Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Saudi Arabia and Iran have been running a regional cold war at least since the end of the big Cold War, probably earlier.

DGuller

I'm not sure which one is worse of the two.  I know which one pissed us off big time, but from the standpoint of an alien dispassionately observing things from afar, I'd struggle to figure out who to root for.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2013, 03:59:29 PM
The line in the sand was stupid. The only logic I can find to support action in Syria is if we can do so in a way that undermines Russia's efforts. So that might mean supporting the Saudis, who have been trying to support the portion of the rebels who aren't Iran/Hezbollah/Russian backed nor al-Qaeda affiliated.
:hmm:
15 of 19.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 26, 2013, 04:27:19 PM
I'm not sure which one is worse of the two.  I know which one pissed us off big time, but from the standpoint of an alien dispassionately observing things from afar, I'd struggle to figure out who to root for.
Which one has killed the least Americans ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I am pretty sure I would root for the one not actively sponsoring sending bombs into crowded markets in Israel.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 04:30:59 PM

I am pretty sure I would root for the one not actively sponsoring sending bombs into crowded markets in Israel.
On the flip side, how many crowded markets elsewhere got bombed because of Saudi-sponsored Wahhabists?

Jacob

You guys are all war like, but the rest of the net seems pretty quiet. I'd expect more of a PR effort if real troop commitments were to take place.

Or are nearby carrier groups en route and about to unleash hell and surprise everybody except languish?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2013, 04:49:13 PM
You guys are all war like, but the rest of the net seems pretty quiet. I'd expect more of a PR effort if real troop commitments were to take place.

Or are nearby carrier groups en route and about to unleash hell and surprise everybody except languish?

As a seasoned armchair general, the shift in tone in Washington gives the game away. Cruise missile strikes are coming..
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

You know, if we had elected John McCain, we wouldn't be in this mess now!*

*We would have, instead, been in this mess years ago.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

OttoVonBismarck

I don't really know about the rest of the net but based on the reporting at the Wall Street Journal and the actual comments coming out of the mouth of the Secretary of State President Obama has already committed to taking some action. If not, he's committed to use losing all credibility in the international sphere. The red line comment was dumb, but never explicitly stated by Obama himself (the administration did use the term, but then backed off on it), and we could have probably not acted. But you can't use the rhetoric we've used today and not act, to do so removes power from any words you use in the future, which creates a bad situation that degrades your ability to use such forms of diplomacy to prevent future uses of force.

I'm not sure how informed you are about the naval situation, but we have forces in the Mediterranean sufficient to launch cruise missile strikes against Syria and that is almost certainly what we will do. We don't want to risk downed pilots in Syria and well directed cruise missiles get the job done--which will most likely be a limited strike against chemical weapons facilities and potentially command and control facilities of the regime as a "punitive" measure.

crazy canuck

The rest of the net is distracted by Hanna Montana becoming an exotic dancer.

OttoVonBismarck

Specifically last reported the 6th Fleet has four destroyers capable of launching cruise missiles at Syria in the Mediterranean right now, additionally there are submarine launched cruise missiles that could come into play as well and I'm not readily aware of what sort of sub assets we have in the Med.

jimmy olsen

A lot of the News sites seem to have realized it. Just look at the front page of NBC, CNN international and Slate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2013, 05:19:24 PM
I'm not readily aware of what sort of sub assets we have in the Med.

If you cant tell us the top secret locations of sub assets what good are you?