Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed.  I doubt it will be an operation over the course of several days, like Operation Desert Fox in 1998.  This will just be a few dozen Tomahawks.  I doubt any long range air assets will even be used.

Ed Anger

They (as in the Washington Post) are talking 2 days of cruise missile fun. Enough for me in this parched TV summer.

I'll also play Tool's Vicarious while CNN is on.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

It would probably make the Tomahawk strikes more effective if everybody didn't fucking tell them they were coming.  Because, gee, letting them move assets or harden targets only makes it fair.

Ed Anger

The Syrian runway repair folks are happy they are going to get to use their equipment.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Gonna have to go with stated US policies and precedents regarding non-proliferation of NBC WMD on this one, derisolationist.  Even if it's a token strike.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 08:29:51 AM
Gonna have to go with stated US policies and precedents regarding non-proliferation of NBC WMD on this one, derisolationist.  Even if it's a token strike.

So we're not going to wait for more evidence, then?  Why didn't we launch a bunch of expensive cruise missiles the first time, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 08:53:53 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 08:29:51 AM

So we're not going to wait for more evidence, then?  Why didn't we launch a bunch of expensive cruise missiles the first time, then?

I assume the answer is that the US gov't wanted to build a consensus with other nations before acting - that is, follow the precedent of Lybia, rather than that of Iraq II. That explains why they didn't push the button a while ago, but are rather going to do so now.

Any action in Syria is going to be difficult and unpopular, with both other nations and with the US people (as you have pointed out). The gov't has to walk the tightrope between doing something to harm the undoubted bad guys (and sending a message that there are certain behaviours that the civilized world simply will not tolerate without consequence), and the requirements of realpolitic - as in, not doing damage to either the US interests or the government's own popularity within the US itself. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 05:19:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 04:49:13 PM
You guys are all war like, but the rest of the net seems pretty quiet. I'd expect more of a PR effort if real troop commitments were to take place.

The rest of the net is distracted by Hanna Montana becoming an exotic dancer.

You should launch Hanna Montana at Syria.

Btw, according to Kerry, attacking people-gassing dictator in Iraq: bad, attacking people-gassing dictator in Syria: good. How does that work?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Solmyr on August 27, 2013, 09:30:08 AM
Btw, according to Kerry, attacking people-gassing dictator in Iraq: bad, attacking people-gassing dictator in Syria: good. How does that work?

Overthrowing people-gassing dictator in Iraq using American manpower 15 years after he did it: bad
Lobbing a few dozen cruise missiles at people-gassing dictator in Syria a week after he did it: good

MadBurgerMaker

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on August 27, 2013, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 05:19:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 04:49:13 PM
You guys are all war like, but the rest of the net seems pretty quiet. I'd expect more of a PR effort if real troop commitments were to take place.

The rest of the net is distracted by Hanna Montana becoming an exotic dancer.

You should launch Hanna Montana at Syria.

There's a statute of limitations to these things.  We don't bomb the UK for using gas in WWI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 09:07:53 AM
I assume the answer is that the US gov't wanted to build a consensus with other nations before acting - that is, follow the precedent of Lybia, rather than that of Iraq II. That explains why they didn't push the button a while ago, but are rather going to do so now.

Any action in Syria is going to be difficult and unpopular, with both other nations and with the US people (as you have pointed out). The gov't has to walk the tightrope between doing something to harm the undoubted bad guys (and sending a message that there are certain behaviours that the civilized world simply will not tolerate without consequence), and the requirements of realpolitic - as in, not doing damage to either the US interests or the government's own popularity within the US itself. 

Both sides are the bad guys.  And I really don't see how our national interests are served by getting involved.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 09:07:53 AM

Both sides are the bad guys.  And I really don't see how our national interests are served by getting involved.

Both sides have not, as far as I know, used chemical weapons on civilians.

The US national interest may not, directly, be served by involvement other than in this way: acting with punitive measures may ultimately discourage the use of chemical weapons more generally. Failing to discourage their use may lead to them being more generally available, which could have bad consequences for the US in the future either directly or indirectly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius