Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2012, 02:11:22 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2012, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 09, 2012, 07:32:51 PM
What would R. Lee Ermy say?

He was a POG. He was not an infantryman, never deployed as an infantryman, and his only call to glory was to serve as a Drill Sergeant safely at state-side.
He wasn't even a Gunery Sergeant (E-7). He left the Marine Corp as an Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was promoted to E-7 much later, as an honorific from the Corp for his contribution as an actor for a good image for the Marine Corp.

So Seigy, would you be happy to serve in a scout sniper unit that had that flag as an unofficial banner ?

Probably not.
Still, I does not come to my mind as nazism unless plainly stated as such by members of that unit.

Fair enough, the proof of the pudding etc.  :thumbsup:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 08:01:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: dps on February 10, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
They aren't soldiers.  They're Marines.
Marines aren't soldiers?
They are Marines.  I understand you could start a bar fight by calling them soldiers. 
Ah, so they actually are soldiers its just they see themselves as special and think soldier is a word which degrades them?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2012, 04:41:52 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 04:30:42 PM
That's stupid Raz.  A war gamer who plays Napoleonic scenarios or one who specializes in the Spanish Civil War might not.

In TOAW if you create a unit with the word "SS" in it, the game immediately translates that into Sig runes.  I remember one scenario the developer tried to make a submarine unit.  I was a bit dismayed to find my that Submarines had an allegiance to Hitler.
Can you produce the threads in which Berkut stated he had played TOAW?

Actually, yes. :ph34r:

QuoteMy problem with TOAW is that once I was good at the game, and understood how the turn timing mechanism worked, and got GOOD at managing it...I didn't like the game nearly as much as when I didn't understand it.

The turn timing mechanism was idiotic. I played TOAW from the day it came out, and I can safely say that I don't think how it ended up was ever how it was intended to begin with. The game really turned into understanding how to structure your attacks to maximize the turn length. Which is just way too much fiddling with very complex mechanics that have no real corollary that I could see to what it was supposed to be simulating.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6688.15.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 07:08:37 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 08:01:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: dps on February 10, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
They aren't soldiers.  They're Marines.
Marines aren't soldiers?
They are Marines.  I understand you could start a bar fight by calling them soldiers. 
Ah, so they actually are soldiers its just they see themselves as special and think soldier is a word which degrades them?

When you meet a marine, chances are you are meeting a pog, not an infantryman.
They have the same rate of infantrymen to support, of 1 infantryman per 7.5 pogs, than the Army.

I have met a few marines over the years, and only two were actual infantryman.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

My money is on the jarhead, unless Josq has his customary fifth of cheap booze in him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Actually, my money is on the drunken tech student - one of them behind the wheel of a 1980s camaro can take out 20-25 infantrymen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2012, 07:53:16 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2012, 04:41:52 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 04:30:42 PM
That's stupid Raz.  A war gamer who plays Napoleonic scenarios or one who specializes in the Spanish Civil War might not.

In TOAW if you create a unit with the word "SS" in it, the game immediately translates that into Sig runes.  I remember one scenario the developer tried to make a submarine unit.  I was a bit dismayed to find my that Submarines had an allegiance to Hitler.
Can you produce the threads in which Berkut stated he had played TOAW?

Actually, yes. :ph34r:

QuoteMy problem with TOAW is that once I was good at the game, and understood how the turn timing mechanism worked, and got GOOD at managing it...I didn't like the game nearly as much as when I didn't understand it.

The turn timing mechanism was idiotic. I played TOAW from the day it came out, and I can safely say that I don't think how it ended up was ever how it was intended to begin with. The game really turned into understanding how to structure your attacks to maximize the turn length. Which is just way too much fiddling with very complex mechanics that have no real corollary that I could see to what it was supposed to be simulating.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6688.15.html
But he doesn't explicitly say that he's played WWII scenarios.
PDH!

Razgovory

Actually he does.  The day TOAW came out, it only had WWII scenarios.   The only way he could have played it "From day one" was to play a WWII scenario.  Besides, it's irrelevant.  The SS turning into to Sig runes feature was  not limited to WWII scenarios, which is why it was so strange.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017