Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2012, 04:13:30 PM
Will Muslims see this as a bad thing or a good thing?

I think this will be the first time one of these "scandals" will enrage Americans more then then the Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

I don't think the flag looks all that much like the SS logo at all. No deaths head. No circle. Just the lighning bolt "SS" that does in fact fit just fine with "Scout-Sniper".

Much ado about nothing at all, as usual.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Sniper unit will have white on black counter for a Afghan wargame.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2012, 05:48:53 PM
I can imagine that a lot of people who are not into history (that's at least 95% of the population) don't know what the flag means. 
Yep. Soldiers aren't known for being the brightest bunch.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on February 09, 2012, 08:12:05 PM
I don't think the flag looks all that much like the SS logo at all. No deaths head. No circle. Just the lighning bolt "SS" that does in fact fit just fine with "Scout-Sniper".

Much ado about nothing at all, as usual.

Yes. The two are very different.
PDH!

FunkMonk

I'm thinking along the lines of:

"Hey man, we need a battle flag for our section."
"Hell yeah! Just like the Confederacy!"
"Naw man that shit's played out. We need something that's special, that no one else has, and makes sense for us."
"Okay, we're badass scout snipers... wait. What goes with the letters SS?
*frantic google-fu*
"Dude, those lightning bolts look fucking wicked!!!"
*one print shop and flag-maker later... MSNBC*

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadBurgerMaker

IIRC they've been using this particular symbol since before there was an MSNBC.  Vietnam, I think? 

dps

Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2012, 09:49:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2012, 05:48:53 PM
I can imagine that a lot of people who are not into history (that's at least 95% of the population) don't know what the flag means. 
Yep. Soldiers aren't known for being the brightest bunch.

They aren't soldiers.  They're Marines.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on February 09, 2012, 04:27:47 PM
Good thing that only resembles an SS flag, because had they chosen two runic S's then it would seem a lot closer...

I thought the same thing. I guess if you change colors it just "resembles" the original. :P

Zanza

Did the SS use that logo on flags? I don't remember any photos with such a flag. I think they used the swastika flag.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on February 10, 2012, 02:45:01 AM
Did the SS use that logo on flags? I don't remember any photos with such a flag. I think they used the swastika flag.

Who the fuck is saying they used a logo from the "SS flag"?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 09, 2012, 11:20:50 PM
IIRC they've been using this particular symbol since before there was an MSNBC.  Vietnam, I think?
I think that would have been mentioned wouldn't it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point