And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2024, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2024, 08:17:34 AMYeah I still wish though that not every plot ever was centered around the OH SO IMPORTANT inner conflicts of a couple of key characters.

Yeah me neither. That's one of the reasons I mostly ignore TV and films coming out of "the Hollywood school of writing". It seems inevitable that it's going to be about that OH SO IMPORTANT conflict, and that at least half the time is going to be about "HOW DO WE KICK IT UP A NOTCH AND INCREASE THE STAKES?"

It's getting a bit tedious. It doesn't help that the pacing is often very similar.

Yeah, For All Mankind went all in on this with the space programs of both superpowers resting on about 4 to 6 people's interpersonal relationships.

But the peak of this had to be Sons of Anarchy, which over the seasons devolved into its own parody. After some point all every supporting character (various badass independent-mined bikers) did was to sit around waiting to be an errand boy in the lead family's (like, 3 people) feuds.

Agreed.
I wanted to enjoy For all man kind. The latter series especially sound cool.
But...its just Mad Men but with the marketing bits dropped out for space programme bits. And done less well.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on February 02, 2024, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2024, 11:02:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 01, 2024, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2024, 08:17:34 AMYeah I still wish though that not every plot ever was centered around the OH SO IMPORTANT inner conflicts of a couple of key characters.

Yeah me neither. That's one of the reasons I mostly ignore TV and films coming out of "the Hollywood school of writing". It seems inevitable that it's going to be about that OH SO IMPORTANT conflict, and that at least half the time is going to be about "HOW DO WE KICK IT UP A NOTCH AND INCREASE THE STAKES?"

It's getting a bit tedious. It doesn't help that the pacing is often very similar.

Yeah, For All Mankind went all in on this with the space programs of both superpowers resting on about 4 to 6 people's interpersonal relationships.

But the peak of this had to be Sons of Anarchy, which over the seasons devolved into its own parody. After some point all every supporting character (various badass independent-mined bikers) did was to sit around waiting to be an errand boy in the lead family's (like, 3 people) feuds.

Agreed.
I wanted to enjoy For all man kind. The latter series especially sound cool.
But...its just Mad Men but with the marketing bits dropped out for space programme bits. And done less well.

I don't see the Mad Men connection so much (other than the time). I did like the alt history stuff in For All...that wasn't so much in Mad Men. Like the Soviets getting to the moon first and how the US reacted. But it didn't hold up for four seasons.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2024, 03:28:40 AMHey Jacob, just noticed Guns of Navarone is on Netflix.

Turns out it's not on the inferior Netflix we have in Canada :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 02, 2024, 10:39:23 AMThe documentaries about Bergman said that he had made comedies earlier in his career.  Has anyone seen those?  I will acknowledge that, in the films of his that I have seen, he can do a witty scene or two, but the "Wild Strawberries" guy doesn't seem like he would be a barrel of laughs.

Wild Strawberries is still, say, lively.  :)
Plus the Virgin Spring got ripped off by Wes Craven who gave us The Last House on the Left:contract:  :D 

Wait until you get to his psychological dramas, then you can complain.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 02, 2024, 11:51:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2024, 03:28:40 AMHey Jacob, just noticed Guns of Navarone is on Netflix.

That's unfortunate. I watched it not too long ago. It looks like it was recently removed.

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2024, 06:21:21 PMI don't see the Mad Men connection so much (other than the time). I did like the alt history stuff in For All...that wasn't so much in Mad Men. Like the Soviets getting to the moon first and how the US reacted. But it didn't hold up for four seasons.

No I think Josq is right. Mad Men did the exact same thing Mankind tried to do: use the historic backdrop of the 60s to reflect on society of the time and its evolution via the personal lives of the characters. Mad Men was about a thousand times more subtle about it with far superior writing (I don't want to say acting too because it's not like an actor can do much with weak writing). e.g. Don Draper's wife had the same "housewife who thought she'd be happy as a housewife but wasn't" thing going on. Did she ever sat down in a bar to explicitly explain to the barkeep her plight of living in the shadow of her husband like the main wife of Mankind did? Hell no, yet it was obvious.

That's for the difference between good writing and not so good writing - if the characters have to spell out feelings exactly (like they always did in Mankind and most other series), that's compensation for writing and/or acting being unable to convey them.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2024, 09:05:55 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 02, 2024, 11:51:51 PM

That's unfortunate. I watched it not too long ago. It looks like it was recently removed.

:cry:

Josquius

Killers of the flower moon.

I knew nothing of this film before hand other than it was getting a lot of postive buzz, Oscar noms, and it was about some murders of native Americans in the interwar period.
I didn't know who was in it or the director.
It...Is good.
Really great costuming and sets and general vibes.
Most historic setting films look at things very zoomed in or use obvious cg to mask they're not actually in that period. This one though it doesn't shy away from open camera shots of wide ranging areas that all look genuine.

A period of history and area I also know next to nothing about. It's interesting. Visibly a modern 20th century period but with wild West natives as sub humans attitudes persisting.

Plot wise they tell just enough to be engaging and don't do as would be expected in such a film and try and leave the murders a big mystery. Rather the mystery, for a far away guy in 2024, is in the setting and why things are so fucked.
Slightly negative though, the passage of time isn't too obvious unless you know a bit of history - like alcohol suddenly being hard to get and Hoover sending an FBI guy down when the whole thing started just after WW1.

I'm not getting quite why the native women all married white guys though. The native guys are all alcoholics would be a guess and somewhat implied?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on February 03, 2024, 03:30:42 PMI'm not getting quite why the native women all married white guys though. The native guys are all alcoholics would be a guess and somewhat implied?

Law required them a white legal guardian to access their fortune.

Syt

First half of Cheers S5 was a bit of a slog. Diane was completely delusional (more than usual) while Sam acts the complete jerk towards her (more than usual). It's improved, fortunately, since they got engaged (and with Shelley Long leaving by the end of the season, I'm kinda glad since it seems they milked the relationship for all it's worth at this point).

Another fun cameo, though. Brent Spiner as guy who was accused of attempting to murder his wife, but his wife dropped the charges.

This episode originally aired 5th February 1987. Star Trek: The Next Generation's Encounter at Farpoint premiered 26th Sep 1987.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2024, 05:53:21 AMAnother fun cameo, though. Brent Spiner as guy who was accused of attempting to murder his wife, but his wife dropped the charges.

This episode originally aired 5th February 1987. Star Trek: The Next Generation's Encounter at Farpoint premiered 26th Sep 1987.

Right. A cameo implies he was well known. I think at this point he was a bit actor grabbing any role he could.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

He's also memorable in night court. 

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on February 05, 2024, 06:41:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2024, 05:53:21 AMAnother fun cameo, though. Brent Spiner as guy who was accused of attempting to murder his wife, but his wife dropped the charges.

Right. A cameo implies he was well known. I think at this point he was a bit actor grabbing any role he could.

Apologies, English is but my second language. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Hanna

I watched the remaining of the 2nd season and the 3rd one.

I am stunned.  Story wise, you'd be tempted to dismiss it as Jason Bourne with teenage girls, but it's so much more than that if you take time to sit and really watch what is going on with everything.

The acting is so good.  And Ray Liotta appears in the final season.  Damn.  From the youngest girls to the elder agent, everyone was so damn good.

The action, the psychological dilemmas, the non-unidimensional characters, their evolution through the series, the torment they each face...  I highly recommend it to anyone who likes espionage series.

There's a bit of science fiction and mystery involved, as it's gradually revealed, so it's not straight up intelligence like, say, Jack Ryan, but it's really good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.