use of chemical weapons will not be tolerated?  If so, what?

What we lack in military ability, we more than make up for in empty rethoric!

The sad truth is that while we have troops in Afghanistan since 02 and while we have had missions to Somalia, Liberia and Libya, we never go alone and never without a UN-mandate.

I would like us to join a coallition of the willing to enforce a no-fly zone over Syria, and a naval blockade. But that is just wishful thinking. The current administration is very UN-oriented, and the UN is being its useless self in this conflict.

Syt

Experts Point To Long, Glorious History Of Successful U.S. Bombing Campaigns

QuoteWASHINGTON—In light of increased pressure on President Obama to order a military strike on Syria, leading historians and military experts on Tuesday simply pointed to the United States' longstanding and absolutely impeccable record of successful bombing campaigns over the past 60 years. "The record clearly shows that, in every instance since the Second World War in which the U.S. government has launched strategic missile attacks on foreign soil, our military forces easily targeted enemy assailants with total precision, leaving no civilian casualties, collateral damage, or any long-term negative consequences for the affected country or region, American foreign policy, or international relations as a whole," said Harvard University historian Dr. Michael Carmona, adding that such past U.S. bombing operations have gone particularly well in Middle Eastern countries over the last century. "Just look at the 1954 bombings in Guatemala, the 1965-to-1973 bombings in Laos and Cambodia, the 1982 bombings in Beirut, the 1986 bombings in Libya, the 1987 bombings in Iran, the 1998 bombings in Iraq, the 1998 bombings in Sudan, the 1998 bombings in Afghanistan, routine airstrikes in Pakistan since 2005, the 2007 bombings in Somalia, the 2011 bombings in Somalia, and essentially the entire American military effort in Vietnam from 1960 to 1975. Those were all executed perfectly, and led, in the long run, to the most desirable possible outcome." All experts on the subject then agreed unanimously that, if you want to create positive and lasting change in a troubled region, change that you will one day look back on with a deep sense of confidence, pride, and assurance that you did the right thing, then bombing campaigns are almost always the way to go.

More seriously, there's a very good commentary on German news site Die Zeit, about why the international community doesn't take Germany seriously when it comes to a crisis like Syria - main point was, "Much criticism, but little effort". And that while in topics of economics the world looks to Germany, but when there's an international crisis they know Germany will stand back, the general public asking for America to do something (and then complaining about America playing Imperialist World Police when they do), and in general criticizing whatever happens.

Best comment from Merkel: "These actions must not be without consequence." I.e., "Somebody do something!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

So tomorrow the house of commons votes, Friday is the muslim holy day, so time for Ed to keep a flexible schedule on Saturday or Sunday?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Have they outlined what is the general goal of the coming cruise-missiling?

Legbiter

Regime infrastructure gets 60-100 tomahawks from the US destroyers, the UK throws in 10 via a sub, the French....3 mirages patrol over the naval taskforce.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2013, 07:10:06 AM
Have they outlined what is the general goal of the coming cruise-missiling?

Punitive punitiveness.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on August 28, 2013, 06:25:54 AM
So tomorrow the house of commons votes, Friday is the muslim holy day, so time for Ed to keep a flexible schedule on Saturday or Sunday?

Thursday evening or Friday evening. I don't think the pentagon cares about the holy day crap anymore.

I remain at WAR BONER ONE. THIS IS CRYSTAL PALACE, CONFIDENCE IS HIGH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Pfft, you get dickteased so easily.

5 destroyers, 2 subs, a UK sub, no air assets.  Maybe 2 days' worth of volleys.  [homer]Bor-ring.[/homer]

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
Pfft, you get dickteased so easily.

5 destroyers, 2 subs, a UK sub, no air assets.  Maybe 2 days' worth of volleys.  [homer]Bor-ring.[/homer]

THERE IS NOTHING ON TV.

You tried watching Amish Mafia out of boredom? Not a pretty picture my friend.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I know...but instead of a weekend war with the same rote coverage, what we need is a nice, long televised criminal case in some stupid state somewhere.

Derspiess, garbon's got a bottle of Evian and some Mentos.  Go shoot him.