Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 08:52:20 AM
Can't we all call them "Guys who really, REALLY shouldn't take photos of themselves in compromising situations" and get along?

:lol:Agreed
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Can't tell if serious.

Completely serious.

It uses two letters with a particular font that is similar to the font the SS used. The spacing is different, the color is different. If in fact they wished to make it clear they were trying to emulate the actual SS, they did a pretty damn poor job of it - and since the concern (if there is ANY valid angst over this) would and should be over a bunch of Marines thinking they should emulate the ethos or methods of the SS then certainly the only relevant question is this - "Do *these* particular Marines intend for that flag to emulate the SS?"

And I think the answer is pretty obviously no, because other than sharing the actual letters (which is explained by them in fact being Scout-Snipers) and the lightning bolt font (which was certainly selected by them for the same reason the actual SS selected it - it looks cool), there is no obvious attempt to make their flag look like an SS flag. And if they did in fact desire that, it would be much more obvious - the coloring alone, for example.

Has the existence of the SS forever made the use of the lightning bolt S in any context suddenly verboten?

I get why this is going to be a minor tempest in a teapot, because the Marty's of the world will look for any excuse to wring their hands and bitch and cry about the nasty military, and it isn't important that their whining actually make any sense. But I am surprised that anyone else would care or make any particular note of it, other than the basic "Damnit, Marines, you should have known the Marty's of the world would use this to get all choked up about - use your fucking heads already!"

I don't look at that picture and make ANY assumptions about those men that is any different because of that flag (other than that they should be smart enough not to give ammo to the emotards). Do you? Do you seriously think that them having that flag says anything about how they operate or their philosophy or ethics?

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

If the Marines had any imagination--which they don't, they're Marines--they'd have used a flag of Marines urinating on dead Taliban.  Now that's comedy gold, Jerry.

Valmy

Their other flag is an maroon swatstika on a green background.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:19:58 AM
Can't tell if serious.

Has the existence of the SS forever made the use of the lightning bolt S in any context suddenly verboten?

Yes, Where you been?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

In a western military context?  Hehe.  Of course.  Are you shitting me?

Just like our units should not be using the fascist salute either no matter how awesome it might have been when the Romans did it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Eh, That swatsticker is going the wrong way. Doesnt count. ;)

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 09:29:12 AM
What's the deal with Chief Blow Job?

I think that is the insignia of the 93rd pursuit squadron. http://www.neam.org/lafescweb/afterle.html

But that rule does not count for pre-nazi things.

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:25:22 AM
Can't tell if serious.

Yes, Where you been?

Same place you have, I guess I am just not nearly so tender and sensitive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Well, Berkut why dont you get a t-shirt made up with big "runic SS" letters front and back. Hell make the colors pink and white for breast cancer awareness. Then wear it all day, at work and out in public. See what the reactions would be.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:33:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:25:22 AM
Can't tell if serious.

Yes, Where you been?

I'm not. But, soceity is. That's the reality.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:33:54 AM

Being tender and sensitive = not being a fucking moron?  I guess I am glad I am tender and sensitive then :lol:

Seriously using obvious imagery from an Army known for aggressive war and racial superiority when you are a Western Army fighting in a third world country?  Talk about fucking stupid even if the Afghans themselves probably do not give a fuck.  Or not...Nazi symbols and Hitler seems frighteningly well known out there.

Since symbolism is clearly only for the tender and sensitive I will walk around burning American flags all day and laugh at anybody who has a problem as being tender and sensitive.

PDH

The problem with symbols is that they have cultural meaning, Berk.  In this case, while your qualifier "forever" makes the answer no, the presence the runic double S has meaning that does indeed resonate.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM