Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 09:43:52 AM
Before: fill in the blank.

"The farmer said this fall he expects a bumper ______."

That can withstand a 5mph impact?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 09:44:24 AM
I guess I am confused: if you cannot be offended by the symbols of Nazi Germany what exactly is a legitimate reason to be offended Berkut? 

That is just it - I do not think it is a symbol of Nazi Germany. I think it has a coincidental similarity.

If I thought that they were all sitting around saying "Hey, we should totally admire and emulate the Nazi SS in our ethics and actions, and lets create this flag to make it clear that is what we stand for" then that would be extremely offensive.

"Lets make a badass Scout-Sniper flag using these cool lightning bolt S's!" is nothing to be offended about - except insofar that they should have been smart enough (or at least their officers should have been) to recognize that even coincidental similarities are enough to get the tenders panties all wadded up.

But hey, they are Marines, they are not selected for their cultural sensitivity. Shrug.

Let me put it to you like this:

If you were their commanding officer, and you came across them posing with the flag, would you:

A. Be offended that your men are apparently glorifying the Waffen SS, and concerned that they might all be Nazis? or
B. Chuckle at their attempt at being "bad ass" and tell them having a flag that even passing resembles a Waffen SS emblem is a bad idea and order them to get rid of it?

I think the answer is B, and am surprised that so many people seem to assume A, beyond the "birther" types who are just looking for something to find offensive.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Not assuming their Nazi's. That would be for CID to figure out.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:51:27 AM
That is just it - I do not think it is a symbol of Nazi Germany. I think it has a coincidental similarity.

There is nothing coincidental about it.  As you said it is an attempt to be badass and hardcore by associating with some badass hardcore dudes like the Waffen SS.  It is a homage to the SS and how awesome they were for godsake that is the intention.  It is pretty funny.  But come on dude you have to have "panties" and be fucking "sensitive" to be offended by the SS?  What.  The.  Fuck?

You are taking 'outrage at PC' to stupid new levels.  The Marines did this precisely to be hardcore and shock people for fucksake.  At least give them their due.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Face it, these Marines, never having contact with the world, history (ok, that is likely), or never used the internet, came up with the side by side runic S symbology all on their own.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I thought Berkut was a wargamer.  Well, I suppose this dispenses with that notion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

We had this discussion quite recently with the pissing on corpses incident. As in the former case I go with Berkut's point B. With the way things go viral on the internet it is important to get people like lieutenants and senior sergeants to realise that this sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud. It is their duty to protect their grunts from their own foolishness.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 10, 2012, 10:06:56 AM
We had this discussion quite recently with the pissing on corpses incident. As in the former case I go with Berkut's point B. With the way things go viral on the internet it is important to get people like lieutenants and senior sergeants to realise that this sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud. It is their duty to protect their grunts from their own foolishness.

I think we can all agree with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"B" is the correct choice, but the rest of his arguement is not.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:51:27 AM

There is nothing coincidental about it.  As you said it is an attempt to be badass and hardcore by associating with some badass hardcore dudes like the Waffen SS.  It is a homage to the SS and how awesome they were for godsake that is the intention.  It is pretty funny.  But come on dude you have to have "panties" and be fucking "sensitive" to be offended by the SS?  What.  The.  Fuck?

You are taking 'outrage at PC' to stupid new levels.  The Marines did this precisely to be hardcore and shock people for fucksake.  At least give them their due.

Meh, I don't buy it. If they wanted it to look like the SS, they did a pretty shitty job of it, since it doesn't look like an SS symbol at all, except in passing.

I guess you can believe they know just enough about the Waffen SS to know that they should use two lightning bolt S's, but not enough to know that they should be right next to each other, white on a black background, include a deaths head, etc., etc.

And yes, you have to be pretty damn sensitve to be offended by this, absolutely. It isn't about being PC though, it is about the need to manufacture outrage.

0 rows returned

Berkut

:yes:

0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:42:51 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 09:36:44 AM
The problem with symbols is that they have cultural meaning, Berk.  In this case, while your qualifier "forever" makes the answer no, the presence the runic double S has meaning that does indeed resonate.

Good point, but my point is that one should not be offended or concerned about the meaning behind a symbol unless there is some good reason to think the person(s) using the symbol actually intend for it to reflect that meaning. KISS using the runic S font is not an issue because nobody really thinks that they are trying to emulate the Nazi SS, even if they symbol in question shares some coincidental similarity.

How is this any different? Do people think they actually were trying to re-create the Nazi SS symbol? Because they did a piss poor job if they were - it is the wrong color, wrong spacing, and has none of the typical iconography that goes with the SS.

I am not surprised that this gets used just like I am not surprised that there are birthers in the world. But I am not going to agree with them.

So you're saying that if a political party uses a blue swastika, on a green background....it's OK, because it's nothing like the Nazi black on red?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:42:51 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 09:36:44 AM
The problem with symbols is that they have cultural meaning, Berk.  In this case, while your qualifier "forever" makes the answer no, the presence the runic double S has meaning that does indeed resonate.

Good point, but my point is that one should not be offended or concerned about the meaning behind a symbol unless there is some good reason to think the person(s) using the symbol actually intend for it to reflect that meaning. KISS using the runic S font is not an issue because nobody really thinks that they are trying to emulate the Nazi SS, even if they symbol in question shares some coincidental similarity.

How is this any different? Do people think they actually were trying to re-create the Nazi SS symbol? Because they did a piss poor job if they were - it is the wrong color, wrong spacing, and has none of the typical iconography that goes with the SS.

I am not surprised that this gets used just like I am not surprised that there are birthers in the world. But I am not going to agree with them.

So you're saying that if a political party uses a blue swastika, on a green background....it's OK, because it's nothing like the Nazi black on red?

Depends on why I think they are using it - does the swastika have any use OTHER THAN as a representation of the Nazi's? I don't know of one myself, so I would in fact assume that someone using a swastika, no matter what color, is an attempt to associate themselves to the Nazis. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise though, but it would be a tough sell.

Obviously the letters S do in fact have some use beyond them standing for Schutszstaffel. So I am not going to assume that their use is necessarily intended to create an association.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 10:09:09 AM

Meh, I don't buy it. If they wanted it to look like the SS, they did a pretty shitty job of it, since it doesn't look like an SS symbol at all, except in passing.

Of course you don't buy it.  American Military is part of your "Tribe".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017