News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2024, 05:21:51 PMYou are correct.  That's my point.  How does a job title change the exact same act to "squashing?"
If I chat with people at a similar level in my industry we're networking and chatting. If my boss talks with other media company bosses there's a strong risk it's collusion and possibly anti-competitive behaviour.

Power matters (I actually think more job titles). Look at all the articles about the decisive, consequential role Nancy Pelosi has played in getting Biden to step down - as far as I can see she's barely made any public statement on it. It's conversations outside the public eye.

We've all talked about Biden stepping aside in this thread and it's been just that - talk. But when Nancy Pelosi is talking about it with, say, elected Democrats, party officials, campaign teams, the Clintons and Obama etc, she is not just talking about it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 21, 2024, 05:27:31 PMIt's only tragic if Harris wins. If she loses he'll be the guy who won once and could have won again but was pushed out by fickle democrats to their and americas doom. History is written by the victors, but even the losers get different epitaphs based out outcomes.
Yeah - but I think I mean on a personal level. Biden has a lengthy, distinguished career. He's a fantastic vice-president and I think a surprisingly effective president. And I think the abiding memory of him will be the debate, the pressure to step down and this moment.

I think the debate even means that in November there will be relatively few people saying he was the guy who could have won again.

As I say I think the people around him let him down.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

How the hell are the Clinton's still powerful? Bill last ruled over 20 years ago and Hillary was a loser. It'd be like (zombie) bob dole pulling strings for the republicans  Democrats need new and younger blood.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2024, 05:30:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2024, 05:21:51 PMYou are correct.  That's my point.  How does a job title change the exact same act to "squashing?"
If I chat with people at a similar level in my industry we're networking and chatting. If my boss talks with other media company bosses there's a strong risk it's collusion and possibly anti-competitive behaviour.

Power matters (I actually think more job titles). Look at all the articles about the decisive, consequential role Nancy Pelosi has played in getting Biden to step down - as far as I can see she's barely made any public statement on it. It's conversations outside the public eye.

We've all talked about Biden stepping aside in this thread and it's been just that - talk. But when Nancy Pelosi is talking about it with, say, elected Democrats, party officials, campaign teams, the Clintons and Obama etc, she is not just talking about it.

It's....squashing?  Collusion?

I imagine she says the exact same thing we say here.  Joe, we have a better chance with someone else.  The public has turned against you. Blah blah blah.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2024, 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 21, 2024, 05:27:31 PMIt's only tragic if Harris wins. If she loses he'll be the guy who won once and could have won again but was pushed out by fickle democrats to their and americas doom. History is written by the victors, but even the losers get different epitaphs based out outcomes.
Yeah - but I think I mean on a personal level. Biden has a lengthy, distinguished career. He's a fantastic vice-president and I think a surprisingly effective president. And I think the abiding memory of him will be the debate, the pressure to step down and this moment.

I think the debate even means that in November there will be relatively few people saying he was the guy who could have won again.

As I say I think the people around him let him down.

That's the history because the only people liberals like tearing down more than conservatives is other liberals. They're like a bunch of hamster eating their young the moment they get spooked. The people around him might have been naive but media and his colleagues did the damage. Trump isn't and wasn't any more there than Biden. Conservatives just shut up about it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Jacob

On the upside, it really opens up the "look... the man is a demented old idiot, anyone can see it" line of attack against Trump.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on July 21, 2024, 03:55:24 PMI think this is a disastrous decision, but I'll be absolutely elated if I'm wrong.
Same
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

So, Shapiro is obviously the best strategic choice for VP right?

He's governor of Pennsylvannia and a striaght, white man, so I have to think he's at the top of their list.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2024, 08:13:09 PMSo, Shapiro is obviously the best strategic choice for VP right?

He's governor of Pennsylvannia and a striaght, white man, so I have to think he's at the top of their list.

:Joos :osama: :ph34r:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2024, 06:32:45 PMOn the upside, it really opens up the "look... the man is a demented old idiot, anyone can see it" line of attack against Trump.

Yes, exactly.  The Americans no longer have to choose between two incoherent old men.  And focus can be directed back on how dangerous Trump is.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2024, 08:13:09 PMSo, Shapiro is obviously the best strategic choice for VP right?

I'd say Roy Cooper. He's on the tail-end of his second of two terms as governor of North Carolina, a winnable state for the Democrats. I think Pennsylvania will go blue once again and, possibly, depriving the state of its governor wouldn't be great. Not as bad as taking Kentucky's Democrat governor away, mind, but still not the best move.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 21, 2024, 08:31:38 PM

I'd say Roy Cooper. He's on the tail-end of his second of two terms as governor of North Carolina, a winnable state for the Democrats. I think Pennsylvania will go blue once again and, possibly, depriving the state of its governor wouldn't be great. Not as bad as taking Kentucky's Democrat governor away, mind, but still not the best move.

The Lt. Governor is a fascist, no way in hell are they choosing Cooper.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2024, 08:35:47 PM

Why not?  Cooper is term-limited out anyway (and the NC gubernatorial is this year as well), and no reason he needs to resign prior to the election.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 21, 2024, 09:22:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2024, 08:35:47 PM

Why not?  Cooper is term-limited out anyway (and the NC gubernatorial is this year as well), and no reason he needs to resign prior to the election.

If he leaves the state, Lt. Gov assumes the mantel of temp. Governor, and so Cooper never leaves the state to prevent him from fucking everything up

1 Karma Chameleon point