Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2013, 04:43:01 PM
So if this report about the chemical weapons unit commander carrying out the strike without authorization from his superior/Syrian defence ministry is true what might have been the cause ? 

A fuck-up, intentional decision by commander to up the ante, perhaps he was bribed to do it ?
Link?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2013, 05:29:57 PM
So if this report about the chemical weapons unit commander carrying out the strike without authorization from his superior/Syrian defence ministry is true what might have been the cause ? 

A fuck-up, intentional decision by commander to up the ante, perhaps he was bribed to do it ?
Link?

It was mentioned somewhere, it's supposedly the substance of the Israeli intelligence, that they picked up comms between the two, the commander and the defence depart/minister in charge. 

If so I'll be referenced in the next 2-3 days I guess.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2013, 05:52:13 PM
So, an unverified rumor.  :P

Goddam lazy arsed kids today. :rolleyes:

try googling something like " chemical weapons commander syria israeli intercept "

Oh look, I'll give you a url so your poor tired little self doesn't have to paste it into a browser box:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=chemical+weapons+commander+syria+israeli+intercept&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

:P

See, the 'story'/report is all over the news now. 

jimmy olsen

^^^ It doesn't matter if Assad didn't order the attack personally. He's responsible for the actions of his armed forces. In fact, if things are spiraling out of control so badly that units are using chemical weapons on their own accord that's even worse.

Anyways, I think Iran is bluffing. They aren't going to do shit.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/28/syria-retaliation-threat/2723629/

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Iran's full of shit, they're not going to waste their network assets for the sake of Syria when they're worried about using it if and when the West does something about their nuclear program.

Hezbollah and Hamas are not in a position to do more than launch missiles into Israel, because that never happens anyway.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 05:06:26 PM
My launcher is fully erect.

If it lasts for more than 4 hours you are supposed to go see your doctor.  You are going on 48 now...

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2013, 06:41:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 05:06:26 PM
My launcher is fully erect.

If it lasts for more than 4 hours you are supposed to go see your doctor.  You are going on 48 now...

Crews are deflating the launcher as needed.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 07:17:27 PM
Crews are deflating the launcher as needed.

For the next three days, every time you post about missiles launched we'll not know if your updating us on the conflict or describing you latest attempt at siring.

Ed Anger

Razgovory

There is a reason why we don't give ground commanders access to chemical or nuclear weapons.  Sounds like a bullshit excuse.  If they provided the commanders with nerve gas they can't go back and say "wasn't our fault, he didn't put in the paper work to use them".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2013, 07:50:28 PM

There is a reason why we don't give ground commanders access to chemical or nuclear weapons.  Sounds like a bullshit excuse.  If they provided the commanders with nerve gas they can't go back and say "wasn't our fault, he didn't put in the paper work to use them".

It does sound like a bullshit excuse, but I wouldn't dismiss it so easily. Assad doesn't keep chemical weapons in his backyard, just as Obama doesn't keep them in the White House. Aspects of the military have the weapons. If a part of those aspects go rouge, then I think some questions are worth asking:
--will firing cruise missiles result in regime change, and will the group or groups that get power of the stockpiles be able to exercise better command and control?
--if the regime collapses as a result of firing missiles, will the groups that fill the void respect human rights and the norms of war?
--if we fire cruise missiles and the regime endures, will the firing of cruise missiles lead to a further breakdown in command and control that allowed the use of chemical weapons in the first place?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi