Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: LaCroix on February 12, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 11:57:03 AMYears too late for that old man.  Just like the Slargos-Bark thing.
slargos was (:() a quality poster until he disappeared. i kinda liked him, he contributed even if others always attacked him

Quote from: NeilMartinus can say that he's a lawyer
:D

you know, i really hope martinus doesn't take this too seriously. i mean, there was that one thread long ago about him asking languish... but ... i mean, come on, man. you've a decent sounding life; don't take it to heart

if martinus disappeared, it would be like if the cold war ended. no fun for anyone- except the arabs (razgovorys) of the world
Slargos is also brakdreg.
PDH!

LaCroix

Quote from: 11B4VRaz is a part of the disfunstional family as well. Kind of like the crazy uncle or cousin everyone's got.

we really don't know that, though. what we do know is that he is an idiot to a level unseen by languish. he refuses to accept defeat. there are many threads where he embarrasses himself by continuing to argue time after time when he's been proven wrong. it's a precedent that no other languishite has yet reached, even through martinus or slargos (who at the very least stop posting one proven wrong). he claims he's stupid, yet he engages himself in arguments he has no right to participate in. there is a flaw in how his mind works, and it is permanent. it will always be there until it is ... erased

Darth Wagtaros

Well we all have our hangups.  Slargos has his hate-fucking fixation on Marty and black people.  Marty is obsessed with organized religion as his own personal demigorgon.  grumbler is only happy when engaging in the most ridiculous sophostry, and I a continue to post despite my being irrelevant years ago.  Thats what makes Languish worth visiting. 
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 12:56:18 PM
Well we all have our hangups.  Slargos has his hate-fucking fixation on Marty and black people.  Marty is obsessed with organized religion as his own personal demigorgon.  grumbler is only happy when engaging in the most ridiculous sophostry, and I a continue to post despite my being irrelevant years ago.  Thats what makes Languish worth visiting.

No one is irrelevant. ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

LaCroix

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 12, 2012, 12:56:18 PM
slargos acts ridiculous, which i assume is his point

grumbler is right most of the time, literally, and is very knowledgeable (as is neil)

marty has crazy analogies and is wild beyond belief

in the end, though, people are right ... they offer unique viewpoints ... and that's what makes languish worth visiting

edit: raz offers very little at all

Neil

I give Martinus the attention he needs to survive.  If it wasn't for Languish, Martinus' attention whoring and drama would express themselves in negative ways in the real world, with disastrous consequences.  He'd lose his job, his flat, and would end his days from a self-inflicted stiletto-heel to the brain.

I am the greatest hero that the world has ever known, at least to him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Admitting you're codependent is the first step in recovery.
PDH!

katmai

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2012, 01:26:50 PM
I give Martinus the attention he needs to survive.  If it wasn't for Languish, Martinus' attention whoring and drama would express themselves in negative ways in the real world, with disastrous consequences.  He'd lose his job, his flat, and would end his days from a self-inflicted stiletto-heel to the brain.

I am the greatest hero that the world has ever known, at least to him.

I fail to see the problem.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Siege

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 09, 2012, 07:32:51 PM
What would R. Lee Ermy say?

He was a POG. He was not an infantryman, never deployed as an infantryman, and his only call to glory was to serve as a Drill Sergeant safely at state-side.
He wasn't even a Gunery Sergeant (E-7). He left the Marine Corp as an Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was promoted to E-7 much later, as an honorific from the Corp for his contribution as an actor for a good image for the Marine Corp.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Darth Wagtaros

Yes. I know that.  It was meant in jest.  Calm yourself soldier. 
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2012, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 09, 2012, 07:32:51 PM
What would R. Lee Ermy say?

He was a POG. He was not an infantryman, never deployed as an infantryman, and his only call to glory was to serve as a Drill Sergeant safely at state-side.
He wasn't even a Gunery Sergeant (E-7). He left the Marine Corp as an Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was promoted to E-7 much later, as an honorific from the Corp for his contribution as an actor for a good image for the Marine Corp.

So Seigy, would you be happy to serve in a scout sniper unit that had that flag as an unofficial banner ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:19:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2012, 08:12:49 PM
Can't tell if serious.

Completely serious.

It uses two letters with a particular font that is similar to the font the SS used. The spacing is different, the color is different. If in fact they wished to make it clear they were trying to emulate the actual SS, they did a pretty damn poor job of it - and since the concern (if there is ANY valid angst over this) would and should be over a bunch of Marines thinking they should emulate the ethos or methods of the SS then certainly the only relevant question is this - "Do *these* particular Marines intend for that flag to emulate the SS?"

And I think the answer is pretty obviously no, because other than sharing the actual letters (which is explained by them in fact being Scout-Snipers) and the lightning bolt font (which was certainly selected by them for the same reason the actual SS selected it - it looks cool), there is no obvious attempt to make their flag look like an SS flag. And if they did in fact desire that, it would be much more obvious - the coloring alone, for example.

Has the existence of the SS forever made the use of the lightning bolt S in any context suddenly verboten?

I get why this is going to be a minor tempest in a teapot, because the Marty's of the world will look for any excuse to wring their hands and bitch and cry about the nasty military, and it isn't important that their whining actually make any sense. But I am surprised that anyone else would care or make any particular note of it, other than the basic "Damnit, Marines, you should have known the Marty's of the world would use this to get all choked up about - use your fucking heads already!"

I don't look at that picture and make ANY assumptions about those men that is any different because of that flag (other than that they should be smart enough not to give ammo to the emotards). Do you? Do you seriously think that them having that flag says anything about how they operate or their philosophy or ethics?

I agree. Battle Flags, which in reality are not battle flags anymore since we don't use them in battle no more, are chosen per PLATOON, based in 3 criteria:
1- Has relevance for the Platoon.
2- Looks fucking awesomly cool.
3- It is relatively unique.

Based on this, a platoon chooses a battle name, a battle flag, and a call-sign.
During my service I have known platoons named Stalkers, Strayers, Slayers, Hell Hammers, Death Hammers, Battle Hammers, Regulators, Roger's Rovers, Blue Balls, Deliverers, Barbarians, Death Dealers, Dogs of War, Red Knights, Avengers, Raptors, Wolf pack, Dixie Dancers, etc.
These includes a few that raised eye-brows in the leadership above.
Whitey= Accused of white supremacy by some POGs after hearing their call signs (and some stupid jokes) over the net. Charges dropped after finding out the PLT Sergeant, an squad leader and two team leaders were actually african-americans. Their picked Whitey as their call-sign beacuse their were the 2nd platoon in their company, and the 3 platoons were color coded for internal company tracking as the colors of the american flag, Red, White and Blue. Since they were the 2nd platoon, White, they decided to call temselves Whiteys all over the net all the way to Division level. Not very smart, since our Division, 2nd Infantry Division, "Second To None", callsigned "Indianhead" because of the indian in the division battle flag, so many support units under the division are called some form of indian.
So it when like this:
"Indian x-ray, this is whitey 6, over."
"Whitey 6, this is indian x-ray, send it."
"Indian X-ray, this is whitey 6, break, Whitey element entering
Indian AO (area of operations) heading for OBJ (objective) Brown, break,
SITREP as follows."
And so on.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

PDH

Whitey Faggot?

That is a bit risque for a platoon battle name.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM