News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2024, 03:49:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2024, 03:41:07 AMNot one of my favorites growing up

I will never be able to look at you the same way again.

Tbf, none of the Disney movies from that period is particularly great. Now, when you're a child you don't care and you get attached to random stuff (like me with the archery stuff in Robin Hood, which is a poor movie), but for whatever reason Jungle Book just didn't grab me as a child.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on January 26, 2024, 11:50:54 PM
Quote from: Gups on January 26, 2024, 05:20:56 PMEp1 Masters of Air was good. A decent sound bar helps

So far so good. The only weird thing, and this is a me thing, is that I kept seeing Elvis. Which is odd because I don't normally typecast actors.

Also is one of those guys, the puking navigator, Matthew Broderick's son, cause it sure looks like him?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Totally Killer

With Kiernan Shipka from Sabrina.

Pretty good slasher comedy, very funny look at the late 80s teen culture, seen by a modern teen.

It's a cross between Return to the Future and I know what you did last summer, or Scream.

Nothing highly original, just funny moments that make you smile or laugh, even though people get killed.

35 years ago, the Sweet sixteen killer. Was striking in a small US town.  Now, he's at it again, so Jamie, a teenage girl, travels 35 years back in time to stop the killer.

Obviously, while back in time, she meets her parents.  And some culture shock happens.

All in all 3.5/5.  You will be entertained, but you will not be gripping the sofa wondering what's going to happen next.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2024, 04:25:16 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2024, 03:49:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2024, 03:41:07 AMNot one of my favorites growing up

I will never be able to look at you the same way again.

Tbf, none of the Disney movies from that period is particularly great. Now, when you're a child you don't care and you get attached to random stuff (like me with the archery stuff in Robin Hood, which is a poor movie), but for whatever reason Jungle Book just didn't grab me as a child.

Robin Hood was probably my favourite Disney film as a kid.
That and the Rescuers.

Even as a kid though I was one who yawns and goes to get a snack when it comes to the songs, which for many is the main point of a Disney film. I think what turns Disney fans off on them is what appealed to me.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on January 27, 2024, 03:39:47 PMTotally Killer

With Kiernan Shipka from Sabrina.

Pretty good slasher comedy, very funny look at the late 80s teen culture, seen by a modern teen.

It's a cross between Return to the Future and I know what you did last summer, or Scream.

Nothing highly original, just funny moments that make you smile or laugh, even though people get killed.

35 years ago, the Sweet sixteen killer. Was striking in a small US town.  Now, he's at it again, so Jamie, a teenage girl, travels 35 years back in time to stop the killer.

Obviously, while back in time, she meets her parents.  And some culture shock happens.

All in all 3.5/5.  You will be entertained, but you will not be gripping the sofa wondering what's going to happen next.

I thought it was fun and better than I expected. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

So, my mother told me today she wants to see "Zone of Interest" because she heard some reviewer in the radio praising it. I warned her it's probably going to be pretty experimental (because Glazer), but she replied: "I like Holocaust movies" - which came off a little weird  :D

Admiral Yi

Started rewatching Sopranos on HBO.  Awesome.

Josquius

2/3 of. Oppemheimer
Final third tonight - I clearly knew nothing of him before hand as honestly I thought he was German.
Interesting accent. Orson Wellsy. Or rather a cartoon character (futurama?) doing an Orson Wells bit.

It's a decent film. The story is just not that interesting. But they make it so with good pacing and use of music.
 Not sure on the random black and white bits though and some of the time line is confused my gf is sure the meeting Einstein by the lake bit where he storms off came before the later Einstein meeting where he is friendly. I disagree.
Also when the son suddenly shows up again after he gave him away. Huh.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2024, 06:48:03 PMStarted rewatching Sopranos on HBO.  Awesome.

Yeah that still holds up well.

Notice, though, how Tony's daughter got a nose job between the pilot episode and the next episode  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on January 28, 2024, 06:28:37 AMNotice, though, how Tony's daughter got a nose job between the pilot episode and the next episode  :D

I did not.

celedhring

So, Zone of Interest. It's an extraordinary film, very much in the literal sense of the word of not being like any other - it feels a lot more like an essay on evil and its representation than a narrative film.

For those not aware, the concept is that it shows you the life of the Auswitch commandant and his family without ever showing you directly what happens in the camp, or even the inside of it. There are allusions aplenty, and the camp is a strong presence throughout since the family's home is right next to the camp's barbed walls. On that regard, The soundtrack is mind-blowing, with the all the domestic scenes set against the background of the sounds from the camp - guards yelling, dogs barking, the rumbling of the ovens, the occasional gunshots...

This makes for 15-20 extremely chilling minutes, before it becomes monotonous and one-note (which, yes, I presume is part of the point). The film manages to remain engaging when it puts the focus on the comandant's wife, who is by far the most interesting character in the whole movie. She (and his husband) are described as being lower class and to her, the luxurious life she leads at the camp is the culmination of their social advancement. She loves her garden, their pool and large house, having servants (prisoners), she wears fur coats that they stole from them... and she excuses her lack of empathy by mentioning that the prisoners probably deserve to be there. It's a chilling portrayal of evil in ordinary people.

The film loses steam in the last third, which focuses on the commandant. He's dull, and uninteresting - which once more I understand is the fucking point - he's just a clerk who toils to improve his numbers to impress his superiors so he can get a promotion. The film features plenty of those "let's talk about murdering scores of people like we're manufacturing cars" chillingly dehumanizing scenes.

Anyway, a film that deserves to be seen, even if I feel it works more intellectually - thinking about it and debating it - than actually watching it.

FunkMonk

Everyone get their tickets for Dune yet?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

For All Mankind. MILD SPOILERS.

So, overall it was enjoyable and kudos for the overall premise but the writers were not that good. Too much soap opera, too little space.

One of the problems is that the first 3 seasons went in hard on societal issues but Mad Men did the same in the exact same time period as the first two seasons, with far, far, far better writing.

And season 4's rush to become The Expanse felt super unrealistic. Also the ending conveniently skipped on closing the storylines of characters who were maneuvered into a dead end by the script.

Also regarding the focus on societal issues and of course with a firm progressive stand, the writers still managed to a) make most of the story be driven by, basically, the toxic masculinity of the main character and b) still have a female character be the cause of many of the problems by her being unable to control her emotions and desires. For me this made the whole societal message forced and insincere.

Overall, 5 Soviet moon landings out of 10.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 28, 2024, 03:55:44 PMEveryone get their tickets for Dune yet?

Nope, can't order that much in advance over here, but a date to watch has been set. So there's that

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on January 28, 2024, 06:18:39 AM2/3 of. Oppemheimer
Final third tonight - I clearly knew nothing of him before hand as honestly I thought he was German.
Interesting accent. Orson Wellsy. Or rather a cartoon character (futurama?) doing an Orson Wells bit.

It's a decent film. The story is just not that interesting. But they make it so with good pacing and use of music.
 Not sure on the random black and white bits though and some of the time line is confused my gf is sure the meeting Einstein by the lake bit where he storms off came before the later Einstein meeting where he is friendly. I disagree.
Also when the son suddenly shows up again after he gave him away. Huh.
Just watched it yesterday (and started Saturday).

I think Pitch Meeting or Honest Trailers described it as the Nolanest Nolan movie. I got that sense. It wasn't bad. 

I believe they got the son back at some point.  Once Kitty was slightly more a functional alcoholic.

PDH!