Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I don't understand what is so hard to follow.

I simply do not share the masses faux angst over this. I don't think those Marines are any more likely to do something Waffen-SS like because they chose to use a pair of lightning bolt symbols to stand for "Scout-Sniper" than if they had chosen anything else, therefore I do not care beyond the extent that it is going to be used by the emo-crowd to justify their preconceptions.

The Marines have dealt with it in an entirely appropriate manner, stating that it was not acceptable to use that symbolism for obvious political reasons. That is the right move, just like I don't think Obama should have had to release his birth certificate to prove that birthers are dumbasses, but it was probably the right move to do so.

This is a fine example of how stupid people get worked up over meaningless bullshit, while ignoring the things that are actually important. A trivial news article about Marines and their flag is bigger news than actual content about US intentions in Afghanistan, the plans for what we are doing there (and not doing there), what the Taliban is doing, etc., etc.

What is kind of funny is how that is refelected on Languish. We all think we are above the trivial, but clearly we are not - more people care about bullshit like this than actual news.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

The only one really worked up is you and  your fanatical defense of the US military.  A pair of lightning bolts don't exactly leap to mind when I want to write the words "Scout Sniper".

This thread has said much more about you, then anyone else, Berkut.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

In unrelated news, a former sergeant of the Austrian military got acquitted in court today. He had remarked to a fellow sergeant that a bunch of recruits (who had too long hair, and were wearing no or wrong hats) were "a band of jews who should be burned."

As he did the remark before a very small group of people the court decided it did not qualify for hateful incitement or hatespeech. The sergeant had already been kicked out of the army shortly after the incident.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
In unrelated news, a former sergeant of the Austrian military got acquitted in court today. He had remarked to a fellow sergeant that a bunch of recruits (who had too long hair, and were wearing no or wrong hats) were "a band of jews who should be burned."

As he did the remark before a very small group of people the court decided it did not qualify for hateful incitement or hatespeech. The sergeant had already been kicked out of the army shortly after the incident.

:lol:  Good old Osterreich.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

Depends on why I think they are using it - does the swastika have any use OTHER THAN as a representation of the Nazi's? I don't know of one myself, so I would in fact assume that someone using a swastika, no matter what color, is an attempt to associate themselves to the Nazis. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise though, but it would be a tough sell.

Obviously the letters S do in fact have some use beyond them standing for Schutszstaffel. So I am not going to assume that their use is necessarily intended to create an association.

Yes of course.  The Swastika does and has uses other then Nazis.  In fact, the Nazis borrowed it from elsewhere.  They didn't come up with it.  Romans and Greeks both used it.  It's still used in India as symbol of Jainism.  The widespread use of the symbol was seen as proof of one master race that ruled the Earth before the Nazis came to power.  Which is why the Nazis adopted it.

Yeah, I don't understand why Berkut created this easy trap for himself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2012, 02:49:39 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 09, 2012, 11:20:50 PM
IIRC they've been using this particular symbol since before there was an MSNBC.  Vietnam, I think?
I think that would have been mentioned wouldn't it?

I guess not, since it wasn't.   I've seen it before for sure though a long time before this "story" came out, and I'm not/wasn't even a Marine.  These 10 dudes, or whatever I didn't bring the photo back up to count, didn't actually come up with the idea.

E: Wtf.  Page 8?  I'm not reading all this shit, but do people seriously think these guys are the first to use these "SS runes"?

Razgovory

He's not thinking.  I believe he really does not see it.  When it comes to the US military Berkut's brain shuts down
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

Depends on why I think they are using it - does the swastika have any use OTHER THAN as a representation of the Nazi's? I don't know of one myself, so I would in fact assume that someone using a swastika, no matter what color, is an attempt to associate themselves to the Nazis. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise though, but it would be a tough sell.

Obviously the letters S do in fact have some use beyond them standing for Schutszstaffel. So I am not going to assume that their use is necessarily intended to create an association.

Yes of course.  The Swastika does and has uses other then Nazis.  In fact, the Nazis borrowed it from elsewhere.  They didn't come up with it.  Romans and Greeks both used it.  It's still used in India as symbol of Jainism.  The widespread use of the symbol was seen as proof of one master race that ruled the Earth before the Nazis came to power.  Which is why the Nazis adopted it.

Yeah, I don't understand why Berkut created this easy trap for himself.
He enjoys it too.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
He had remarked to a fellow sergeant that a bunch of recruits (who had too long hair, and were wearing no or wrong hats) were "a band of jews who should be burned."

:face:
True Story
That reminds me. In 1990 my team was doing some ILRRPS sponsored training with  Fernspahkompanie 300. One of the German teamleaders (Peter IIRC) ask my fellow US teamleader his name. The US teamleader stated SSG Brownstein. Peter then asked; "Your a german jew then?". Brownstein replied, "Yea, that's right." Peter said, "There arent too many of you left is there? :lmfao:

and BTW. The whole of Fernspahkompanie 300 were wearing some cammo smocks. I recognized the cammo pattern, SS Dot pattern M44. Mind you these smocks looked fucking brand new. When I asked they stated it was left over WW2 stock. Not a one of them would even trade or sell them.

Aint that some shit. 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

I think both the swastika and lightning bolt esses look cool from an adolescent male perspective and that's why the Nazis and these Marines picked them up. The Nazis only own those symbols as long as people let them. I don't think it's clear whether the Marines were using them as an homage to the SS and it's rather uncharitable to assume that they were.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:06:49 PM
I don't think it's clear whether the Marines were using them as an homage to the SS and it's rather uncharitable to assume that they were.
I dont think anyone here said they used it to pay homage to the Waffen-SS.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:06:49 PM
I think both the swastika and lightning bolt esses look cool from an adolescent male perspective and that's why the Nazis and these Marines picked them up. The Nazis only own those symbols as long as people let them. I don't think it's clear whether the Marines were using them as an homage to the SS and it's rather uncharitable to assume that they were.

I don't think though that it's fair to just say oh well, they didn't know better. And then as RH mentioned, where are their officers keeping them in line?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 12:05:13 PM
and BTW. The whole of Fernspahkompanie 300 were wearing some cammo smocks. I recognized the cammo pattern, SS Dot pattern M44. Mind you these smocks looked fucking brand new. When I asked they stated it was left over WW2 stock. Not a one of them would even trade or sell them.

Aint that some shit.

I knew a guy in the NG that caught a ration of shit for showing up at a FTX in Vietnam-era jungle stripes.  lol

11B4V