News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/7/21/joe-biden-has-dropped-out-of-the-presidential-race-what-happens-next

Looking around for articles on actual rules to choose a new nominee I got this.  Executive summary, there are no rules.  Except that 300 delegate signatures are needed to nominate.

Chaos baby.

Or maybe someone proposes Harris, unanimous vote by the delegates, everyone leaves to get drunk.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 21, 2024, 01:26:54 PMOvB looking like a real dumbass now.  :lmfao:

Kamala sound vaguely Islamic, he'll be fine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Bad show from Biden in keeping it 100% definite until suddenly it's off. Was there any positive reason for him to do this? Seems bad to me.

But fingers crossed America can be saved...
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 21, 2024, 01:48:21 PMBad show from Biden in keeping it 100% definite until suddenly it's off. Was there any positive reason for him to do this? Seems bad to me.

If this means what I think it means, he didn't. 

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 21, 2024, 01:48:21 PMBad show from Biden in keeping it 100% definite until suddenly it's off. Was there any positive reason for him to do this? Seems bad to me.

Handing off the loss to someone else so he's not remembered as the last president who lost before the trump-ocalypse :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2024, 01:52:09 PM

If this means what I think it means, he didn't. 

If what means what you think it means?
Seems he was pretty gung ho no addressing any doubts he's definitely running until suddenly it turns out all the chatter from others was right.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on July 21, 2024, 02:00:15 PMIf what means what you think it means?
Seems he was pretty gung ho no addressing any doubts he's definitely running until suddenly it turns out all the chatter from others was right.

He got sick and realized he couldn't effectively run. Done.

On to the next candidate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

If Biden wanted to stay in the race, he had no choice but to be 100% definite until the end.  The moment he signaled hesitation would be the moment the avalanche of pressure would come down on him.  That's exactly what happened when eventually he conceded he might bow out if some health reasons surfaced.  Politics plays by the laws of the jungle.

Josquius

The republicans have been putting a lot of energy into attacking Bidens age.... Hopefully now this will bite them in the arse as people realise at that age a sudden mental decline can come at any moment - and look who else is that old.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I know this puts my party into a state of crisis that has a tight timeline to be resolved in a way that unites the party and appeals to independents and anti-Trump conservatives as much as possible.

However...wow am I relieved. We might not be heading straight off a cliff after all. I will pretend this means the day is saved for a few hours before I start hand wringing again tomorrow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I think the good thing is that this forces a lot of attention on Democrats now, which is something they haven't been able to generate with Biden.  I think the big problem for Democrats is the enthusiasm gap.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2024, 02:08:01 PMI know this puts my party into a state of crisis that has a tight timeline to be resolved in a way that unites the party and appeals to independents and anti-Trump conservatives as much as possible.

However...wow am I relieved. We might not be heading straight off a cliff after all. I will pretend this means the day is saved for a few hours before I start hand wringing again tomorrow.

Amen!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 21, 2024, 02:00:15 PMIf what means what you think it means?

"It"

He said he would consider dropping out after checking with a doctor.  Considering dropping out is not the same thing as being definite you will stay in. 

Sophie Scholl

I don't know if Kamala will win, but for the first time in months I feel hopeful. I don't know how long that will last, but gods does it feel nice to finally left out a little of the breath I wasn't fully aware I was holding.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."