Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2013, 05:13:09 PMI don't really know about the rest of the net but based on the reporting at the Wall Street Journal and the actual comments coming out of the mouth of the Secretary of State President Obama has already committed to taking some action. If not, he's committed to use losing all credibility in the international sphere. The red line comment was dumb, but never explicitly stated by Obama himself (the administration did use the term, but then backed off on it), and we could have probably not acted. But you can't use the rhetoric we've used today and not act, to do so removes power from any words you use in the future, which creates a bad situation that degrades your ability to use such forms of diplomacy to prevent future uses of force.

I'm not sure how informed you are about the naval situation, but we have forces in the Mediterranean sufficient to launch cruise missile strikes against Syria and that is almost certainly what we will do. We don't want to risk downed pilots in Syria and well directed cruise missiles get the job done--which will most likely be a limited strike against chemical weapons facilities and potentially command and control facilities of the regime as a "punitive" measure.

That all makes sense.

I was more looking at other chatter sites I frequent, where it hasn't really pinged yet. And I guess Bluebook's comment of "war it is" put me in mind of the Gulf Wars or Afghanistan, but I guess this is more going to be a Libya level of intervention? Do you guys expect a significant number of boots on the ground or primarily blowing stuff up from a distance?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 26, 2013, 04:47:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 04:30:59 PM
I am pretty sure I would root for the one not actively sponsoring sending bombs into crowded markets in Israel.
On the flip side, how many crowded markets elsewhere got bombed because of Saudi-sponsored Wahhabists?

Of the top of my head, I can think of one in southern Manhattan.

So, to sum up the Big Picture in language all Languish dorks can understand, at last count our choices in the region are:

Lawful Evil: Hezbollah/IRG/pro-Tehran Shia
Neutral Evil: Neo-Ba'athist dictator types in name only
Chaotic Evil: Pro-Sunni/AQ-types/Wahabbists

And of course our Chaotic Neutral friends, Israel.

Well, yahoo for us.  Fire off a few cruise missiles, say we did our part in supporting the international oh-no-you-don't norms against the use of chemical weapons, and watch the eventual disintegration of the Western-imposed construct of post-Ottoman borders over the next several decades.

And Otto, once Syria becomes the Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Syria and fully under the control of Hezbollah, I'm pretty sure Russia's berthing rights at Tartus will go.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 05:30:47 PM
Do you guys expect a significant number of boots on the ground or primarily blowing stuff up from a distance?

For four DDGs, my over/under number of Tomahawks launched will be: 32.  A nice, round figure.

Ed Anger

Plus any B-52's from Barksdale flinging a few.

:boner:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

I think we should recommission one of the BB's and let it toss some 16" shells at the Syrian coastline.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 26, 2013, 05:33:32 PM
And Otto, once Syria becomes the Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Syria and fully under the control of Hezbollah, I'm pretty sure Russia's berthing rights at Tartus will go.
They're fighting Hezbollah militiamen right now. Even if they become the " Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Syria" that doesn't mean they'll be friends with Iran and their agents. Just the opposite in fact.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2013, 05:50:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 26, 2013, 05:33:32 PM
They're fighting Hezbollah militiamen right now. Even if they become the " Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Syria" that doesn't mean they'll be friends with Iran and their agents. Just the opposite in fact.

Nonsense.  While Hezbollah's support of Assad in Lebanon isn't very popular on the ground, they're angling to prevent any pro-Sunni factions from controlling the government, and they'll hold their noses to keep doing so and ensure that the weapons gravy train from Tehran keeps going.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2013, 05:19:24 PM
I'm not readily aware of what sort of sub assets we have in the Med.

If you cant tell us the top secret locations of sub assets what good are you?

No shit.  WTF do we pay him for, anyway??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on August 26, 2013, 03:37:03 PM
The Assad regime has to go. Better a fundy Islamist terrorist regime than let a recognized government get away with using chemical weapons.
What a silly thing to say.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.