Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Duque de Bragança

Assuming they don't mess it up with faulty metric to imperial conversions, involving liquids and solids, and vice versa.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 11, 2024, 07:40:40 AMBan milk with tea (and coffee) for the over 16s in the UK while you are at it.  :P

It's not called milk with tea.
It's just tea.
And what you are proposing is a declaration of war.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Do you call normal tea "tea without milk"?

Actual question :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on June 11, 2024, 11:30:49 AMDo you call normal tea "tea without milk"?

Actual question :D

Eww.

But no. I'm just joking. Certainly a majority have milk but it's not universal.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Does the milk majority pour milk on their gunpowder tea as well?  :P

Tamas

Labour folks like to hold grudges don't they? Liverpool Labour guy has a go at Starmer for daring ti advertise in the Sun, which is apparently shunned in the city to this day due to their Hillsborough reporting:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/11/labour-candidate-in-liverpool-criticises-starmer-for-advert-on-sun-homepage

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2024, 01:29:11 PMLabour folks like to hold grudges don't they? Liverpool Labour guy has a go at Starmer for daring ti advertise in the Sun, which is apparently shunned in the city to this day due to their Hillsborough reporting:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/11/labour-candidate-in-liverpool-criticises-starmer-for-advert-on-sun-homepage

It is the one great advantage of the Right.  Often times they won't splinter over petty issues.  What is going on in BC at the moment being one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

Sheilbh

It's not the first time this has come up for Starmer - he's given interviews to the Sun too. Liverpool as a city has boycotted the Sun since Hillsborough. So this is a standard thing you'd expect a candidate in Liverpool to say.

But engaging with the Sun in any way (advertising, doing an interview) is unpopular with Labour for the Liverpool connection but also more broadly it's a bit of a purity test for the left on whether you're willing to engage with the Murdoch press or any of the right-wing papers. It's seen as suspect for example that Wes Streeting has written for the Telegraph. I think broadly Labour leaders who win are broadly willing to talk to papers that might be read by people who aren't already planning to vote Labour :lol:

I also think, from the left, there is a massive double standard here given that they had no issue with Corbyn's appearances on Russia Today, the show he hosted on (Iranian backed) Press TV or doing interviews with the Morning Star.

And 40 years is nothing for Labour (or, indeed, Liverpool) grudges. That's basically yesterday :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2024, 01:55:37 PMIt is the one great advantage of the Right.  Often times they won't splinter over petty issues.  What is going on in BC at the moment being one of the exceptions that proves the rule.
By my count there are five main Trotskyist strands in the UK who all hate each other passionately. There is almost zero difference in their views on ideology but they are fiercely opposed to each other on tactical points :lol:

Whoever taught the left the word "praxis" has a lot to answer for.

But I think it is a thing that can be off-putting about the left. I think there is something to the old line that the left looks for heretics while the right looks for converts. There is nothing the right loves more than a conversion story of how you became conservative - and there is nothing the left loves more than unearthing and re-enacting last generation's factional fight :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

The left also enjoys uncovering and denouncing those who are insufficiently pure. Which can get a bit tedious.

Tamas

Yes, the better people are on the left but what makes the right unpleasant on a personal as well as an organisational level also gives them an edge in political competition.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2024, 02:22:13 PMThe left also enjoys uncovering and denouncing those who are insufficiently pure. Which can get a bit tedious.

It is weird such an annoying quality of protestant Christianity got passed on to the godless leftists. If you stand for the people, maybe be a bit tolerant of foibles of humanity?

Granted this general quality might be one of those things that is more prominent online than IRL, though the joke about the Judean People's Front vs the People's Front of Judea vs The Judean Popular Front vs the League for a Free Galilea certainly came from someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2024, 02:22:13 PMThe left also enjoys uncovering and denouncing those who are insufficiently pure. Which can get a bit tedious.
Yes (and guilty - towards my enemies :ph34r:).

QuoteGranted this general quality might be one of those things that is more prominent online than IRL, though the joke about the Judean People's Front vs the People's Front of Judea vs The Judean Popular Front vs the League for a Free Galilea certainly came from someplace.
Well those five strands of British Trots who hate each other used to be four strands who all hated each other even back in the 60s (one of them subsequently split :lol:). But I think it was a stereotype even then.

QuoteYes, the better people are on the left but what makes the right unpleasant on a personal as well as an organisational level also gives them an edge in political competition.
I'm not sure the better people are on the left from my experience - which is far more on the left. There's some very unpleasant people and behaviour on the left - I think particularly on the hard left. I think in part precisely because they think they're the good guys.

My experience of Tories is generally just a lot of very vicious, gossipy gays :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2024, 02:44:48 PMI'm not sure the better people are on the left from my experience - which is far more on the left. There's some very unpleasant people and behaviour on the left - I think particularly on the hard left. I think in part precisely because they think they're the good guys.

My experience of Tories is generally just a lot of very vicious, gossipy gays :lol:

My time involved in more organized politics I thought I found was 95% some really nice and lovely people - and 5% real cranks and nutjobs.  Now this was obviously on the right, and was 20-30 years ago.  Really almost no experience with "gossipy gays" but that might be the difference between a Canadian prairie populist party and the UK Tories.

I don't know to what extent I'd find the same feeling today though, as sometimes it feels like the cranks have taken over.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Albertan Conservatives weren't molded by the UK Public Schools (by which I mean exclusive Private Schools) along with Oxbridge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."