Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:19:58 AM
Has the existence of the SS forever made the use of the lightning bolt S in any context suddenly verboten?

In a western military context?  Hehe.  Of course.  Are you shitting me?

Not at all. I just don't think the Nazi's should get to own letters.

Just like our units should not be using the fascist salute either no matter how awesome it might have been when the Romans did it.

Not the same thing at all, since if I saw a bunch of people using a Nazi salute, I would be pretty certain that they were using that salute *because* it was the Nazi salute, rather than it simply being a coincidence.

So you think KISS are Nazi lovers then, or are terribly offended that they are clearly trying to emulate the SS because they used those letters in that font?

It is two letters in a particular font, and the flag rather clearly does NOT have any of the other visual cues that it would have if in fact those guys were trying to make it an Nazi SS flag. I can understand why it is used as ammo for those who are always on the lookout for something to be offended by, but I am surprised anyone who actually thinks cares.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:33:54 AM
Same place you have, I guess I am just not nearly so tender and sensitive.

Talk about fucking stupid

That sums their (MARINES) actions up quite nicely
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:35:53 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Can't tell if serious.

Has the existence of the SS forever made the use of the lightning bolt S in any context suddenly verboten?

Yes, Where you been?

I'm not. But, soceity is. That's the reality.

Then the reality is that you should be annoyed that they were not smart enough to realize that using that font would give "society" some fake reason to be offended, rather than actually be offended yourself.

In other words, you agree with me.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Kiss was *trying* to be "bad" Throbby, in their own unique PG-13 way.

PDH

It is not a fake reason. Do you think the only reason people are upset is because they manufactured some outrage after dredging up some false reason from the past?

No, the symbols have meaning in a cultural context, Berk.  There is nothing inherent in a symbol's meaning, and yes it very well could become the symbol of the international peaceful guys group sometime.

But not now.  It still has meaning.  Cultural context gives it that meaning.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:39:16 AM
Can't tell if serious.

Yes, Where you been?

Then the reality is that you should be annoyed that they were not smart enough to realize that using that font would give "society" some fake reason to be offended, rather than actually be offended yourself.

I agree that those Marines were stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 09:36:44 AM
The problem with symbols is that they have cultural meaning, Berk.  In this case, while your qualifier "forever" makes the answer no, the presence the runic double S has meaning that does indeed resonate.

Good point, but my point is that one should not be offended or concerned about the meaning behind a symbol unless there is some good reason to think the person(s) using the symbol actually intend for it to reflect that meaning. KISS using the runic S font is not an issue because nobody really thinks that they are trying to emulate the Nazi SS, even if they symbol in question shares some coincidental similarity.

How is this any different? Do people think they actually were trying to re-create the Nazi SS symbol? Because they did a piss poor job if they were - it is the wrong color, wrong spacing, and has none of the typical iconography that goes with the SS.

I am not surprised that this gets used just like I am not surprised that there are birthers in the world. But I am not going to agree with them.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Before: fill in the blank.

"The farmer said this fall he expects a bumper ______."

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:39:16 AM
Can't tell if serious.

Yes, Where you been?

I agree that those Marines were stupid.

They are Marines though. I mean, duh.

0 rows returned

Valmy

I guess I am confused: if you cannot be offended by the symbols of Nazi Germany what exactly is a legitimate reason to be offended Berkut?  Or is there no legitimate reason to ever be offended?

I mean generally when you pull that shit out you are trying to be hardcore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:42:51 AM
Good point, but my point is that one should not be offended or concerned about the meaning behind a symbol unless there is some good reason to think the person(s) using the symbol actually intend for it to reflect that meaning. KISS using the runic S font is not an issue because nobody really thinks that they are trying to emulate the Nazi SS, even if they symbol in question shares some coincidental similarity.

How is this any different? Do people think they actually were trying to re-create the Nazi SS symbol? Because they did a piss poor job if they were - it is the wrong color, wrong spacing, and has none of the typical iconography that goes with the SS.

I am not surprised that this gets used just like I am not surprised that there are birthers in the world. But I am not going to agree with them.

So you are arguing that they came up with the double runic S without any background, help, internet searches, knowledge of history, or such?  That would be a way such an innocuous reason could be applied, I suppose. But in that case, the Marines in question should have been shocked as well...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

HisMajestyBOB

Next you'll be saying this excerpt from the Marine's code of conduct is also inapprporiate.  :rolleyes:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 09:48:11 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 09:43:52 AM
Before: fill in the blank.

"The farmer said this fall he expects a bumper ______."

Sticker.

Why would a farmer expect a bumper sticker?