News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Did the 25 miles again...though not quite.  Since it snowed this week the last quarter of a mile was snowed in and/or muddy.  Still, the way back was wonderful with a 10 mph tailwind - highest gear the entire way and 40+ mph down from the summit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 04, 2013, 02:17:37 PM
Did the 25 miles again...though not quite.  Since it snowed this week the last quarter of a mile was snowed in and/or muddy.  Still, the way back was wonderful with a 10 mph tailwind - highest gear the entire way and 40+ mph down from the summit.

Sounds like great fun, a friend was telling me, he and some mates were out in the week doing those sorts of speeds down hill on trails/minor roads a bit like yours and with a tailwind, I think on a mix of mountain, 29ers and XC bikes.  Some of it in the dark, but they have excellent lights, said they had a blast.   :cool:

But for me, old and bold pilots and so forth, that's a little too fast, around here there are a few places I'll break 30 mph, but often being on the fringes of a large conurbation and with more dozy elderly drivers about, I have to be keep my speed down a bit, be prepared to take evasive action and keep a watch eye on junctions/turnings. 

Popped out earlier this evening to do some food shop, did about 30 miles, all of it rather flat seeing as the majority was on trails following old railway lines, elsewhere there was one hill of about 60 feet !   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I used to bike down the hills in Berkeley, the area behind Lawrence Labs and around Tilden Park.  Strawberry Canyon or Claremont Avenue could see 50 mph with traffic...fun when I was 21.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Played some hoops with the boys for a couple hours today.  That was harder than I remember it...

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2013, 05:57:47 PM
Played some hoops with the boys for a couple hours today.  That was harder than I remember it...

I thought you just stood there and let ball dropped into hoop.  :P

Eddie Teach

Yeah, but he's got to lift his arms to do it.

PDH

Tomorrow the wind is supposed to be coming out of the east.  Maybe I should ride the bike to the summit (6 miles, 1500 foot rise) then?

Probably not.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Anyone here fall into this category ? :

Quarter of adults walk just an hour a week, survey finds

A poll for the walking organisation the Ramblers suggests 25% of adults walk for no more than one hour each week.

The YouGov survey, which polled 2,000 adults to find out where and when they walked, found another 43% reported walking for less than two hours a week.

Government guidelines say people should do 150 minutes of "moderate" physical activity each week.

The survey asked people about the total amount of walking they did, including trips to school, work or the shops.

The Ramblers, who are promoting a "Get Walking Week" from 4-11 May, say there is already research showing that two thirds of adults in the UK do too little exercise - and that this survey backs that up.

'Inactivity pandemic'

Despite the low levels of walking reported, virtually all those surveyed - 93% - agreed walking was a good form of exercise.

rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22401589

Maladict

Less than 10 minutes a day? That can't be right.

Maladict

That flu really kicked my ass. Leaving for a cycling trip on Friday and nowhere near ready for it. :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on May 06, 2013, 08:35:04 AM
That flu really kicked my ass. Leaving for a cycling trip on Friday and nowhere near ready for it. :(

Cool, have fun.  :cheers:

And no I think for many people 10 minutes could be correct, we have some chronically unfit people here.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on May 06, 2013, 08:33:21 AM
Less than 10 minutes a day? That can't be right.

The wonders of automobile ownership. :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2013, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2013, 05:57:47 PM

I thought you just stood there and let ball dropped into hoop.  :P

He was playing the hoop.  ;)

Holding one's arms out in a circle in front of him for an hour = tiring.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Not to mention getting beaned in the noggin repeatedly.